Complete product list for Mongoose Paranoia?

Ok, here goes...

I think the available references online are in error. From what I can gather, what we're calling the GW "2nd edition" is actually the 1st edition, and no true 2nd edition was printed. The cover art for the so-called 2nd edition is from the 1st edition artwork, not the recognizable 2e cover. Also, the ISBN for the 2e book is, in fact, the 1e number (1869893018). Since the book was published by GW in 1986 (October), it was clearly published prior to 2nd edition being released. So, I think all the confusion is simply over the book being mistakenly listed somewhere as the 2nd edition, and that info got repeated by various websites.

Here's the skinny on the 1e & 2e "core material" publication history:

12001 - Paranoia 1st edition boxed set. English/West End Games/ISBN 0874310253

010397 - Paranoia 1st edition HC book. English/Games Workshop/ISBN 1869893018
??????? - Paranoia 1st edition boxed set. French/Unknown Publisher/ISBN Unknown

12001 - Paranoia 2nd edition boxed set. English/WEG/ISBN 0874310180
12000 - Paranoia 2nd edition SC book. English/WEG/ISBN 0874310636

?????? - Paranoia 2nd edition HC book. Spanish/Unknown Publisher/ISBN 8478310339

?????? - Paranoia 2nd edition boxed set. German/Unknown Publisher/ISBN 3927903949
?????? - Paranoia 2nd edition SC book. German/Unknown Publisher/ISBN 3980185036

That's the best that I can come up with. :)

Kurgan said:
Double Paranoia (Vapours Don't Shoot Back + Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues)

Overlooked because it was just a reprint, but I'll go ahead and add it. :)

Well, one might just as well leave out The Computer Always Shoots Twice and the UK hardcover editions. But actually there are some differences, e.g. the original Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues comes with detachable a cardboard GM screen add-on with PC and NPC stats for the adventure, while Double Paranoia only has them printed inside the cover. Similarly Vapors Don't Shoot Back has un-attached covers for this purpose (like several other adventures).

Kurgan said:
Fifth edition hardcover special edition

Are you certain this actually exists? I'm unable to find any record of it.

Unlike everything else on the list, I haven't actually seen a copy of this one. So, I don't actually know if it was really released, but I recall it being listed in some catalogue around the time of the 5th edition release.

Kurgan said:
Sweep of Unhistory / My First Treason

Left off because it was a recall that was subsequently re-released under a different title with additional material. I can add it if you think it's important.

I agree that as a recalled product it's not really important - it's one of the very few items missing from my otherwise complete collection; I had the chance to buy it but I don't think it adds anything, being just a failed printing of something that was correctly released later. But for sake of completeness, it does exist. =)

Kurgan said:
I think the available references online are in error. From what I can gather, what we're calling the GW "2nd edition" is actually the 1st edition, and no true 2nd edition was printed.

This is simply incorrect; I have both the GW 1st and 2nd edition in hardcover.

The GW first edition has the same cover art as the original Vapors Don't Shoot Back adventure (but with the black and yellow striping along the borders that's also found in the GW Double Paranoia book). It contains all the three books from the 1st edition boxed set in one hardcover volume, and includes the adventures from the 1st edition GM screen (but not the actual GM screen). As a funny mistake, the cockroach-obscured paragraph in The Trouble with Cockroaches is actually legible in this edition, because the cockroaches aren't printed in opaque black like they should be. (This reveals the underlying “hidden warning” text to be a copypaste from earlier in the adventure.) The GW first edition ISBN is 1-869893-01-8.

The GW 2nd edition has the same cover art as the WEG 2nd edition, except for a large Games Workshop logo in the lower left corner. The contents are identical to the West End Games 2nd edition, but some pages with tables/etc are printed on blue paper.

The ISBN printed on the GW 2nd edition book is 1-869893-21-1, but that's incorrect; the correct checksum digit would be 2. However, that ISBN is already taken by another GW publication, so the true ISBN of this edition is unknown.

Checklist updated March 29, 2010

Also, I finally got confirmation that the Secret Societies expansion for the Mandatory Bonus Fun Card Game was, indeed, never released. However, along with that info came a promise that the original card game is slated to be re-released sometime in 2010. No comments regarding whether the new release will be different from the original or have any additional material (such as the Secret Societies expansion mentioned above). Here's hoping, though. :)

There was also the test printing of the card game as well.. ?? I'm sure the author sold it on ebay.. I forgot to bid on it dam it at the time..

Brette:)

Updated many moons later (ie. now) to close off the 25th Anniversary collection and add Materials Treacherously Deleted.

The checklist is now complete, although I would enjoy adding a section for the official newsletter if that info were available somewhere.

On a side-note, due to "real life" diverting my attention for a few years, I came back to discover that the 25th Anniversary books had not only ceased publication, but weren't even still available as PDFs!

If anyone knows where a complete collection of PDF versions can still be had, please PM me. (Was 6680 - The Great Outdoors released as a PDF?)

And if anyone knows where I can lay my hands on the following physical books that I missed, at "normal" (-ish) pricing (Amazon sellers are listing them for ridiculously treasonous prices), I'll name my first clone after you:

6669 - Treason in Word and Deed
6670 - Termination Quota Exceeded
6671 - Forms Pack
6673 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Termination Booth
6676 - None of This is My Fault
6677 - Mr Bubbles
6678 - Flashbacks Redux
6679 - Flashbacks Redux Redux

Kurgan,

Thanks for all the updates to the product list. Being a completionist, I decided years ago that the Paranoia line was finite enough to warrant collecting everything (plus I like having as much source/adventure material as possible). At this point I just lack the three 25th anniversary limited edition rulebooks (shame on me for not getting them at the time), and Materials Treacherously Deleted (which I might have a line on). The newsletters I just have PDF copies of, since those are unobtanium.

I actually know a local store that has most of the books you mention (6669 - 6676) on a shelf way in the back. Next time I'm there I'll see if I can pick them up. Mr Bubbles took awhile to find at a decent price; I eventually got one from an Amazon seller for about 20 bucks. Luckily most of the other books can be found for cheap if you wait long enough (I got most of my 1st/2nd edition books in lots on eBay for cheap).

Back