Combat Question

8bitjunkie

Mongoose
Trying to sell this setting to my players...they noticed no Attacks of Opportunity. I am cool with that, but they brought up some concerns...just wondering if I need to house rule it in or something from the SRD.

1) Can NPCs hit and run without consequence?
2) Can an NPC run by a armed/ready PC in a narrow hallway without consequence?

Just curious, can't wait for my book to arrive in the mail! :D

Can an NPC run by a armed/ready PC in a narrow hallway without consequence?

You can't move through a space (square) occupied by an opponent (unless the opponent is helpless). You can try to tumble past an opponent, though, by making an Acrobatics check. If successful he doesn't get to attack, if not you simply didn't manage to get past him and he can attack you with his next action. But if the opponent did ready an action (an attack) he can attack you even if the Acrobatics check is successful (in that case the oppopnent expected you to try to get past him).

Not sure about this, but I think yes, an opponent beginning his turn in reach of you can attack you and then use a move action to get away. But I guess if you survive the attack you can just move after him and hit back the next time it's your turn.

8bitjunkie said:
2) Can an NPC run by a armed/ready PC in a narrow hallway without consequence?

My personnal way of gaming is:
1) let the common sense decide
2) let the fun decide
3) f**k the squares :oops:

So... it depends on the situation... If rule number one can't apply, than apply rule 2. Rule number 2 can ALLWAYS apply. ALLWAY apply rule number 3.

I know this comment is not a big help but that's my own little opinion. :wink:

Confused Wolf said:

Not sure about this, but I think yes, an opponent beginning his turn in reach of you can attack you and then use a move action to get away. But I guess if you survive the attack you can just move after him and hit back the next time it's your turn.

Yes that is how I play it. It gives a little bit more tactical advantage to fast moving combatants.

@ Sabbak I go by the rules when I can but when I'm not sure fun is the way for me too. :)

Confused Wolf answered #1 for me...I like it!
I agree with Sabbak, lets take squares out of the game :D

As for #2...most RPGs (even non-tactical ones) usually still have consequences for hostiles trying to "break the line" or run by (not through) an armed PC in a hallway (for example) to...um...kill the king or something. If the evil NPC can run by the PC and slash the king without some sort of recourse fromt the PC...well, I think there should of been something for that in the Lone Wolf rules.

I follow Sabbak's guidelines, however my players like to have expectations presented to them beforehand, and without the book yet I was just curious if there is anything for this situation in it - :D

Edit: You know, I thought of an answer for #2...If Lone Wolf has the ready an action initiative rules, then a PC only needs to have an action ready similar to "If anyone tries to pass by me, I strike...". This makes sense to me because if the PC isnt ready why not have the hostile run right by the PC to slash the king without consequence? Makes sense to me now after working 15 hours... :shock: What do you guys think?

You could probably add Attack of Opportunity rules in to the game, if you wanted to, without too much difficulty - certainly for movement and other tactical stuff.

You'd need to rule on things like spellcasting...my inclination would be that Dessi and Brothers of the Crystal Star don't trigger AoOs for using their magic - it seems more streamlined to me than a D&D wizard's spellcasting. Still, that would be a personal call...

I'd also give Kai Lords with Hunting the benefit of Combat Reflexes, up to a limit of total AoOs equal to his Hunting Tier. That might take away some of the "Magnamund classes get no feats!" impact, though.

Hello, all.

The "classes get no feats" is not a mandate or an order. It was a design decision to allow us to make the classes as powerful as they appear in the books without completely overpowering them through the addition of feats.

Now that said, it is YOUR game once you get ahold of it. Do ANYTHING you like. You are in control, not us. Have fun; that's the only thing I (or anyone here on the LW Mongoose team) really care about once the game is in your hands. Enjoy!

-August

Back