Combat... Make Sure You Have A Healer...

iamtim

Mongoose
I'm starting my first MRQ game tonight. Last night, one of my buddys came over and we rolled up his character, to help get a feel for that aspect of the system so he can help with the other players tonight. After his character was done, I made a copy for me and we did some sample combats to get a feel for combat.

The characters are playing in a barbarian-esque culture, so they'll all have the barbarian background. This character was a hunter. We opted for melee only (no bows at this point).

It took three rounds to down one of the twain.

In the first round of combat, on my second combat action, I tagged his left leg with a longspear. He parried, which brought his leg down to 1 HP.

In the second round of combat, he opted for an initial flurry -- one hit of which landed true, bringing my right leg down to 0 HP.

In the third round, I flurried in return, crit'ing his right arm with my longspear. His arms were unarmored due to initial starting funds. That was 12 points to his arm, plus the weapon was stuck. I failed to yank it out, which did another 2 points. He failed his Resilience test and fell unconcious.

It was pretty brutal. We ran it by the book, not house-ruling anything. Not even the dodge and parry tables.

In play, I think we'll declare intent to dodge or block when the intent to attack is announced, instead of after a hit is determined.

No; rune magic doesn't exist in the world in which I'm running. Sorcery does, but this culture doesn't practice sorcery. Divine magic is available, but this player didn't want to be an initiate. So it was just heads-up, toe-to-toe, beat-the-crap-out-of-the-other-guy-before-he-beats-the-crap-out-of-me style combat.

In previous editions of RQ if you learne donly one magic spell, and you could choose heal, that is what you chose. Perhaps I exagerate slightly - but only slightly. It's a vital spell in a system like this. It seems that although characters in MRQ start off with pretty decent skills, their magical resources are significantly reduced.

The companion may well introduce rules for characters starting off as initiates in a cult with access to some limited cult rune, or even divine magic. I'm hoping so.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
The companion may well introduce rules for characters starting off as initiates in a cult with access to some limited cult rune, or even divine magic. I'm hoping so.
I think we may have to wait for Magic of Glorantha at the end of the year for the application of the MQ rules to Glorantha, as it looks like the Second Age book will be more background material than system specifics.

Urox said:
simonh said:
I think we may have to wait for Magic of Glorantha at the end of the year for the application of the MQ rules to Glorantha, as it looks like the Second Age book will be more background material than system specifics.

Yes, I think you are correct. Maybe Glorantha has "Cult foccii" that grant spell use similar to the way things worked before? So every PC that is a memeber of a cult could get 1D3 magintudes of focii, devoted to cult spells.

Urox said:
simonh said:

I beleive the focus of the Magic of Glorantha book is on the powerful magics of the EWF and God Learners that goes beyond the scope of the traditional three magics in the third age.

I think the Companion is all you are supposed to need (on top of the core rules) to get started in Glorantha with the first source book. I expect that the Cults of Glorantha book will have new Rune and Divine spells as well, though this is just speculation.

iamtim said:
simonh said:
The companion may well introduce rules for ... divine magic.

It does. They look good.

I know they contain rules for divine magic, that's in the preview, but I don't know if it will be available to starting characters. Any word on this?

Simon Hibbs

Rurik said:
I beleive the focus of the Magic of Glorantha book is on the powerful magics of the EWF and God Learners that goes beyond the scope of the traditional three magics in the third age.

I think the Companion is all you are supposed to need (on top of the core rules) to get started in Glorantha with the first source book. I expect that the Cults of Glorantha book will have new Rune and Divine spells as well, though this is just speculation.

Yes and yes.

simonh said:
I know they contain rules for divine magic, that's in the preview, but I don't know if it will be available to starting characters.

I don't know how much I should really say... while I'm not part of the playtest, I was given a copy of what will most likely be the Companion SRD to make sure that my development is on the right track.

I think it's OK for me to talk in general terms. According to what *I* have, which may or may not be what's released, a character must be an Initiate in a cult to get access to Divine Magic.

Dead Blue Clown said:
Yes and yes.

:) & :)

iamtim said:
I don't know how much I should really say... while I'm not part of the playtest, I was given a copy of what will most likely be the Companion SRD to make sure that my development is on the right track.

I think it's OK for me to talk in general terms. According to what *I* have, which may or may not be what's released, a character must be an Initiate in a cult to get access to Divine Magic.
:

Assuming you can answer:

1) Can players start as intitates like in previous edtions of RQ?

2) Who do we have to kill to get advanced copies of the SRD? :mrgreen:

atgxtg said:
1) Can players start as intitates like in previous edtions of RQ?

Other than "I don't see why not," I have no answer to that. I mean, there's nothing that I read that says you can or can not, so I would interpret that to mean, "yeah, whatever, if your GM is down."

Rurik said:
atgxtg said:
quote="Dead Blue Clown"]
Yes and yes.

Dude, your Lore(Use Forum Quotes) skill must be pretty low.

:D[/quote]

I was impressed with DBC's clear, direct and and precise answer. Hopefully it will start a new trend in the gaming industy. :wink:

atgxtg said:
[qte="Rurik"]["atgxtg"]"Dead Blue Clown"
Yes and yes.

[/quoe]

I was impressed with DBC's clear, direct and and precise answer. Hopefully it will start a new trend in the gaming industy. :wink:[/quote]

I do believe you may be onto something...

Back