Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Cpt.Future

Mongoose
Hello,

there is another question I have concerning the New Traveller combat rules this time.

If a Traveller‘s or opponent‘s characteristics are reduced due to applicable damages, does this have an effect on the current DMs of the attributes as well.

Example: Dexterity falls from 11 to 5 - does the character now apply -1 DM on his next skill or characteristic rolls based on Dexterity?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future

That's how I have understood damaged stats to function. It's also strongly implied by the rule on natural healing (CRB, p, 79):

A Traveller who requires surgery only regains characteristic points equal to his END DM per day of rest, which means that the Traveller may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his END DM is currently negative (and it probably will be…).

Dan.

Same rule applies for psionics. Your psionic DM is based on your current psi score, so it gets harder to activate a power as you use points throughout the day.

Hello.

ochd said:
That's how I have understood damaged stats to function. It's also strongly implied by the rule on natural healing (CRB, p, 79):

A Traveller who requires surgery only regains characteristic points equal to his END DM per day of rest, which means that the Traveller may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his END DM is currently negative (and it probably will be…).

Dan.

Thank you. Yeah, I missed that one. That makes the Game even deadlier ...

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future

Cpt.Future said:
Thank you. Yeah, I missed that one. That makes the Game even deadlier ...

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future

Indeed. And it also helps the players realize how deadly combat can be. Graze your gun bunnies a couple times early on and make them suffer stat penalties - they'll learn quick.

Cpt.Future said:
Hello,

there is another question I have concerning the New Traveller combat rules this time.

If a Traveller‘s or opponent‘s characteristics are reduced due to applicable damages, does this have an effect on the current DMs of the attributes as well.

Example: Dexterity falls from 11 to 5 - does the character now apply -1 DM on his next skill or characteristic rolls based on Dexterity?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
Yes. In Mongoose Traveller, Characteristic Modifiers are the most used thing in the game. So it's important to keep them up-to-date.

Initially, used to HP and similar pools, taking damage directly from the Stats was a distant idea to me.

However, in practice, I admit it's a really clever and simple system that reflects the injury level.

Hello,

arcador said:
Initially, used to HP and similar pools, taking damage directly from the Stats was a distant idea to me.

However, in practice, I admit it's a really clever and simple system that reflects the injury level.

Yes, totally. Kind of mind-blowing tbh. I am very used to games which simulate hit points without considering secondary effects. MgT2 offers a refreshing and exciting alternative to this very classic concept.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future

NOLATrav said:
Indeed. And it also helps the players realize how deadly combat can be. Graze your gun bunnies a couple times early on and make them suffer stat penalties - they'll learn quick.

Gun bunnies... I have a new bit of terminology for a few in my group. Ha!

Cheers, tho the term 'gun bunny' goes back quite a ways. Unfortunately I can't claim it but I'm happy (sort of?...) to see it living on. Hopefully you never get to 'murder hobos' !!!

Back