Clueless GM's Questions

cerebrolator

Mongoose
I just got the B5 game yesterday and I have some questions. They've probably been answered elsewhere but I haven't found them.

First, when is the Fiery Trial module set? during 1st season? before? after?

Second, have errata for the core rule book been released?

Third, the officer class' Branch Elite feat states that "fleet officers may grant a permanent +1 competence bonus to either their DV, sensor score or stealth score of a ship so long as they are personally in command." Am I to assume that means they pick one of those and that is what the ship has in any combat situation, or can they decide to have +1 do the DV in one battle, increase the sensor score in another, etc.?

Fourth, I can't figure out where the 36 total points of damage for the Starfury ramming the Hyperion comes from in the example of collisions on page 73. The base damage is 60 points. Since the starfury is huge, the damage is multiplied by 3. Shouldn't the total be 180? Shouldn't the damage the Hyperion does to the Starfury be 60 X 8 = 480? What am I missing here?

I suppose these questions are a good start. Please help me move beyond cluelessness.

First, welcome.

First, when is the Fiery Trial module set? during 1st season? before? after?

During 1st season, the adventures span the whole year.

Second, have errata for the core rule book been released?

Yes, look in the download section for Q and A.

Third, the officer class' Branch Elite feat states that "fleet officers may grant a permanent +1 competence bonus to either their DV, sensor score or stealth score of a ship so long as they are personally in command." Am I to assume that means they pick one of those and that is what the ship has in any combat situation, or can they decide to have +1 do the DV in one battle, increase the sensor score in another, etc.?

Second one, pick whichever score is best for the situation.

Fourth, I can't figure out where the 36 total points of damage for the Starfury ramming the Hyperion comes from in the example of collisions on page 73. The base damage is 60 points. Since the starfury is huge, the damage is multiplied by 3. Shouldn't the total be 180? Shouldn't the damage the Hyperion does to the Starfury be 60 X 8 = 480? What am I missing here?

The speed of the starfury was 4 so base damage was 4 which would be multiplied by size factor. Ill be back with specifics.

cerebrolator said:

The use of the word "permanent" to me at least implies that once chosen the bonus is fixed, not a "chosen per battle" type arrangement.

Ok, here it is.

speed =4
scale=5
size=3

damage= speed * scale * size
= 4 * 5 * 3
= 60

The maths in the book must be wrong.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help. I take it that I'm correct in saying that the starfury did 180 points of damage to the cruiser and the cruiser did 480 points of damage to the starfury.

I take it that I'm correct in saying that the starfury did 180 points of damage to the cruiser and the cruiser did 480 points of damage to the starfury.

No. As per my last post, the starfury does 60 damage. To do 180 damage it must be moving at 12.

The cruiser does 160 damage (movement 4 * scale 5 * size 8). To do 480 points of damage it must also have a movement of 12.

Back