Cinimatic Two Handed Shooting

-Daniel-

Mongoose
I just realized that with recoil gone, my old house rule for doing the cinematic two pistol type shooting is now void.

So I am curious, based on the Beta so far, how would you handle attacks with either two pistols or two blades?

No one has asked me to do so, but I figure it will only be a mater of time. :mrgreen:

-Daniel- said:
So I am curious, based on the Beta so far, how would you handle attacks with either two pistols or two blades?

Yes, this is an important question. And by extension, how do I two pistol shoot while sliding backwards over the bonnet of an air/raft!?

I would keep it simple and just use a bane die when both weapons are fired, plus any usually DMs for combat.

I agree. A band die would give you decreased probability of hitting but not change the damage you'd deal if you hit. Seems logical. Otherwise, I'd place a -DM on BOTH weapons (e.g., -1 for primary and -3 for off-hand).

Using two hand-held somethings at once:
Add your Athletics (Dexterity) skill to any Skill Check.

If not comfortable with that (and don't like using two skills in a roll) then -1 DM to each handed skill check with the usual +DEX mod.

Thanks guys. 8)

I am also going to keep the no aiming restriction as well. Just makes sense to me. :mrgreen:

ShawnDriscoll said:

If not comfortable with that (and don't like using two skills in a roll) then -1 DM to each handed skill check with the usual +DEX mod.

What do you mean by "Add your Athletics (Dexterity) skill to any Skill Check."?

A normal shot is gun combat skill + Dex mod =8+ to hit (assuming no other DMs for conditions, range, equipment, movement, target dodge, etc.)

How does "Add your Athletics (Dexterity) skill to any Skill Check." enter into the formula?

allanimal said:
ShawnDriscoll said:

A normal shot is gun combat skill + Dex mod =8+ to hit (assuming no other DMs for conditions, range, equipment, movement, target dodge, etc.)

How does "Add your Athletics (Dexterity) skill to any Skill Check." enter into the formula?
As I said, if you are comfortable with using two skills for your roll. If a character has no Athletics (Dexterity) skill, then -3 DM to a roll.

ShawnDriscoll said:
allanimal said:
ShawnDriscoll said:

As I said, if you are comfortable with using two skills for your roll. If a character has no Athletics (Dexterity) skill, then -3 DM to a roll.

Wait. So if I DO have athletics (Dex), then I get better at shooting when I use 2 guns?

allanimal said:
Wait. So if I DO have athletics (Dex), then I get better at shooting when I use 2 guns?
I could be wrong, but what I got from ShawnDriscoll 's post was you treat the second skill more like a requirement. So either you have Athletics (DEX) at some level and do not have the negative or you don't have some level of the skill and thus gain a negative DM.

Did I understand the intent of your idea right Shawn?

-Daniel- said:
allanimal said:
I could be wrong, but what I got from ShawnDriscoll 's post was you treat the second skill more like a requirement. So either you have Athletics (DEX) at some level and do not have the negative or you don't have some level of the skill and thus gain a negative DM.

Did I understand the intent of your idea right Shawn?
Yep. I'm using Athletics as a modifier rather than a skill of its own. It helps with cinematic-style gaming.

Or it can be seen this way, if a player wants to use something in each hand at once, they could have two skills added to their roll (one of them being the Athletic skill).

If players want to make up what their characters can physically do, I can at least make up what the mechanics are for that.

I agree with allanimal. If I have Athletics (Dex) skill, and get to "add" it "as a modifier" then I'm going to pretend I'm shooting with two weapons every time even if I don't have two weapons since it will add a DM to my shots.

That makes no sense.

Requiring some level of Athletics (Dex) skill in order to attempt firing two handed without a penalty makes some sense.

Stainless said:
I agree with allanimal. If I have Athletics (Dex) skill, and get to "add" it "as a modifier" then I'm going to pretend I'm shooting with two weapons every time even if I don't have two weapons since it will add a DM to my shots.

That makes no sense.

Requiring some level of Athletics (Dex) skill in order to attempt firing two handed without a penalty makes some sense.
Your post makes no sense.

Stainless said:

That makes no sense.

Yes, that is why I didn't have it in the mix, but if someone wanted to do as Shawn suggests then it should just be a requirement and not a bonus.

Going to put a (simple) two weapon rule in the Combat chapter...

Was going to go with the Bane idea, but we want to get Boons/Banes out of the rules and leave them in the referee's hands, so currently going with DM-2 for both attacks.

Oh, and allowing the pistol/blade combo, so you can pretend to be a 40k Sergeant :)

msprange said:

Was going to go with the Bane idea, but we want to get Boons/Banes out of the rules and leave them in the referee's hands, so currently going with DM-2 for both attacks.
In my opinion, I think it shouldn't be allowed to be combined with Aim either.

msprange said:
Oh, and allowing the pistol/blade combo, so you can pretend to be a 40k Sergeant :)
Or a Space Pirate. :mrgreen:

msprange said:

This is an excellent idea! And of course there will be boon dice if the sword/pistol-wielder is angry, bald and helmetless :)

I actually had this very thing pinned down as a future houserule for my games, glad to see it in the book! I might even extend the same mechanics to work with two attacks with a single weapon too (yes basically auto 2 with two bullets and -2 DM to both shots). This will most likely be limited to short range however (up to 10 m or something like that) but I assume the official rule stops at dual-wielding against single targets?

Back