Cimmerian Fashion Question

Red Tulwar

Mongoose
What is the name of the item of clothing that Conan is wearing on the front cover? It looks like a Scottish kilt. Or is this a form of long loin cloth? I saw no mention of it in the Equipment chapter. I like the style of dress, and I intend to use it in my games. Just wanted to know what the heck it was called. Thanks!

Since nothing like a kilt is listed in the equipment list, I would call it a more expensive form of a loin-cloth.
One of my players wants something along those lines so I doubled the cost of the regular loin-cloth and gave him the choice of determining the length.

Mythos said:
Since nothing like a kilt is listed in the equipment list, I would call it a more expensive form of a loin-cloth.
One of my players wants something along those lines so I doubled the cost of the regular loin-cloth and gave him the choice of determining the length.

Hmmm. I'm probably being too picky, but long loin cloth doesn't do it for me. :lol: For now (unless someone comes up with something better) I think I'll just call it a kilt, and price it at 1 sp.

The kilt the Cimmerian is wearing reminds me of nothing if not the kilts worn by the Assyrians in the murals commemorating the Battle of Kadesh; if memory serves, the kilt was a fairly common item of clothing in the ancient near East...

It seems that they have always been called Kilts. I did a search for Egyptian, Babylonian and anciant clothing and the Kilts worn by these cultures were always refered to as Kilts by the historians. No native name was given. So I'm calling them Kilts.

Back