Chasm of Doom - Unplayable

santherus said:
Noticed another minor problem (don't have the book/reference with me though): when travelling to Ruanon, and camping in the shadow of some ruins, you get the choice of attacking or attempting to capture alive the people (that turn out to be priests) living there.

If you capture them alive, you are directed to the correct section, but it contains text about searching their bodies... at which point you then apologise to them and move on!

I believe the mini adventure character sheet issues have already been found, so I won't re-detail them here.

Section 102... Its the same in the original, but I don't think its an error without being nit picky. Their bodies are searched for identification as to who they are - no different if you are going into prison... your body is searched, but you should still be alive after it.

Still problems in book 4??!? This is becoming really annoying! I think I will sell my 3 CE books now because I don't really think Mongoose will become serious with Lone Wolf reprints. Six months after book 1, there should not be these kinds of errors.

santherus said:
Hello there - first time on the forums.

Just received COD and am not happy - played a good chunk of the book, only to get stuck at section 129, which doesn't lead to the correct location.
:cry:

Section 241 on Proj Aon had the footnote: "[12] Section 309 assumes that your men are all missing or dead. This represents a serious flaw in the story flow since you are still accompanied by some of your men. You may choose to turn to Section 8 instead which is a geographically flawed correction, but does continue the story with your current company."

here's the pod-cast. It takes a little bit to open. Don't expect much, but what's said, says it all.

http://www.rabbitcave.com/2d6feet/podcasts/Episode%2027.mp3

Yeah, I just can't get why the quality control has been so poor. Some great ideas come out of Mongoose, but so many failures of execution. It's sad.

I keep getting yelled at by friends when I buy from M, and they've been right almost 100%. If the quality doesn't shape up soon, I'm gone.

santherus said:
Noticed another minor problem (don't have the book/reference with me though): when travelling to Ruanon, and camping in the shadow of some ruins, you get the choice of attacking or attempting to capture alive the people (that turn out to be priests) living there.

If you capture them alive, you are directed to the correct section, but it contains text about searching their bodies... at which point you then apologise to them and move on!

It has always been this way and is correct!

You search their living bodies presumably for items that will tell you who they are; you might have believed theya re ceners for instance. You do not search their corpses.

I'm really getting annoyed with all of these errors and checking the board I have to discover that there are even more errors with Lone Wolf 4 than I thought!

Can we have an official statement from Mongoose please?

I wouldnt say it was unplayable. CoK was "unplayable" due to the missing section, but then a quick check on Aon would easily get you the section you needed. Ok so book errors happen and mongoose where great at replacing the last book gratis. Do you really really care wether you have your men with you or not? By the time you get to Ruanon your on your own anyway! I for one am glad that the LW series is being republished, which I think is more important than the fate of 50 or so expendable Border Rangers....

I played through the book finally - I have to admit, if you take the boat route then the section errors make sense.

However, my playing enjoyment was somewhat tempered by the fact I knew the error was there, therefore making me deliberatly choose routes that made it correct. Sure this is perhaps a bit nit-picky, but having paid £11 for a £9.95 book (please Mongoose, if you are going to up the price, make sure the price on the book is changed too! Otherwise it looks like you are simply trying to wring more cash out of us), I would expect things to look good.

Just a quick question - has anyone noticed any errors in the bonus-adventures? Aside from the usual minor things (like capitalisation and bold font) they seem to be ok, but I guess only the authors and Mr Dever would know for sure.

Oh and I was also thinking, if the big error in Section 309 is a writing error, is this not a problem for the author, ie Mr Dever, than the publisher? Perhaps we should lay off Mongoose for text errors, but instead ask about things like missing pages for the Equipment and incorrect Action Charts for the bonus adventures. Just a thought.

WritingWolf said:
Oh and I was also thinking, if the big error in Section 309 is a writing error, is this not a problem for the author, ie Mr Dever, than the publisher? Perhaps we should lay off Mongoose for text errors, but instead ask about things like missing pages for the Equipment and incorrect Action Charts for the bonus adventures. Just a thought.

Yes and no... as with many things, once something has been designed / authored, it is normally good practice to get some people some testing / proof reading. The problem had already by highlighted by Project Aon and the text is different from the original, implying an effort to change it. If Mongoose said "Would anybody be willing to do some proof reading? We probably won't pay anything (except maybe free end of line miniatures?), although we will give something towards travelling expenses..." - I'm sure there would be a few volunteers.

Anyone spot the slight wording change in 350?

See what we're in danger of now is people intentionaly looking for errors in the text, rather than just enjoying the gamebooks as they are.

I'm happy people are intentionally looking for errors. With M's quality control issues, I can't buy until I see what the unofficical proof readers say, and see the fix. So, I'll get book 4 in about 2 or 3 months....

I wonder if these issues affect other Mongoose books? It seems they have had a lot of problem with covers in the past (and I must admit, the hard-cover on CoK is a little too large for the book) but I'm not sure if the sheer volume of errors that LW suffers is present elsewhere.

Maybe the LW fans are more picky - or because the books already exist we know what to look for.

I'm glad the books are back and all because they look great, I like the extra stories and in a lot of cases certain issues are solved, but the errors are grating a bit. I mean, can you imagine buying Book 20 going "Well it looks great, but the Action Chart is wrong, the Equipment page is missed off and one of sections doesn't make sense". I really hope not. If Book 5 isn't solved, then it would be a good chance to fix things starting with the Magnakai - I notice there is still no sign of them.

There's also a structural problem with D'Val's mini-adventure, where certain sections may loop depending on the random numbers you get.
The links go 89-114-45-89 or 89-53-45-89.
Section 45 should direct to 147 instead of 89.

Well my copy arrived yesterday. No equipment selection, 10 less starting gold crowns than usual and the minor character sheet issue for the secondary adventure.

They didn't bother me too much (since I've got an old copy of book 4). What irked me was the word change in section 328. The english lie has been replaced with the american lay. Lay is a verb. The bodies cannot lay on the ground. They lie on the ground. They can be layed on the ground (as in someone lays them) but they cannot lay since that is an action (although they could be layed out).

Either Mongoose has got some overzealous proofreaders or it's an evil microsoft windows word error. Have you noticed how even after you tell word that you're using english grammar as opposed to american english it still starts trying to "correct" your perfectly correct sentences into american english?

Well I'm not too keen on seeing british books getting printed in american just to sell to foreigners. I noticed another incorrect use of th word lay in book 1 as well but since it was in one of the new sections I let it go. Now I'm not very happy about it 'though :(.

This sounds so disappointing. :(

Whats even more disappointing is that I'm a Mega-deal customer, and not only have I not even received TCoD yet, I haven't received my corrected copy of CoK yet either. :(

Between this and all the changed release dates I'm starting to regret forking over that large sum of money. :?

Things wrong with COD:

1. Missing equipment - But this isn't really a problem if you're playing through the books, because you can sort of assume a meal and some laumspur are available.
2. Missing "here is some gold". - But not a big deal - I've just repulsed the bandits at the watchtower and haven't spent any. If you've done book 3 - you don't spend any there either, so at this point your loaded anyway.
3. Section 129 / 309 etc: - but not a show stopper. Just the wording in a particular section doesn't really fit. This was a known error, but you the exit sections are right / will do.
4. The "Bodies" issue - but I think this was resolved because bodies can be searched without killing anyone.
5. The D'Val looping error - I haven't got this far yet, but the indication from the post is that it only occurs if you keep picking the same random numbers.
6. D'Val's Character Sheet - I never write in the book, so its not a big deal.
7. Lie / lay / layed / laid - but it doesn't really change anything.

Given the above, I wouldn't say there are any showstoppers (unlike the missing KOC section), unless you happen to be starting from book 4, in which case you begin without a weapon. This becomes a bit of an issue because of the negative modifier, and other than D'Val's sword, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to acquire something as simple as a sharp pointy stick (bed pan anyone?).

Minor irritations, but not show stoppers?

Balgin Stondraeg said:
Well my copy arrived yesterday. No equipment selection, 10 less starting gold crowns than usual and the minor character sheet issue for the secondary adventure.

They didn't bother me too much (since I've got an old copy of book 4). What irked me was the word change in section 328. The english lie has been replaced with the american lay. Lay is a verb. The bodies cannot lay on the ground. They lie on the ground. They can be layed on the ground (as in someone lays them) but they cannot lay since that is an action (although they could be layed out).

Either Mongoose has got some overzealous proofreaders or it's an evil microsoft windows word error. Have you noticed how even after you tell word that you're using english grammar as opposed to american english it still starts trying to "correct" your perfectly correct sentences into american english?

Well I'm not too keen on seeing british books getting printed in american just to sell to foreigners. I noticed another incorrect use of th word lay in book 1 as well but since it was in one of the new sections I let it go. Now I'm not very happy about it 'though :(.

This is strange. As a former (American) writer for MGP I know that they strenuously require British orthography and NOT American. Most stuff I caught beforehand, but sometimes even Homer sleeps. :wink:

Oh well, did anyone else notice how the picture of baron Oren Vanalund in section 350 looks remarkably like King Ulnar? On a more humourous note: in illustration XV11 (section 289) the soldier on the left has two swords. One is in his hand and yet a sword hilt protrudes from his scabbard as well. Maybe someone dropped theirs and he's handing it back to them. There's all sorts of disorganised chaos on the battlefield :).

I haven't found it unplayable yet (although the missing equipment section at the beginning would've made it hard if I hadn't played the first three books first).

Balgin Stondraeg said:
On a more humourous note: in illustration XV11 (section 289) the soldier on the left has two swords. One is in his hand and yet a sword hilt protrudes from his scabbard as well. Maybe someone dropped theirs and he's handing it back to them. There's all sorts of disorganised chaos on the battlefield :).

Maybe its a short sword? Very useful in a shield wall or other confined space.

Back