Charging Issues

I never got into that because it's quite a bit of text to go through. There's enough in MRQ2 already for me to wrestle with.

Hope it works for you

Only just spotted this had it's own thread... copied from "movement issues":

This is an interesting one. I would offer up:
Re: p84, "..following are activities a char can attempt by spending 1 CA during their turn.."
a) I take the "during their turn" as "on their SR"
b) as written it doesn't say on p84 that charging consumes all other CAs during the round [note it is explicit that picking up and readying a dropped weapon takes 2 CAs. Observation: allowing charge to necessarily consume all CAs for a round sets up daft situations: Charles has 5 CAs and uses all of them to charge 9m and try to hit foe. Donald has 1 CA uses it to charge 39m and try to hit his foe. Also, if target stands firm, then charger needs a CA to be allowed to parry. Far too harsh to automatically disallow this.]

Re: p90, "Unless the charging creature..stops..the charge only allows a single CA during that round..speed of the charging creature carries it clear.."
c) This is explicit that being carried clear [neither choosing to stop nor being stopped] means the charger gets a single potential hit and nothing else that round, and the receiver can stand firm or evade on that CA. Says nothing about receiver losing all his other CAs.
d) So IF charger chooses to stop, then he may get remainder of CAs for the round, as may the receiver.

e) Picking up on p84 "..activities a char can attempt.." allows a presumption that he may fail. Now, as written, charging says make an athletics roll, since errata-ed to combat style. How about the following as a draft solution:
1) Charge has to be in a straight line
2) Charger may attempt a charge at up to 5x his remaining movement for the round [so if can move 8m (ignoring amour/enc for simplicity), 1st CA moved 2m to sidestep round a tree, then can charge 5x(8-2)=30m on 2nd CA
3) Charger has a choice of how fast he wants to charge, but if above x1, then has to make an (additional, non-opposed) athletics test using an extrapolation of the modifiers on p31, modifying the rate by a difficulty of easy [+40%], so athletics test x2 speed = test @ +20, x3 @0, x4 @ -20, x5 @ -40. If successful, the charger has reached the target and may now try to hit (or to be hit) depending on weapon length.
4) Using the above allows distance for charge past to be calculated (speed x remaining CAs, up to the x5 (remaining) limit. In passing, I'd stipulate the charger can stop when desired, and, if a CA remains, can urn round, but that's it.
5) It also allows a stopped charge to continue with any remaining CAs for attack/parry etc.

This could do with some polishing, like effects of fumbles/crits on the athletics test, but I think it's worth mulling over. {But it's late now and I'm tired}

Feedback please?

Thx

Back