Character Classes - NOOOOOOO!!!

Amazon said:
An essential addition to the new and growing RuneQuest range, this book brings the unique creatures and monsters of the classic roleplaying game to life. From Ducks and Broo to Dragonewts and Trollkin, RuneQuest Monsters provides detailed descriptions and games rules for Games Masters to use in their own scenarios. Extra rules are included that will allow players to use any monster race within as the basis of their own characters, finally permitting them to play a Duck Assassin, Elven Ranger or Broo Raider.
Maybe I'm just getting heebeejeebies about what's going to happen to an old favourite in it's new incarnation, but I didn't like the use of capitals in that last sentence.....................

I do not think you have to worry about character classes. The capitals is probably just to note an archetype of Glorantha.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
Amazon said:
An essential addition to the new and growing RuneQuest range, this book brings the unique creatures and monsters of the classic roleplaying game to life. From Ducks and Broo to Dragonewts and Trollkin, RuneQuest Monsters provides detailed descriptions and games rules for Games Masters to use in their own scenarios. Extra rules are included that will allow players to use any monster race within as the basis of their own characters, finally permitting them to play a Duck Assassin, Elven Ranger or Broo Raider.
Maybe I'm just getting heebeejeebies about what's going to happen to an old favourite in it's new incarnation, but I didn't like the use of capitals in that last sentence.....................

Hopefully they are just occupations.

But they do sound very D&Dish.

Oi! Mongoose. People are comming here to GET AWAY from that system

I do not really see what the problem is. Duck Assassin, all that says that you play a duck that is an assassin. It is a quick and easy way to describe an archetype, a character concept.

Does the text come from Mongoose or is it an AMzon copy writer. We all know how good Amazon are at ensuring the accuracy and portrayal of their products.

LBH

I really don't think anyone needs worry about character classes in MRQ. That said, some of the text in the previews has been rather redolent of clunky old D&Dish stereotypes, but I think this is just a prodict of the fact that the core rules both have to give a sufficient taste of Glorantha to give them a context, but also sufficiently generic that they springboard neatly into Arthur, Lankhmar and whatever other official settings Mongoose create, as well as a prospective buyer and gamer's own notions as to what setting they want to adapt the rules to. I confess I wince at such cliches as the Elven Ranger, but at least it gives an immediate sense of the kind of opportunities available.

All the best

Mark

It would be nice if they wrapped some generic classes around the fuller system. It was possible to use RQ character generation as it stood to replicate just about any character class that the D&D supplement treadmill could care to invent, so it's an attractive option for beginners. Just as long as the full flexible system is still there, of course.

It would be nice if they wrapped some generic classes around the fuller system. It was possible to use RQ character generation as it stood to replicate just about any character class that the D&D supplement treadmill could care to invent, so it's an attractive option for beginners. Just as long as the full flexible system is still there, of course.

Isn't that essentially what we had in the RQ3 "previous experience" example listings? A provided list of skills, abilities and such that a typical character growing up in a certain environment might have?

Actually, that's what I first thought about when I saw the original quote.

Back