changes to BRP system?

Enpeze

Mongoose
I just browsed through the previews. It seems that there are some big changes to the standard BRP system.

example:
-combat actions: up to 4 combat actions? The default beginner character on the character sheet has 2 combat actions. Whats this? In BRP one has just one attack (or maybe 2 if your skill is 100+) That seems like WFRP to me.

Do anybody know something about this combat action thing?

second example:
-no general hitpoints, just location HP?

third example
-character improvement: I still miss the skill checkboxes on the character sheet

So far, the previews are ok. (we will see what the final game will look lilke)

It seems that there are some big changes to the standard BRP system.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that MRQ is not based on the BRP system.

The BRP system is still the Intellectual Property (IP) of Chaosium; Mongoose got the rights to the name "RuneQuest" and also brokered a deal with Stafford to create Gloranthan material set in the Second Age, but Mongoose does not have the rights to the BRP system (indeed, rumors abound that Chaosium will be releasing a new version of their BRP sometime later this year).

Initially, i was rather disappointed when I started seeing the previews and saw so many changes from the BRP system I had come to know and love. Then, when I found out that it was because Chaosium still owns the rights to that set of game mechanics, things became a little clearer.

Since they presumably can't legally present a version of the BRP system, Mongoose had to come up with a system that was as close as they felt they could get to the 'feel' of previous editions of RQ but without stepping on Chaosium's toes. Once I realized that was what prompted the "changes" seen in the previews, everything else just sort of fell into place, and I'm actually starting to look forward to seeing how the game works as it's own entity now.

We shall see...

Enpeze said:
I just browsed through the previews. It seems that there are some big changes to the standard BRP system.

First of all, it is not the standard BRP system, but something similar. Chaosium owns the BRP system, and Mongoose got the license to RQ, so they could not use the BRP system straight of the bat, even if they wanted to.

Enpeze said:
example:
-combat actions: up to 4 combat actions? The default beginner character on the character sheet has 2 combat actions. Whats this? In BRP one has just one attack (or maybe 2 if your skill is 100+) That seems like WFRP to me.

Just about as much as you do, from reading the preview. I have however seen similar modifications in BRP derivates in the past. Basically, every thing you do on your part cost you an action, every thing you do to react to another person cost you a reaction.
It allows a character to do more things in a round than the BRP system. It might be a good thing if you want a more heroic game, and a bad thing if you do not. Obviously Mongoose does.

Enpeze said:
second example:
-no general hitpoints, just location HP?

You are correct. And I have personally complained enough to irritate several persons on this forum about this subject, so I will not repeat it once again. Read the Preview and Character sheet threads for my input on the subject.

Enpeze said:
third example
-character improvement: I still miss the skill checkboxes on the character sheet

So far, the previews are ok. (we will see what the final game will look lilke)

I strongly suspect that they have dropped the improvement roll (though I do not know for sure) and replaced it with a system where you gain Hero points to increase skills etc. with.
Also a thing I have seen in many BRP derivatives in the past.

That said, it is close enough to BRP to take bits and incorporate them. I think it may wind up bolstering games like Stormbringer and CoC. For instance, I am already using the ap/hp system for the weapons. It encourages players to use shields.

Of course, I plan to try it as is when I finally get my hands on it. From what I can see it may be the very first rpg for me that I can just pick up and play without modifiying the system (I have been looking for such lately, getting tired of being a game system monkey).

Archer said:
Enpeze said:
example:

Just about as much as you do, from reading the preview. I have however seen similar modifications in BRP derivates in the past. Basically, every thing you do on your part cost you an action, every thing you do to react to another person cost you a reaction.
It allows a character to do more things in a round than the BRP system. It might be a good thing if you want a more heroic game, and a bad thing if you do not. Obviously Mongoose does.
It depends on what those 2 actions are, really. Combat is supposed to be very mobile and active, from what I've heard, so it seems unlikely that 2 actions will equate to 2 attacks.

The combact actions thing really ins't much differenet that in previous editions of RQ. Two actions = 1 attack & 1 parry.

THe higher number of actions appears to match up with the old skills over 100% rules (split skill into multiple attacks).

Didn't the preview say up to four combat actions and as many reactions? And the reactions include defensive actions? We just don't know what are defined as one or the other. Yet. :?

"There are four types of Reaction – dodge, parry, dive for
cover and free attacks." <- From the preview.

It sounds like there will some predefined actions you can take, such as attack, etc. And that it simply cost you one action to perform one of these predefined actions.

If so, it is a system I am going to throw out the window and instead use this; Everything you do is an Action, and everything you do in reaction to anothers actions, is a Reaction.
Then the player can do precisely what he wants, without being tied down to a set of predifined actions to choose from.
He or she is then free to say "I kick sand in his face, take jump up the wall, push off and kick him in his face.".

I am very tired, a bit drunk, so I am not sure that I am making a lot of sense when I am writing this. But I hope you understand what I mean.

In a Combat Round, a character may perform one or more Combat Actions depending upon how many the character has. The example character has two. The character may perfrom these actions as determined by their Strike Rank. (Preview 2, page 3)
A character may make as many Reactions in a Combat Round as he has Combat Actions. Unlike Combat Actions, Reactions are not made during a character's Strike Rank, but in response to the Combat Actions of enemies. There are only 4 types of Reaction: Dodge, Parry, dive for cover and free attacks. (Preview 2, page 4)
This is how I see it:
A Combat Action will only be limited by the character's imagination, i.e. "I kick sand in his face, take a jump up the wall, push off and kick him in his face." (Although, I would probably call that 2 or 3 Combat Actions, but I might let you combine them with some % penalties.)
Combat Actions will be limited in time to your Strike Rank.
Reactions will be limited to one of the four types of actions, i.e. "7 Ducks are firing crossbows at me! I'll dive behind this cart."
Reactions will not be limited in time, but may only occur in reaction to other things.

Seanwalsh: I hope that is the way it works.
And you are right, I would have said that is 2 or 3 actions.

seanwalsh said:
In a Combat Round, a character may perform one or more Combat Actions depending upon how many the character has. The example character has two. The character may perfrom these actions as determined by their Strike Rank. (Preview 2, page 3)
A character may make as many Reactions in a Combat Round as he has Combat Actions. Unlike Combat Actions, Reactions are not made during a character's Strike Rank, but in response to the Combat Actions of enemies. There are only 4 types of Reaction: Dodge, Parry, dive for cover and free attacks. (Preview 2, page 4)
This is how I see it:
A Combat Action will only be limited by the character's imagination, i.e. "I kick sand in his face, take a jump up the wall, push off and kick him in his face." (Although, I would probably call that 2 or 3 Combat Actions, but I might let you combine them with some % penalties.)
Combat Actions will be limited in time to your Strike Rank.
Reactions will be limited to one of the four types of actions, i.e. "7 Ducks are firing crossbows at me! I'll dive behind this cart."
Reactions will not be limited in time, but may only occur in reaction to other things.

That's pretty close to how things work. You get X number of Combat Actions to perform various things (attack, move, aim, cast spells, etc), and then an equal number of Reations (dodge, parry, dive for cover and free attacks).

In addtion, you don't split Combat Actions and Reactions up. You get your full complement of both.

So, the sample character could:

CA #1: Move
CA #2: Cast Spell

He also has 2 Reactions that he can use before he moves, after, before he casts his spell, or after.

Hope that helps,

Hyrum.
OWC

HyrumOWC: That part was very clear.
What I was wondering is if the Actions are predefined just as the Reactions are, sort of; Attack, Move, Cast Spell, etc. Because if that is the case, I know the whole action thing is a bad idea, since the players generally will quickly fall into a rythm of describing what their characters does by telling which predefined actions they take, instead of describing what their character does.

That is why I said it is better to just say; Anything you do is an action, and anything you do to react to another person is a reaction. You have X Combat actions, which means you also have X reactions to use in a round.

By not defining what these Actions and Reactions are, you tend to get a much smoother play, in which player actually describe what their character does, instead of checking the "approved action list" to tell what his character will be doing.

Before D20 came along and had to describe every bit of a combat into a type of action, and setting the whole RPG industry "Action" crazy (every new RPG must now have an action system that defines certain predetermined actions as a specific type of action), I never saw this problem. Players just described what their characters did. There was no predetermined actions to take away their feeling of having the freedom to do anything in a combat round.

While they spell out various actions, you're still free to do what you want. I don't think there's anything a player could say their character does that isn't covered.

Hyrum.

Hyrum owc,
thanks for your info. Does this mean that a person with 3 combat actions is able to attack three times in one combat round?

Or does it mean that he can attack once and has to reserve his 2 remaining combat actions for other special actions like throwing sand or whatever?

Enpeze said:
Hyrum owc,
thanks for your info. Does this mean that a person with 3 combat actions is able to attack three times in one combat round?

Or does it mean that he can attack once and has to reserve his 2 remaining combat actions for other special actions like throwing sand or whatever?

While you could attack three times you should save actions for other things like moving.

Hyrum.

SO an action isd anything that a character initiates, and a reaction is anything a character does in repsonse to someone elses action?

SteveMND said:
...and also brokered a deal with Stafford to create Gloranthan material set in the Second Age
Any source on this? And if so, what exactly he's working on.

Greg is notoriously slow...

Back