Casting Sorcery spells

nightshifter

Mongoose
I'm trying to get sorcery straight in my head .

Is the maximum manipulation caped by the manipulation, i.e. a skill
of 50 means a maximum 5 manipulation per spell?If so will this magnitude
effected by this cap?

.Yes the number of manipulation points is directly related to your Manipulation skill. For every 10% you get 1 manipulation point.

Magnitude is a little different than the other magic systems. How effective or how powerful the spell is is directly related to your Sorcery Grimoire skill, the higher the skill the more effective your spell.

However a sorcerer can spend Manipulatuion points to increase the Magnitude of his spells. It does not increase its effectiveness, but it increases its Level of Magnitude for the purpose of trying to overcome other spells, like Counter Magic Shield.

nightshifter said:
I'm trying to get sorcery straight in my head .

Is the maximum manipulation caped by the manipulation, i.e. a skill
of 50 means a maximum 5 manipulation per spell?If so will this magnitude
effected by this cap?
For Sorcery, the only thing that Magnitude gives you is resistance to dispelling and the oomph to punch through defensive magic. It does nothing for the actual effect of the spell, which is fixed at a level determined by the Grimoire skill. I call this "potency", so a spell cast with a Grimoire skill of, say 65% has a potency of 7 regardless of any other manipulations (range, targets, duration, magnitide, etc.) that the caster puts in.

Mr Hibbs hits nail on head - if there is ever a revised edition of RQII, it should rename "magnitude" in the sorcery rules and reserve that terms for the "potency" of effect as per other magic types. It's dashed confusing, and leads to an awful lot of "I don't get it" thread traffic. Upsets the whole nomenclature just to be consistent on calculating effects vs magical defenses etc.

Back