Card Game: What does Failure mean?

shnar

Mongoose
We couldn't figure out if a mission Failure meant that the TB didn't "succeed" or that the mission wasn't completed by the Team Leader and something else ended the mission (such as the last card of a TB was played).

I think it's if the mission ends in any other means than the Team Leader choosing to end once the mission requirements are completed, but the rules are vague on this...

-shnar

Failure means you didn't Succeed.

:D

OK... If a card has a clearly stated Mission Failure, that's the failure condition.

If the Mission only has a stated Success, then ending the mission before achieving Success would be a failure (e.g. a Troubleshooter expends his entire hand before the Team achieves the conditions of the Mission Success).

You'll always have a Team Leader around, as he'll get replaced if killed - so you couldn't fail in a mission purely because the Team Leader couldn't complete it... A Team Leader would only fail to complete a mission due to the team already having failed it.

Um...

I may have confused myself.

Paul

If you complete the mission requirements, the mission isn't over until the start of the Team Leader's turn and the Team Leader decides to finish the mission. Basically, it's up to the Team Leader to decide to pack it up and head back for debriefing. Sometimes the Team Leader does not have to end the mission, and when we played, he/she did not (usually because they hadn't yet satisfied the Success requirements, though once it was cause they wanted to kill another TB).

So, you didn't really answer my question: What exactly does Failure mean? I think it means that if the mission ends in any other way besides the requirements met plus Team Leader deciding to pack things up and head back to debriefing. Just looking for confirmation, since the rules don't really say anything about when a Failure happens.

This does bring up an interesting question: if the Mission requirements have been completed, but the Team Leader hasn't had a chance to end the mission (for example, 3 wounds are given to the mission, but the TB that gave the last wound was his last card), is the mission successful?

-shnar

shnar said:
This does bring up an interesting question: if the Mission requirements have been completed, but the Team Leader hasn't had a chance to end the mission (for example, 3 wounds are given to the mission, but the TB that gave the last wound was his last card), is the mission successful?
Yes - in that instance the Mission would be considered a success. The Troubleshooter met the conditions for Success prior to playing his last card, which ends the Mission.

Paul

The Team Leader can only only end a mission if it is "Successful" at the start of his turn. He may not end a mission early in a "Failure" state. He does not have to end it. This is optional.

Example:

Motivate Volunteers to Test New Improved Bouncy Bubble Beverage
Mission: Assign 3 Wound tokens and 3 Treason tokens to this Mission.

If the Mission has 3 or more Wound tokens and 3 or more Treason tokens on it at the start of the Team Leaders turn he may choose to end the mission because it is a Success.

If he does not end the mission the card play phase continues until someone runs out of cards (or some other criteria is met) and then the mission ends. A mission that ends this way can be either a "Success" or a "Failure" depending on the objectives of the mission.

In this case, the mission would be a failure if it does not have the required number of Wound and Treason tokens on it at the end of the beginning of the Debriefing phase.

If you have questions about specific missions, (what is a Failure and what is a Success) just post them and I'll do my best to answer.

Back