Can you steal ships?

Thisdan

Banded Mongoose
Apologies if this has been discussed already - I couldn't find a thread.

Last session my PCs boarded a ship that was run by a smuggler. They killed him and left the rest of the crew alive. Now they want to take over the ship.
What are the rules about it?
Is there a transponder that is connected with a registered owner for every ship? (This was a smuggler)
Do you need certain access codes?

Given the immense price for ships I wonder how to handle it if the group now starts boarding ships of pirates, smugglers or others without much backing.
Thanks for your feedback!

I would think you need to be a registered bounty hunter.

Or some form of official warrant, like a letter of marque.

There is stuff in the Traveller Companion on the topic. Generally, ships have expert systems running them with some kind of security program. So they'd need to hack the computer to get control of a ship that isn't notably low tech. Then they'd have to forge registration and ownership papers to use at any ports that pretend to care about the law. Oh, and then you have to consider that the stolen ship probably has a mortgage or outside owners or some other source of financing, so they'll probably wonder why they aren't getting paid by the MV Stolen By Ne'erdowells like they are expecting.

Even if the ships belong to criminals, those criminals either stole the ship themselves or are part of a pirate gang that bought the ship...

It the smugglers, pirates or whomever stole the ship themselves the original owners could show up to claim.

It occurs to me that if the ship and crew were far from home, it might just be easier to steal their identities and leave the ship alone... hard for an Aslan to fake being a Hiver, but within species, I suspect getting a fake identity is much cheaper than a fake transponder.

Thanks for the feedback! How do you handle transponders etc.? Does every starport have a registry of all ships in the sector? Still trying to get a handle on how easy it is to take over ships.

Have you read the section "Skipping on Debts" in Spacecraft Operations in the Core Rulebook?
See page 144 of the 2016 CRB or page 153 of the CRB 2022 Update.

Does every starport have a registry of all ships in the sector?

I would guess so. A smaller the port on a low law level world might not care enough to impound the ship themselves, but it could still flag you for bounty hunters and last known location.

Still trying to get a handle on how easy it is to take over ships.

Good question, and I'm following the thread myself for GMs who've thought about it more than I have.

This isn't what you're asking for, but a tool for things like "I hack their ship and take it over at a distance," "I roll Medic to cure the alien plague," or "I'll just change the transponder, how hard can it be" is only roll once, and use that to establish whether its even possible, not just whether they succeed on their first try. And of course communicate that to the players: "this a one time roll for the group, make sure of your plan before you proceed." Using hacking a ship as an example, if the roll fails I'd establish that the ship's computer is air-gapped from their comms, not just that they'd failed but could try again.

This way I don't have to agonize too much over setting odds, or calling for multiple different skill rolls before I allow success, or worry about the whole group taking turns to roll, hoping for that Nat 20 WOO! boxcars. Just one and done, and its easier to give them rolls to accomplish something big without establishing a game breaking precedent.

It occurs to me that if the ship and crew were far from home, it might just be easier to steal their identities and leave the ship alone...

Geir, that's genius.

Its in a class of ideas I would never, ever suggest to my players, that would be playing the game for them, but I absolutely would roll with if someone thought of it, even if it broke my story or was too big a win. They'd deserve it.

Last session my PCs boarded a ship that was run by a smuggler. They killed him and left the rest of the crew alive. Now they want to take over the ship.

Its just now sinking in for me, this part is darkly hilarious. Is there any more to this story, did he screw with them first, was he smuggling cold berthed slaves or suitcase nukes, or did they really just whack a dude for not paying tax?

I'm not saying I mind either way. There's a Conan story that starts with a look inside the head of a white slaver, he's got a target picked out and is just waiting for the right time. Then Conan kills him in a bar brawl, so its got a happy ending. But Conan doesn't know, that's just how a shades of grey, gritty pulp setting works out. I would totally make this smuggler a real piece of work, even if retroactively. But I'm still curious.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been discussed already - I couldn't find a thread.

What are the rules about it?
Is there a transponder that is connected with a registered owner for every ship? (This was a smuggler)
Do you need certain access codes?

Given the immense price for ships I wonder how to handle it if the group now starts boarding ships of pirates, smugglers or others without much backing.
Thanks for your feedback!
To the OP
Yes, but it isn't easy.
To begin with, you're dealing with TL 12+ computer security. This makes it difficult to access necessary ship systems, everything from getting into the bridge to powering up the drives. IMTU access authority requires two-layer security [an ID card and biometric] and the biometric access has 'proof of life' protocols [capillary movement in the retinas, a pulse on the thumbprint, etc.]
This makes it hard to a] get aboard the ship to begin with and b] gain access to any kind of control function. Passenger terminals in the staterooms and lounges are a closed computer subsystem that cannot access vital ship functions.
Next, every ship has anti-hijack software. This can be activated from Engineering, the Bridge, and the Captain's stateroom console. Countermeasures include everything from sequestering passengers to their staterooms and lounge, to introducing tranquilizing agents into the atmosphere, to turning the gravity off. Some ship captains will go so far as to lock the power plant down to minimal levels [L/S systems only] and vent the fuel into space, thereby dooming everyone aboard unless the hijack attempt immediately ceases.
IMTU, the 3-I forbids automated lethal anti-hijack measures like toxic gasses or hazardous biologicals. Some ships have turrets mounted in the bridge and engineering spaces for automated defense. These are usually laser weapons.

All this doesn't mean that it's impossible to steal a ship.
Some hijackers use sophisticated tactics in order to subvert countermeasures. For example, compromising a crewman or starport ground crewman to introduce a hostile program into the ship's computer system.
Some pirates are able to 'false flag' themselves, pretending to be an Imperial Navy or local planetary customs boarding.
Some ship-takers plant a bomb somewhere and blackmail the crew.
All of these have drills and countermeasures to deal with them, but almost no crew is fully proficient with all of them and fewer take every precaution every time, human nature being what it is. The smart hijacker studies his target, identifies a weak spot, and exploits it in order to gain access to fully-functional a ship as possible.

And since each ship is worth millions or tens of millions of credits, even grabbing a Type S scout is worthwhile.

Back