Campaign Guide now on PDF

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
And the good times keep coming for Traveller fans. Not only is 2300AD just round the corner, but the Campaign Guide is now available on PDF;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/products_new.php

And meanwhile(compared to vechile handbook) this is precicely the kind of book I PREFER to have as hard cover as this is the kind of book I can see myself using mid-session ;)

(looks at his pretty hardcover campaign guide)

Though of course good news for those who prefer this in pdf :)

Is this of any use to the solitaire Traveller player? I'm thinking it is, but someone who already has it may give me a better idea. The contents list is a little sparse.

Mithras said:
Is this of any use to the solitaire Traveller player? I'm thinking it is, but someone who already has it may give me a better idea. The contents list is a little sparse.

I'm not sure how many want to admit that they actually do this :) but yes, I'm finding it to be comprehensive and useful for that style of play. While the events do not drill down to a concrete interesting decision similar to the career events & mishaps, they are all poignant enough to aid the imagination.

Need some help with a misprint...

On p74 it says "The random trait tables on page 76 of the Traveller Core Rulebook and on page 76 of this book are a good way to quickly generate an amusing but shallow patron".

I've taken a look at CG p76 and it doesn't seem relevant.

Ideas?

How dare you! :) My gaming group of two split up last summer (sad story, that) and so I decided I'm not going to be an armchair Trav grognard. I'm going to play, dammit! I've tried several approaches over the years, starting decades ago with the advice in CT Book 0 on how to learn to run Traveller. I'm currently looking at a new way of playing solitaire Traveller.

mattman said:
Mithras said:

I'm not sure how many want to admit that they actually do this :)

By all means share your methods - we are looking at doing a Solo Traveller book sometime this year...

msprange said:
By all means share your methods - we are looking at doing a Solo Traveller book sometime this year...

Really? That's very good news. I think there will be a lot of take-up on that...

Uhh... the editing on this is pretty terrible, and many of the events don't fit into the OTU at all. I think this is probably most useful for solo play; I think if I dropped half of these things on a group of actual players, they'd be like to string me up. More complete review here.

Having picked it up yesterday, I agree, it will be great for running a solitaire game with plenty of tables, encounters and procedures. BTW: Is not marked as a Third Imperium product, so there is alot in the book useful in a 3i setting, but some things that are not and just as useful for a non-canon setting. And that's fine by me.

Yes the editing is poor. 3 mistakes jumped out at me on 'page 1'

jedavis said:
Uhh... the editing on this is pretty terrible, and many of the events don't fit into the OTU at all. I think this is probably most useful for solo play; I think if I dropped half of these things on a group of actual players, they'd be like to string me up. More complete review here.

Thanks a lot Jedavis for your review. You saved me some money.

I had two thoughts:

1. I would cherrypick for use with Traveller 3rd Imperium
2. This is ideal for Ashen Stars!

All i have to say about some of the proof reading issues with some MGP products is, well at least their not a certain American company who's collector editions of their RPG had all the same mistake as the original books, and those cost $200 each. They have never corrected these mistakes on any game they have released, all are riddled with errata problems, editing mistakes and poor proof reading, and their products cost at least twice of any mongoose product.
In comparison, Mongoose products are virtually perfect.

And my opinion of your review is it was very poor. You told me virtually nothing about the content of the book, and seem to misunderstand that the product was not OTU.

Just my IMHO.

(and yes, i LIKE mongoose products, so if you don't like them, why the hell are you complainers, with the same complaint time and time again, still buying their products?)

Rant by customer happy with mongoose, despite some of the past problems.

(In case it is not clear, i am referring to the the review by jedavis a few posts up)

Old timer said:
All i have to say about some of the proof reading issues with some MGP products is, well at least their not a certain American company who's collector editions of their RPG had all the same mistake as the original books, and those cost $200 each. They have never corrected these mistakes on any game they have released, all are riddled with errata problems, editing mistakes and poor proof reading, and their products cost at least twice of any mongoose product.
In comparison, Mongoose products are virtually perfect.

And my opinion of your review is it was very poor. You told me virtually nothing about the content of the book, and seem to misunderstand that the product was not OTU.

Just my IMHO.

(and yes, i LIKE mongoose products, so if you don't like them, why the hell are you complainers, with the same complaint time and time again, still buying their products?)

Rant by customer happy with mongoose, despite some of the past problems.

I quite agree; the review definitely wasn't my best work. A bit rushed, and less informative of content than it could have been... but it's hard to speak about the content in broad strokes, because it is, for the most part, entries on random tables. As for OTU, as I said, I'm not an OTU fanatic; not-OTU is not a deal-killer. Off-the-wall crazy things that I would never be able to use in any hardish-science game, on the other hand, kind of are, especially in bulk. A random table is only as usable as its least usable element, because when you go to roll on it in play, Murphy's Law suggests that that's the one you'll roll. It's not a question of "Is this in keeping with OTU canon?" for me, but more one of "Is this well-thought-out, well-written, and well-integrated with the existing rules, and can this work in a reasonably internally-consistent setting?" And I did not see much of that here.

As for "we complainers", I'm not sure to whom you're referring, being fairly new to the forum :p. I really like the Mongoose Core, and thought the career books that I've read have been pretty decent on the whole. Hence my outrage and disappointment when, rather than the useful resource I hoped I had purchased, I found something which was not only non-useful, but quite painful to read due to the editing issues. This should not have been published, in the state which it currently is.

I'm also quite curious about which company you're referring to... I am unable, off the top of my head, to think of such a company. WotC might qualify, except for the poor editing and proofreading... I don't think I've ever encountered a Wizards product with anything approaching the number of spelling errors in the Campaign Guide (though to be fair, I have no idea how the editing on their 4e products after Core is...). A lot of Alderac's stuff might fit, too, but I didn't know they sold collector's editions... hmmm...

I appreciate the review as someone's honest attempt to give a fair picture of the product as seen through their viewpoint and experiance. I already have the CG on order and (hopefully) on its way.

I do know that, when Mongoose Nick had me do editing/playtesting work on Scoundrel (not sure if the credit was ever fixed) I went through the book text with a fine tooth comb. Spelling Checker, Grammar Checker, printed it all out and read it checker. I sent him a fair number off things. (My copy of scoundrel is in the order with the CG).

But, except when it's my job to tear through a book, I'm more interested in what I can get oout of it and so my critical eye sometimes gets a little lazy.

Weird entries part I can agree with though for me more options is always better than fewer and I can simply ignore what I don't like.

Typo's ranting I found amusing. Never been bothered by typo's all that much. I run into typo and I pretty much automatically read the correct word. It only bothers me if the word actually is totally unreadable but with the way English is written that's pretty hard(you can raed Egsnilh pterty well even if oderr of ltetres is smrmcbeld priveodd fsrit and last ltertes are in crroect plcaes. Funny aspect of this Language. Doesn't work so well in some languages like Finnish and I think Japanese was another one it doesn't work at all).

Biggest issue for typo's for me is when they alter rules notably. In miniature games wrong point costs etc. I guess in RPG's equivalent would be DM table's being all wonky with logically negatives thing having positive modifiers etc.

Old timer said:
and yes, i LIKE mongoose products, so if you don't like them, why the hell are you complainers, with the same complaint time and time again, still buying their products?

Let's say I have a favorite diner, where I eat lunch every day. Mostly the food is great, but every so often I get a dish that's just not good. Bringing that fact to the owner's attention does not make me "a complainer", and continuing to buy their food makes me a loyal customer.

The very best "Complaint" reviews, you can always tell that they come from a place of hurt, more than of anger. They want the product to be better, because they love the product line, and the outrage comes from the failure to live up to expectations.

I've felt that way a time or three about Mongoose products, but they're still so much better than most everything else out there that I find myself defending them anyway.

Regardless, as soon as I'm done reviewing Vikings of Legend, I'll get hold of my copy of Campaign Guide and can give it a thorough going-over as well!

Back