Book of Thoth

René

Banded Mongoose
On the Darkhorse page it reads:

"In the dank alleys of a decaying city, a beggar child conjures visions of a future where, instead of spitting on him in the streets, the rich and privileged cower in fear of his terrible authority. Through cunning, murderous means, he ingratiates himself into a benevolent priesthood, only to turn the church and the nation itself over to the terrible snake-god, Set!"

Since surely some of you guys have already read the single issues, maybe you can help me: does this series describe, how Thoth-Amon turns Stygia from Ibis-worship to Set?

Thanks for your help!

It sure does René! Takes Thoth (or Amon?:shock: ) from beggar to high priest and doesn't pull any punches. I really liked the mini-series, but not everyone liked the art but I've been a Kelly Jones fan since I first read one of his horror comics back in the day. The trade is coming out soon and I think it will be well worth the money.

I also agree. Great story, very interesting and gives some depth to the character. I wasn't a huge fan of the art, but it does fit the story. Overall, it is definately worth getting.

The art was a far cry from the Buscema style which is my favorite, but that is, after all, a matter of personal preference.

The story was quite good, although the transition from Ibis- to Set-worship was not wholly convincing. Also, the ending was somewhat of an anti-climax. But it does add detail and depth to Thoth-Amon and Stygia, as other posters have pointed out.

- thulsa

Without having read the series (else I wouldn't ask...), it seems a heavy thing to give Thoth all the credit for the worship of Set in Stygia.

I always had the impression, that Set was the dominant religion in Stygia for thousands of years before Thoth was born at all - can't point to quotations impromptu, but I'm fairly sure, that this is according to REH.

So I have some reserves...

same here as thought the timeless serphant was just that timeless so will give these a miss and save my pennies for vincents stuff 8)

René said:
Without having read the series (else I wouldn't ask...), it seems a heavy thing to give Thoth all the credit for the worship of Set in Stygia.

I always had the impression, that Set was the dominant religion in Stygia for thousands of years before Thoth was born at all - can't point to quotations impromptu, but I'm fairly sure, that this is according to REH.

So I have some reserves...

I disliked the series for that very reason.

The story in the Book of Thoth takes place centuries before Conan - Thoth is that old and powerful. The way Gods rise and fall in favor throughout the Hyborian Age piece written by Howard seems to validate the story, especially the fact that men in power seem to decide what God the people should worship - and really that is all that happens in this story. I mean the Black Circle rules Stygia and makes sure Set is the one worshiped. Nothing lasts forever though and powers shift and with them which God is favored, which is what the Hyborian Age defines.

Strom said:
The story in the Book of Thoth takes place centuries before Conan - Thoth is that old and powerful.

Explain then how Karanthes, Priest of Ibis and rival of Thoth-Amon is still around and kicking? He is in this story as a novice and son of the high priest of Ibis.

It's believable that Thoth would use the dark magics needed to prolong his life - not so a priest of a relatively good god, whom Thoth-Amon tried to assassinate in The God In The Bowl, even if he was prolonging his life to combat a hated enemy who corrupted his homeland.

Ignoring that quibble about Toth's influence, the story is an exciting one. But while I don't consider myself a total Howard purist, even I was scratching my head at the idea of a non-Set dominated Stygia...

The fact that Karanthes Priest of Ibis is still around in Conan's time is never explained in the story - except for his undying desire to destroy Thoth Amon and exact revenge- and he is given plenty of motivation for vengeance, wouldn't you say? :lol:

Strom said:
The fact that Karanthes Priest of Ibis is still around in Conan's time is never explained in the story - except for his undying desire to destroy Thoth Amon and exact revenge- and he is given plenty of motivation for vengeance, wouldn't you say? :lol:

Too true. But even if you buy the idea of beneficial gods existing in the Conan world (which I know a lot of purists don't), I find it unlikely that Ibis would prolong his life or look the other way on him using the always unpleasant means of prolonging his own life.

I think either Toth is a child of destiny like Conan capable of massive social upheval... or there's something screwy with the timeline here...

This smells a little L. Sprague de Camp-ish to me (taking an established character and making him far more important than originally intended).

Well, the story exists because he is so established. Re-read the God in the Bowl and realize the unfettered horror and fear just the name of Thoth Amon causes the acolyte helper -can't remember his name. Surely that type of fear is not caused by some peon - Howard created that power and the fear it evoked. Thoth commanded and dominated the God in the Bowl - no small feat even by RPG rules. Howard made Thoth Amon powerful. All this story does is create a back-story for how Thoth rose to such power.

Trodax said:
This smells a little L. Sprague de Camp-ish to me (taking an established character and making him far more important than originally intended).

More like Perry actually. I do not think de Camp would have gone that far just to establish a story (BTW, I am a de Camp fan so may be a bit biased)

HLD

Strom said:
Well, the story exists because he is so established. Re-read the God in the Bowl and realize the unfettered horror and fear just the name of Thoth Amon causes the acolyte helper -can't remember his name. Surely that type of fear is not caused by some peon - Howard created that power and the fear it evoked. Thoth commanded and dominated the God in the Bowl - no small feat even by RPG rules. Howard made Thoth Amon powerful. All this story does is create a back-story for how Thoth rose to such power.
Sure, Toth Amon seems to be the one of the most powerful Stygian sorcerers during Conan's time. Thats cool and all.

But what Howard wrote of Stygia always gave me a vision of a truly ancient, Set-worshipping culture. Having Toth being responsible for establishing Set as the highest god just seems like they really wanted to use him because he already was a well-known character.

Sort of like what was done in the new (well not so new anymore) Star Wars movies:
"OK, we need to have this clone army... Remember Boba Fett, he was a cool character... Hey, what if Boba Fett was the origin of the clone army?! That would rock!!!" :roll:

In one of the Marchers of Valhalla's drafts, Thoth-Amon is mentioned by Ishtar as a Pre-Cataclysmic sorcerer. Why couldn't Thoth be a priest of the Great Serpent - maybe a Thulsa Doom's suceeding - of the Khari people? He could had been the spiritual leader of the Khari flight from the Lemurian rebel slaves, thousands of years after the Great Cataclysm, and in the following millenia became the greatest sorcerer of the Stygia - founded thousands of years after Lemurian's rebelion and Khari's flight.

So, I'm not sad with the fact of the Book of Thot didn't come here. If the only trouble were the white skin and brown hairs of Thoth, I'd solve this with brown and black pens. But...

The impression I got from the comics is that The Book of Thoth takes place hundreds or even thousands of years before Conan's time. So Thoth and Kalanthas are just two very powerful scorcerers with the Immortality scourcery style. I know the Dark Horse comics and Conan RPG aren't directly connected, but it's as good an explanation as any.

If you read up on Ibis in Faith and Fervor, he ain't all squeeky clean.
I don't remember all the details, but as one of the higher Mysteries, priests get access to Immortality.

MP

Back