Book Binding Problems

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I"m very excited about this game and I like Mongoose products in general. The errors in editing not withstanding, I'm very disappointed in the book binding. I noticed this morning that the book I've owned for less than 2 weeks is now torn about an inch down the outer edge. (look at the OGL logo...the right side edge of this has a straight tear much like if you folded a paper and tore it along the crease.)

Yes, I've cut my back page for son's of cimmerial 2nd edition but darnit I wanted this copy to last as a general use book. Also, if the same binding method is used for 2nd edition, I'm worried about the new book coming my way eventually.

Is anyone else finding this? I haven't abused the book and have used it as much as any other d20 book, none of which are showing this immediate degradation.

Disappointed,

Arkobla Conn

Mine looks good, so far. It's been passed around the gaming table quite a bit, as well. I have to admit when I first bought it, however, I had some concerns about the binding, so I will keep an eye on it.

I haven't had any problems with the book yet, but I did notice that when compared to all my other D20 hardcover books, it looks and feels very fragile.

SS

Ditto - no problems yet, but I tend to be very gentle with my books. Still, the binding doesn't seem to be the stongest I've seen so I'll keep an eye on it too.

The binding on mine is splitting down the last page prior to the inside back cover. I put some clear tape on it to hold it for the time being.

No real problems here, but I have no complaints with a slightly mobile spine on my heavily-used books. The pages are holding together just fine, and if the endpapers separate from the cover I'll just bung the lot into a springplate binder.

My book has yet to manifest The Splits, but it makes horrible crackling noises in the spine when I open it so it must be only a matter of time.

SoC, take me away!

zero skill LPB said:
My book has yet to manifest The Splits, but it makes horrible crackling noises in the spine when I open it so it must be only a matter of time.

SoC, take me away!

I have two copies, one has the same problem you mention, the other seems okay so far, but has seen less use.

I've had problems with the early books from mongoose (Quint Fighter, Seas of Blood, EA: Demonology) but no problems with any tears in Conan. It hasnt received much abuse yet though.
I did notice that there are a few points where the spine has been broken causeing that annoying effect where pages will turn themselves when you lay the book flat. :?

ACK!!! If it isn't the errors in book, someone (note someone, not everyone) has to complain about the book binding. I'm awaiting on the one who complains about how the paper isn't published on recycled paper. Or they wood binding is made from maple, and not oak. I don't understand!

Odovacar's Ghost said:
ACK!!! If it isn't the errors in book, someone (note someone, not everyone) has to complain about the book binding. I'm awaiting on the one who complains about how the paper isn't published on recycled paper. Or they wood binding is made from maple, and not oak. I don't understand!

For $50 (or $30 at some online discounters) we expect a certain level of quality. The content is fantastic, but the execution of the editing and binding are poor indeed. This is the most expensive RPG book I've ever bought. It shouldn't be so badly edited or start falling apart within a few days or weeks. Granted, I can handwrite in rules changes, but I can't stop the book from falling apart! Mongoose is hardly the only publisher to put out hardcovers with shoddy (or haphazard) binding, but combined with the editing and high price tag, it really rubs a lot of buyers the wrong way. Many of us expected to keep the 1st printing Conan books around, but that doesn't work out so well if the binding self-destructs... :?

Odovacar's Ghost said:
I'm awaiting on the one who complains about how the paper isn't published on recycled paper.

IT ISN'T PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER!!!! :shock:

Now I'm pissed!!! :evil:

This is the internet pal it was MADE for morons like ourselves to whine and bitch about pointless stuff like this.

SUCK IT UP!

/wolf

So, the internet is full of morons. Okay, this I can agree with.

I'd rather spend my $50 on a book that keeps then on other things that won't. Okay, perhaps someone's binding was bad. But, will the pages go bad? I'm sure my binding will go bad, from all the cursing I will be getting with this post!!! :)

At least this moron doesn't moan about a mere $50. Yes, to some $50 can be quite a bit. But, what else could you spend that $50 on? Does it last? Food? Oh yes, food will not last anywhere. Unless it is military food, ugh....(This is from experience...)

Ugh, why do I bother.

Personally, IMHO (though, I'm sure my Opionion on topics don't go very far in this forum), I like ICE's version of books. No hardcover at all. Why does it need to be hard cover? Why can't it be soft cover? Oh, it doesn't last as long? ICE used hole punched books. So who cares about a books binding, at least you can spend a whopping $3 and get a book binder. I don't mind spending more on a book.

How many dice do you own? All you really nead is one set of dice. Do you really nead miniatures? No! Use a die you don't use at all! Pizza? Ugh! You can't bare to spend $50 on a book, but, you can spend on pizza? Ha!

or not. :)

Oh, and what am I supposed to suck up?

I could spend $50 easily on sushi. But, this Conan RPG book, would last a lot longer. So, what is there to complain? I love both sushi and Conan rpg. Though, if only I could spend $100 on both! Wow, a menu that served both!

$50 on pizza, sharing amongts my friends yes.

Oh, and yes I could easily eat 10+ slices of pizza (not at once, but one at a time). You wouldn't notice it, but for my beer gut. :)

I most heartily agree with Iron Chiefs position that we spent a good $ for a product that hasn't lasted 2 weeks. Sure...I'll be able to use it and I will, but it's now a downward spiral of delicate use vs reconstruction surgery. I'm the type of person who really takes care of his books...to the point tha tI could read a new paperback and be able to show it to anyone and they would swear it had never been opened. Since I bought the book, I should have that option.

I most definately disagree with the differeing humble opinion .... if you don't mind your books disentegrating...do you want to trade?

Look - I love the game...I really like the company...I love the content...and I'm enjoying this forum...but I thought it would be best to inform Mongoose of the issue so they COULD make a change if possible. I don't see it as whining at all. (Informing...)

Arkobla Conn

The binding of my copy creaks like it's about to give at any moment, but has yet to break. I've scuffed the corners, but that's my own fault. I love the book, and would hate for it to break, but so far so good. :)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Mine feels weak, and has a crackling sound when opened, but so far it hasn't disintegrated yet like my Midnight book or the infamous Shadowrun book.

Johannixx said:
Mine feels weak, and has a crackling sound when opened, but so far it hasn't disintegrated yet like my Midnight book or the infamous Shadowrun book.

You should see my GW Stormbringer hardcover :shock:

Worst binding evar !!!

I agree, for $50 I'd expect the book to be a little more solid and not
fall apart after a few weeks of hard use (unless hard use equates to
whacking thugs with it :) ). Or months of significant use. It should endure
years of mild use before falling apart.

Back