Big announcement today?

BenQ

Banded Mongoose
Mongoose just published this on Twitter:

Big announcement about RuneQuest coming this lunchtime - watch out in the RQ part of our forums, and Planet Mongoose too...

Any guesses?

Joint press release from Mongoose Publishing and Issaries, Inc.

“Today we have agreed to dissolve the business relationship between our companies. While such partings are regretful, we recognize the need to play to our strengths and specialties in today’s market.”

Says Matthew Sprange, Managing Director of Mongoose:

“RuneQuest has been an adventure in publishing fantasy, but we can only seek so much treasure at once. It is clear to us that Traveller, miniatures and our future board and card games are our strong suits. We’ll now channel more resources in these directions.”

Says Greg Stafford, President of Issaries:

“I’ve enjoyed the creative efforts of Mongoose, and I will miss the entertainment and expansion that it’s given us. Thank you Matt. ”

Now go read our News page...

Not the best of news, perhaps.

From the News article.

We have recently announced that Mongoose and Issaries have mutually decided to part ways which, on the face of things, means no more RuneQuest and Glorantha (at least, from us). However, Mongoose retains ownership of the (frankly, absolutely cracking) core rules system which we intend to keep as our central fantasy roleplaying game mechanics.

We will therefore be republishing the current RuneQuest II core rules as the Wayfarer rules system (as Traveller covers science fiction, Wayfarer seemed the logical choice for fantasy!). We will be using the same ‘half-size’ format currently in use for the Lone Wolf Multiplayer Gamebooks, ensuring the rules system carries on.

The new Wayfarer rulebook will be 100% compatible with the current RuneQuest II range, albeit with some RuneQuest and Gloranthan-specific items removed/changed. In short, if you have any RuneQuest II books right now, they will be 100% compatible with Wayfarer. If you pick up Wayfarer, it will be 100% compatible with any RuneQuest II books available now. They are, after all, the same game system!

The Wayfarer rulebook will be appearing in the winter this year, and the current RuneQuest II range will remain available until this time – so if you want to grab the last of the ‘larger’ (and leather bound) format books, you can do so and be assured they will remain compatible with any new material.

There will be no more Glorantha books from Mongoose when Wayfarer appears, so if you want some Second Age goodness, get them before they disappear for good!

We will be moving Deus Vult, Wraith Recon, Eternal Champion and the forthcoming Age of Treason to Wayfarer, along with many books in the core RuneQuest II line, such as Vikings.

Beginning to sound like WOTC all over again. I am home brewing it from now on...Just when I was getting excited about MRQII and had invested in it.

I am not putting another penny in to a new, revised, made over system. I am sticking with Cortex, CT, RQ 1st ed., Stormbringer 1st Ed. I have yet to see a single company finish what they start, I am so sick of unfinished product lines.

Loz if you are out there still a loyal fan.

V

PhilHibbs said:
This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.

Quite the opposite - the rules system will stay _exactly_ the same, but can now run forward for, well, forever.

I really don't know what is going on between you and Stafford... but if you are serious about building onthe Wayfarer/MRQII system finish what you start. If you do you can have my money and product loyalty.

Pendraig said:
but if you are serious about building onthe Wyfarer/MRQII system finish what you start. If you do you can have my money and product loyalty.

That is certainly our aim - but what do you mean by finishing what we start?

I'm not surprised. Mongoose makes business decisions. Once the Glorantha books didn't sell enough, they were dropped immediately.

I'm done buying new Mongoose lines. After Starship Troopers and this, I don't trust them to finish things. I hope they don't decide to redo Traveller next.

msprange said:
Pendraig said:
but if you are serious about building onthe Wyfarer/MRQII system finish what you start. If you do you can have my money and product loyalty.

That is certainly our aim - but what do you mean by finishing what we start?

No more Races of Glorantha books, no more Glorantha books, etc. There are a TON of things still not covored for RQII, and never will be. Crazy as it sounds, when people jump into a game line strongly aligned with a setting, they expect the setting to get enough books to cover everything.

Hm, not sure what to think about this.
I, at least, really like the format of the books as they are and am sad to see them appear in another one.

Also, I have to say, following how Mongoose operates for some time really makes you think, if you should even recommend to your FLGS to carry them, because obviously, it's only a matter of months until the line gets dropped/redone and sold for cheap, so the old books will probably stay on shelves forever...

I don't think Wayfarer has the same ring to it that RuneQuest does, though. Also, what about the Wayfarers RPG? At least, this will cause some confusion. Would this be not a problem in establishing a new brand?

danbuter said:
I'm not surprised. Mongoose makes business decisions. Once the Glorantha books didn't sell enough, they were dropped immediately.

Well, here is the question, and you really cannot get round it.

What should we have done instead? Carry on publishing books that were losing money on each new title?

I don't believe any other company in its right mind would have made a different decision. We have ensured the game itself continues, with the only casualty being 2nd Age Glorantha - and while we sympathise, we also know that the number of people who will care about that can be counted on a depressingly small number of hands. On the other hand, there are enough fans of the RQII core rules that will allow the system to have a decent future.

This doesn't seem that doom and gloom guys, yes Glorantha is leaving Mongoose but the rule system stays and that in many ways is the most important thing.

The core setting books for Glorantha are out so the new stuff which Matt says is fully compatible can be used to carry those games forward.

And Elric and the other games seem set to continue so it should all be ok, with only a few months of disruption till the winter.

This is slightly upsetting but I think we have all seen worse happen to game lines that we love in the past, like the death of Stornbringer, or Bab5 ACTA or oWOD and Stargate.

So I think it will all be ok in the end and as long as the the stuff is fully compatible with the RuneQuestII stuff then nobody has wasted any money.

msprange said:
PhilHibbs said:
This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.

Quite the opposite - the rules system will stay _exactly_ the same, but can now run forward for, well, forever.

I mean the Glorantha line, which is why I'm here.

Back