Big announcement today?

Odhanan said:
So Matt, it seems to me like your announcement basically answers the question, but I just want to make it clear: this does not jeopardize the Elric of Melniboné game whatsoever at this point, does it?
The licence won't be anything to do with Greg or Issaries Inc., I expect the continuation of the Elric line will be entirely dependent on that line's own performance.

I'm unsure whether I like this or not.

Since I wasn't much into Glorantha, I can't say I get upset by losing it. Although I was planning start up a campaign in it, I probably wont and will probably make my own Iron Age homebrew setting.
But Glorantha did one thing really well, provided a realistic niche for the monsters. From the descriptions you get in the books, when you kill a troll in a gloranthan adventurer, you kill the father of his troll children and the husband of his troll wife. So nothing is inherently evil. Which gives a fluid and realistic world.
So I hope they get this in the occasional monsters manual, that monsters that are just adversaries seem silly.

I have only one question, why Wayfarer? I know you said it was like traveller.
Is there some fascination with new roleplaying games and names for a guy who likes to travel? Like pathfinder? Not that I can think of a better name, though.

PhilHibbs said:
This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.

Me too! I have bought almost every product + 10 products from MRQ1 :(
I feel really upset, cause I really loved the stuff you guys did! :(

/K :(

Khamulcalle said:
PhilHibbs said:
This sucks. I've invested £250 and a lot of time and effort into a dead end.

Me too! I have bought almost every product + 10 products from MRQ1 :(
I feel really upset, cause I really loved the stuff you guys did! :(

/K :(

+ 1 :cry:

It's a relief to know that the game system will live on in another format. Gloranthaphiles may curse me - but I look forward to a version of the rules that is decoupled from that setting. It's strong enough to stand on its own, IMO.

Deleriad said:
On the other hand I'm pleasantly surprised to see the rules system continue. I'm all for a smaller, generic rulebook. Hopefully Pete Nash will be overseeing it and helping develop it.
I'm afraid not. See my other post. I've left Mongoose, so the rules have been left under the custody of Matt and the office team.

Pete you need to write the Age of Arthur BRP/MRQII- whatever we call it supplement.

Rome and the Vikings were surperb work.

Odhanan said:
So Matt, it seems to me like your announcement basically answers the question, but I just want to make it clear: this does not jeopardize the Elric of Melniboné game whatsoever at this point, does it?

We have no plans to jeopardise Elric :)

msprange said:
Stainless said:
Please, please, use this opportunity to tickle the system a bit more and make sure the editing/proofing maintains the standard the core rule book showed.

We will be doing _nothing_ to the core rules other than include errata. The transition will be all about proofing and layout, and nothing about rules fiddling. It _will_ be 100% compatible with the books around right now because, well, it will be the same rules!

hmm thats a shame there was def areas to look at and explain some of the concepts and issues that WILL arise - guess you will keep getting the same questions and confusion to any new players......

Charge and movement rules, Combat Styles for instance.......

also means I don't have to buy it if nothing new then.....

at least will the layout of the creature stats be improved so as not to waste so much space?

What was the reasoning behind altering the printing format of RQ2 for Wayfarer? Will Wayfarer supplements follow the same formatting?

I'm not that familiar with the Lone Wolf rpg, and it took some digging on Amazon to determine that its "half-size" is roughly 8" x 8". Rather unusual.

K Peterson said:
What was the reasoning behind altering the printing format of RQ2 for Wayfarer? Will Wayfarer supplements follow the same formatting?

I'm not that familiar with the Lone Wolf rpg, and it took some digging on Amazon to determine that its "half-size" is roughly 8" x 8". Rather unusual.

8.5 x 5.5.

It is simply to make it more affordable (looking to retail at £9.99). A class-leading system at that price - who can resist? :) And yes, the supplements will follow the same format.

Matt,
Just to make sure I understand correctly, Mongoose will be continuing to support Deus Vult, correct?

And if more DV material is published, it should fit fairly seamlessly in with an existing Deus Vult campaign, correct?

If that's "yes" and "yes", are there any views/plans that you're able to share on what and when will be coming out for DV?

I understand about business decisions - you have to remain profitable to be able to continue publishing.

Thanks very much.

That is roughly $16 to us yankees I think. If so, that is good news.

msprange said:
K Peterson said:

8.5 x 5.5.

It is simply to make it more affordable (looking to retail at £9.99). A class-leading system at that price - who can resist? :) And yes, the supplements will follow the same format.

Morgan d'Barganfore said:
Matt,
Just to make sure I understand correctly, Mongoose will be continuing to support Deus Vult, correct?

And if more DV material is published, it should fit fairly seamlessly in with an existing Deus Vult campaign, correct?

If that's "yes" and "yes", are there any views/plans that you're able to share on what and when will be coming out for DV?

I understand about business decisions - you have to remain profitable to be able to continue publishing.

Thanks very much.

Yes and yes. Deus Vult is very much a setting we want to push forward with, and we are also looking at doing things with it beyond RPGs (the current novel is a hint of one direction).

Because of this, we want to do it 'right.' There are some areas we _really_ want to explore, such as the role of the Inquisition and the Witch Hunters which, although part of the Church, are opposed to the Order. We have the Holy Lands to explore. Relics. And that is before we get to all the politicking within Europe...

However, all that needs deep planning. The first new books for DV you are likely to see will be 'beasties' and 'cool kit' type books - which, I think, is exactly what players are wanting first, so that works out well :)

Wayfarer gets off the ground at the end of this year, so I think it will likely be 2012 before something solid comes out for the settings. We'll give you the full scoop in the State of the Mongoose this year.

Well cant say im surprised though I did hope they would at least stretch to Races Vol 2 and the EWF book.

I love the system so will probably keep an eye on the new books though I really dislike the idea of the new format which may stop me purchasing. Im thinking it will be like savage worlds explorer edition which I hated due to the size.

Though looks like majority of my money will now be going to moon design publishing and will just have to convert the 3rd age stuff over

Matt,
Thanks v much for the "yes" + "yes"; truly appreciated. I'll pass the message round our group (about 12 of us) that despite the re-badging, it shouldn't impact our campaigns too much.
Will look out for the State of Mongoose...
As a thought, maybe you could put some "interim" stuff in Signs and Portents.. like "tasters".. could also be a vehicle to reassure folks that don't necessarily scour these forums... then they could try the "advanced samples" in their current campaign and see that Wayfarer will integrate seamlessly.
Do you have enough contributors by the way?

Is there any possiblity of Loz producing Tenets of the Inner Dragon under the Moon Design umbrella? Or any other Second Age material for that matter? :(

Yooouuuuffff...

What will happen to Monster Coliseum/ Monster Island?

MC has Gloranthan monsters in it, so I presume they will be excised when the book is reissued. Will Monster Island be integrated into the new volume or is that project dead?

Ultor said:
MC has Gloranthan monsters in it, so I presume they will be excised when the book is reissued. Will Monster Island be integrated into the new volume or is that project dead?
RuneQuest has always had "Gloranthan" monsters in every non-specific setting, e.g. QuestWorld, Fantasy Europe, etc. in the same way that D&D has always had "Greyhawk" monsters (although many of them probably pre-date Greyhawk, it's a good enough term for Utyughs, Rust Monsters, and Stirges). Since Monster Coliseum is a generic supplement, I'd be surprised if Greg pulled the plug on something that players and scenario writers might have started using as a generic resource.

Back