Beamless Centauri - Take Two

Also the Hyperion's laser, the VCD's neutron lasers (fore and aft), the Warlock, the Avioki (the one time we see it fire) and every Drazi ship.

First, I don't think any argument for bore sighted beams really holds water. Even for the White Star. What is worse is that the white star was given an arced beam to 'represent its performance as seen on screen' and yet the Omegas and G'Quans are bore sighted despite on screen performance (not to mention Mongooses own box art) showing differently.

I don't understand how firing at a ship infront of you is total justification for 'bore sight'. Its like saying Baskin-Robbins only carries vannilla ice cream because you saw someone eating a cup of vannila outside a Baskin-Robbins.

That said, from a *gameplay* stand point, I fully understand and LIKE bore sighted Omegas and G'Quans (and feel the white star should join them). Its a part of flavor, and once that flavor is fixed (the whole interact of bore sight and initiative), and should be kept.

Now, to pull this thread back onto the rail it was riding, in regards beams and Centauri, I must say I don't really have a problem with Centauri having beams. Only with a twist. I, personally, like seeing the centauri with beams as their secondaries. For the most part, everyone else has their long range batteries as beams, with pulse and plasma weapons as secondary. To drop the Centauri's beams down to secondaries, pump up their pulse and ion cannons.

l33tpenguin said:
To drop the Centauri's beams down to secondaries, pump up their pulse and ion cannons.

If they were to be secondaries, IMHO they would need to either be low AD (1 or 2) or they should be mini-beams. Of course, their primaries would then need a commensurate boost.

My big concern really is interceptors - the Centauri aren't stupid and they would *know* that their main opposition in the future is likely to be an emerging power like Earthforce, so I'm sure they would have a lot of AD to overload interceptors. So, I'm in favour of more AD, more AP, more TL, but less DD - i.e. instead of 10AD DD, I'd rather see perhaps 15 AD, AP, TL, so that they are more likely to overload interceptors and get the hits in.

Regards,

Dave

Well, if you drop Centauri beams to just 2 or 3 AD Precise and range 8-15, I think you could accomplish making the beams the secondaries.

For the Magnus, for example:

Battle Laser 8 F 2 Beam, Precise
Ion Cannon 15 F 12 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 A 6 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 P 6 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 S 6 TL, AP

Or the Dargan:

Battle Laser 8 F 3 Beam, Precise
Matter Cannon 18 F 8 AP, DD
Ion Cannon 15 P 10 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 S 10 TL, AP

Liati:

Advanced Battle Laser 12 F 3 B, DD, P
Plasma Accelerator 18 F 10 Accurate, SAP
Ion Cannon 15 T 10 TL, AP

What do you think?

I think the Centauri lose almost all their killing power under those conditions. Taking DD off the ion cannons guts them. Upping the range to 15" in no way compensates.

Taran said:
Well, if you drop Centauri beams to just 2 or 3 AD Precise and range 8-15, I think you could accomplish making the beams the secondaries.

For the Magnus, for example:

Battle Laser 8 F 2 Beam, Precise
Ion Cannon 15 A 6 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 P 6 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 S 6 TL, AP

Or the Dargan:

Battle Laser 8 F 3 Beam, Precise
Matter Cannon 18 F 8 AP, DD
Ion Cannon 15 P 10 TL, AP
Ion Cannon 15 S 10 TL, AP

Liati:

Advanced Battle Laser 12 F 3 B, DD, P
Plasma Accelerator 18 F 10 Accurate, SAP
Ion Cannon 15 T 10 TL, AP

What do you think?
\

The one issue I have is the beams are so poor one wonders why the centauri would even mount them instead of more ion cannons.

Tzarevitch

P.S. Should've said two issues. :)

I would also not reduce the ion cannon from DD.

I don't like them but then I am happy with the present list by and large :D

Making higher AD but Minbeams is interesting

As mentioned, to fit with the proposed aim of the thread, I would either go with the klist as is or remove all the beams save the Drakh inspired / ordered Adira / Liati. Job done

Meh, it was inspired by a couple ideas suggested by others. Guess the combo doesn't really work. (though as an ISA player, I'd really rather get rid of the DD)

Back