Beamless Centauri - Take Two

Most of you know my (rather strong) opinions on the Centauri fleet and their weapons fit. I fully intend to write up a set of "house rule" stats for the Centauri Royal Navy, sans the battle lasers we never see on screen.

However, a few ships in the fleet either need a beam weapon or since they were devised by AoG have no purpose without one, so I propose to retain the plasma stream as a short-ranged but powerful beam on a few ships classes. Namely the Morgrath frigate, the Octurion battleship and probably the Liati cruiser. The Adira can keep the Drakh nuetron beam, since it's alien tech used without Emperor Mollari's knowledge.

Does anyone have any reccomendations or suggestions on how to proceed with this? I intend to remove the beams from the Primus altogether and replace it, Nova-style, with a single weapon system, heavy ion cannons, in every arc. I'll hand out plasma accelerators like party favours in place of matter cannons on new designs and just generally tidy things up.

If anyone has anything to add, suggest, propose or interject, please do so now.

Look forward to it :)

Given the stated intention of the Liati to hunt White Stars and it being created at the same time as the Adira - I would be tempted to merely rename the Advanced Battle Laser to be a Neutron Laser. I would think it is equally likely to be created using Drakh technology?

The Morgrath -OK - the Octurion - I thnk you can make a formidable warship without beams should you so wish?

If you are creating a new list - be pleased to see one or two new War level ships ?

Good Luck :D

Have a 18 Point Armageddon Centauri force myself, love the Lion of the Galaxy.... :D
Was looking at the improved Vorchan variant seen in the Lost Tales episodes..... A lot of suggestions have points towards Advanced Battle Lasers for it, but I feel 'Bigger & Better' Plasma Streams would be more in character, heavier Twin Arrays (with Improved range) and maybe some fighters, also considered GEG.

Keep the speed and turns, its a pack hunter after all, and give Adv Jump Engine.
Just a thought... :twisted:

re the cool new Vorchan - Katadder did one (with many other ships) in the Earth Centauri war supplement and I did one too :)

both downloadable from your friendly resources thread :)

but put yours up two - be interested to see your take on it.

Lets hope that the new deal with minis means the ships from the LT make it to metal 8)

I went with a GEG and heavy plasma accelerator.
the ship will be toned down when I get round to doing a Major Races supplement to normal plasma acc, and only 2/45 rather than 2/90.

Hey Boss

Yeah.... Got the download.... :twisted:

You made me buy Tyranid fleet bits :lol:

As for Katadder's 2/45, totally agree with that, being a larger hull.

Fighters would be Rutarians as well..... :idea:

By the by,
about to play a campaign, any suggestion for a budding young noble...?

Gone with -

Adira
Liati x 3
Balvarin x 2
Demos x 4

Playing against Vorlon, Shadow, EA, Psi Corps, ISA... So far!

Have'nt received the parts yet....... :(

Will do when I get them though, as an aside I am getting the Event Horizon for my explorer - it really suits the part..... :D

Do you remember which part of the tyranid ships the invader is from?

Atreyeux said:
By the by,
about to play a campaign, any suggestion for a budding young noble...?

Gone with -

Adira
Liati x 3
Balvarin x 2
Demos x 4

Playing against Vorlon, Shadow, EA, Psi Corps, ISA... So far!

lol yeah lose the adira for some smaller ships if playing by rules in mongoose book. need alot of skirmish/raid ships for campaigns as not all battles are large PL.

id prob go

Adira
Primus,
Primus
Liati
Balvarin x2
Demos x4
Elutarian, Maximus, Kutai, Haven x2

any buy some more smaller ships in 1st two rnds as often little conflict then

you only appear to have 9pts in the fleet you list?

Yep, can't count........ :lol:

Any reason for the Primus over Liati? (Obvious staying power - But I'm Centauri, I don't have the stomach for a prolonged fight... :lol: )

Would it be too much to ask for this to be discussed on another thread?

I'm interested in the beamless Centauri discussion, but this thread has been rather hijacked by talk of campaign fleet composition, which frankly interests me less!

I know that threads here rarely stay on topic, but the beamless Centauri discussion had barely been started! :roll:

Regards,

Dave

Lord David the Denied said:
Most of you know my (rather strong) opinions on the Centauri fleet and their weapons fit. I fully intend to write up a set of "house rule" stats for the Centauri Royal Navy, sans the battle lasers we never see on screen.

However, a few ships in the fleet either need a beam weapon or since they were devised by AoG have no purpose without one, so I propose to retain the plasma stream as a short-ranged but powerful beam on a few ships classes. Namely the Morgrath frigate, the Octurion battleship and probably the Liati cruiser. The Adira can keep the Drakh nuetron beam, since it's alien tech used without Emperor Mollari's knowledge.

Does anyone have any reccomendations or suggestions on how to proceed with this? I intend to remove the beams from the Primus altogether and replace it, Nova-style, with a single weapon system, heavy ion cannons, in every arc. I'll hand out plasma accelerators like party favours in place of matter cannons on new designs and just generally tidy things up.

If anyone has anything to add, suggest, propose or interject, please do so now.

I used to be a huge advocate for beamless Centauri, especially since we never saw the primus fire one in all of the TV series. But from what I've read they obviously must have beams in their fleet as the Narn reverse engineered the heavy laser from the Centauri's battle laser. Also if the Centauri have battle lasers its very likely they would at least attempt a Primus variant with these battle lasers. ACTA arcs are someone limited, but I would say that the battle lasers would have some port and starboard capable in addition to front arcs.

Using the same arguement about beamless Centauri since we never seen them in the show would be the same as arguing that Brakiri should have no weapons since we never once saw them fire...Whether or not you consider AoG's B5wars canon or not, it was endorsed and set a lot of thing for the babylon 5 universe. Personally I'm fine with having both a beam armed and beamless Primus. They both have completely different roles.

But that is just my opinion.

But if you're looking for a beamless Primus I'd consider a "line breaker" concept for a beamless Primus. It has a hull of 6, with multiple arced heavy arrays it should do nicely.

Why not throw in advanced jump engines, the thought of that beast jumping accuartely into the middle of my fleet terrifies me...... :shock:

I personally would try to avoid AJP on ships without "Eldar race tech" -ie without help from the Shadows, Vorlons, Minbari or Drakh (or someone else............Hyach?)

presently the Centauri beam ships are: (I would amend as follows - only my HO)

Adira - keep - Drakh tech
Corvan - change to Ion Cannons (although the apparent reason for change to beam was lack of visible weapons so maybe something else?Light Ion Cannons perhaps?)
Dargan - change to Plasma Accelerator - maybe 6 AD
Darkner - change to Plasma Accelerator - Maybe 6 AD
Liati - change name of Laser to Neutron Cannon
Morgrath - as is - Alien tech
Octurion - Change to either Missiles or make it also a fleet carrier? Maybe add interceptor
Primus - as you suggest perhaps Heavy Ion Cannons
Sullust chnage to Plasma Accelerator - maybe 8AD

just thoughts..........

:D

Right, what I'm looking at for some of those ships:

Darkner - it will become a light carrier, four Sentri flights and light armament at skirmish level. Carrier 2 and no fleet carrier. It has that huge bay at the front, after all.

Sulust - a Maximus writ large, with guardian array, probably plasma accelerator to give it more punch.

Morgrath - older design that keeps matter cannons and the first ship to mount the plasma stream. Who says it's alien tech? B5W fluff doesn't interest me that much, MGP has the license and they've changed enough, AoG "canon" has had its day as far as I'm concerned.

Octurion - either the plasma stream or ballistic torps up front and heavy ion cannons in every arc.

Primus - heavy ion cannons in every arc. Maybe a Tertius variant that reduces then to ion cannons and mounts a plasma stream as well.

Any thoughts?

blackphoenix said:
Using the same arguement about beamless Centauri since we never seen them in the show would be the same as arguing that Brakiri should have no weapons since we never once saw them fire....

hmm and you haven't been savaged to death over this statement? interesting......

Back