Battleships – Which Was Best?

AdrianH

Mongoose
Lurking quietly and unannounced on Planet Mongoose is the next big question: what was the best battleship of the Second World War?

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?cat=12

There does seem to be one error. About the USS North Carolina:
But then she got hit by a torpedo while supporting land operations on Guadalcanal.

This was the first time a US capital ship had been torpedoed, winning North Carolina the wrong sort of fame.
Presumably the USS California, which received a couple of torpedoes at Pearl harbor, didn't count because the torpedoes came from pesky aircraft. :)

Air-launched doesnt seem to have been considered - and even then carriers were considered capital by many, certainly are now, and became de facto considered capital by the end of 42 when their operational needs made the point they were the core of a fleet - but by the time mentioned in the article both Lexington and Yorktown had been torpedoed by Kates - so one can only assume that this story sticks to BB as capital ships.

I have one comment to the article

Warspite

AdrianH said:
Presumably the USS California, which received a couple of torpedoes at Pearl harbor, didn't count because the torpedoes came from pesky aircraft. :)

Battleship captains really don't like to consider aircraft...

Myrm said:

Certainly gets my vote as best named ship of all-time, ever.

I really like the blog entry Matt. I enjoy your writing, especially concerning all things Naval! Even if I can never convince my friends to play VaS 2 I know I will enjoy reading the book!

-Tim

Hopefully are rule book lives up to what gamers want in a good naval game. Thats alway the sign of a good set of rules. Nothing better than a happy gamer. :D

The only issue I have with the argument made, is fire control. While The Yamato class Battleships had superior range and penetration with the 18.1" guns, the inability to put rounds on target made these ships inferior to the Iowa class battleships. The 21, 22 Go radars we're good detection radars, but poor fire control sensors. The 16'/50cal guns on the Iowa's had almost as good penetration, and radar fire control by '43 made this class battleship the ultimate in naval heavy artillery. The 21, 22 Go radars we're good detection radars, but poor fire control sensors.

The Montana's would have even been better had they been built with the addition of 3 more 16" shells per broadside.

The UK Nelson's and KGV had the the electronics, but with the 16"/45 and 14"/45 guns just didn't have the penetration, also the KGV's had under-armoured superstructures.

also the KGV's had under-armoured superstructures.

Not really. The RN's protection philosophy was just different. As it turned out the arrangement proved to be entirely satisfactory.

DM said:
also the KGV's had under-armoured superstructures.

Not really. The RN's protection philosophy was just different. As it turned out the arrangement proved to be entirely satisfactory.

In the most famous Battleship duel in WWII, Prince of Wales took a disasterous hit near the bridge killing everyone on the compass deck, and severly wounding many on the bridge, fortunately the Captain was not injured.

The conning towers on the KGV's were on 3-4" of armor. Many Heavy Cruiser had better protected conning towers. Fortunately, there were not many opportunities to test the other philosophy.

I do agree that no ship had an impenatrable conning tower. But a near miss should not be able to take out your ship command and control. Most capitol ships have multiple con stations, but the bridge offers the best view, and allows commanders to select better COA's during combat.

OK, almost entirely satisfactory :)

Pedantic point #1 - its "capital" ship, not "capitol" ship (which would presumably feature a large white superstructure and dome, with an inordinate IR signature :) )

DM said:
OK, almost entirely satisfactory :)

Pedantic point #1 - its "capital" ship, not "capitol" ship (which would presumably feature a large white superstructure and dome, with an inordinate IR signature :) )

Pedantic point #1 received with humility. :oops:

Clearly it was the USS Alaska. Longer than the North Carolina class, bristling with AA weapons, a main battery that flung... Wait, what do you mean, it's a large crusier? :roll:

Back