Bardic Magic & Necromancy

@stroval

Mongoose
While I don't want to turn Legend into a D&D substitute(that would be an insult on many levels)
I maintain that those two magical traditions are an interesting addition to any World.

So:

Are there any d100 versions out there? Have Legend fans experimented with the magic of music and the dark arts on their own?

RE. Bardic magic.

Looking at common magic it would be very easy to interpret many of the spells as useable by a bard. Of course the lowest % score of sing, instrument and the common spell would have to be used to cast the magic.

Taking fanaticism as an example, take everything such as cast time, magnitute and duration as written on p166 Core Rules but make it affect allies within earshot up his charisma in number and the bard must continue to sing for the entire duration of the spell or it halts (and possibly play an instrument if you want to make life hard, which would be my choice as we are making common magic quite poweful here!). The spell may also endure briefly if bard has particularly high charisma, perhaps on par with the advancement roll modifier in combat actions.

After the initially listed casting time has expired the bard can weave another spell into the same song using the same rules. If the bard wishes only to cast upon one target (including himself) he may forgo the need for an instrument and thus be able to engage in combat as long as he is not interrupted my a major wound or some other method of silencing him.

Given the disadvantages of non interrupted singing & playing to maintain a spell and the obvious lack of ability to stealth or do a sneaky pre-casting, as well as the need for multiple skills required (sing/instrument/spell) I think the power enhancement by multi targeting the common spells is reasonable.
However this does tend to make the bard player a buff bot if targeting a group, so developing new spells would be advantageous in allowing the bard to play a more active role.

All these common magics would work, with those marked * working only on the bard himself.

beast call
bestial enhancement
becalm
befuddle
countermagic
demoralise
endurance
entertainers smile
fanaticism
glamour
golden tongue*
mobility
slow
spirit bane
thunders voice*
vigour

Lesser effect spells could be developed to work on whole armies to improve morale, vigour or fervour.

There's Necromantic Arts for MRQII, which should work fine with Legend. Although I hope that someday we will get Legend version of this book. Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic also has darker forms of sorcery, like summoning demons, spells for ripping enemy's heart out of his chest etc. and rules for gaining magic points via human sacrifice.

Matt_H said:
RE. Bardic magic.
I just think of Elan and honestly ... :roll:

As for necromancy, that's definitely something for either sorcery or a Death god of some sort - though Death gods are most likely concerned with such things as proper funeral rites for deceased people and extracting money from the bereaved to pray for the deceased's assured arrival in the happy afterlife ... Sorcery would be the way to go for the "digging up dead people out of the ground" crowd.

But can we have a logical reason for necromancers to go around purchasing cadavers from colleges of surgery and digging up fresh stiffs? A reason such as a desire to learn more about human anatomy (so they can improve their First Aid and Healing skills, and help advance the cause of Medicine).

OK, just a wild series of setting thoughts.

How about a background in which necromancers have discovered a way of stably transposing consciousness into another body. One need not die forever.

Suddenly bodies become a desired commodity... necromancers come out of the woodwork and become part of mainstream society and the structure of daily life.

Obviously not everyone can have a "fresh, new" body, so external wars and slavery are called upon, as well as stitching together of cadavers (which makes for a "lower class" of desperate people).

It could be easily expanded upon, but the basic set-up is of a society in which necromancers have become an honoured and non-creepy part of social structure.

Obviously other neighbouring cultures might have very different opinions of all this.

Necromancers could be as their real life origins: priests that commune with the dead (necromantia)

Although I do like the black arts twist that has been established afterwards

Back