Babylon 5's Mine Launcher

Ah, but the according to the stats the Secundus' Heavy Arrays don't replace the Twin Arrays they replace the Battle Lasers (Unless your talking AOG) so the weapon mounts which the Centauri fired were the Twin Arrays (Range 8")...

Or alternatively the Centauri ship wasn't firing from its maximum range, it needed to be able to fire on the G'Quan (forget the name) as well.

Nick

Yes they do...

I was just saying that it doesn't appear to be firing its Heavy Arrays (based on the Mongoose Stats, AoG Stats then it would be).

Nick

uhh i dunno. As Centauri never fire beams i have absolutely no idea what the Weapons fire from the Secundus is sposed to represent.....Twin Particles or Heavy Array.......

i get the impression, that it was listed in the upgrades, but we never saw it in action, still, pretty nifty.

Voronesh said:
uhh i dunno. As Centauri never fire beams i have absolutely no idea what the Weapons fire from the Secundus is sposed to represent.....Twin Particles or Heavy Array.......

Well the Twin Arrays on the basic Primus are obviously the turrets (otherwise the Battle Lasers would have wider arcs). The Secundus stats show the Battle Lasers disappear and the Twin Arrays get even bigger, I just guessed that the Twin Arrays wouldn't have (changed as they have the same arcs but more dice) where as the Heavy Arrays replace the Battle Lasers slot and would appear to be where the Battle lasers are fitted, which isn't the turrets...

Just my guess (on the AoG ship the Heavy Arrays replaced the forward most Twin Arrays andother stuff, troop quarters/larger hangers/tractor beams took up the space from the battle lasers)

Nick

Voronesh said:
And apparently never seen.......

Yup! :lol:

hey at least they made it into the game unlike the TWICE mentioned Centauri ion cannons which (aside from the Centauri factbook and Primus ship plans) have never made it into either B5 Wars or ACTA! :roll:

emperorpenguin said:
Yup! :lol:

hey at least they made it into the game unlike the TWICE mentioned Centauri ion cannons which (aside from the Centauri factbook and Primus ship plans) have never made it into either B5 Wars or ACTA! :roll:

According to one "fluff" site I saw, the ion cannons are plasma accelerators under another name.

The Centauri armament controversy is a bit confusing to me, though. As I understand it, the AoG guys looked at some plans from the show that had "laser barrels" on the Primus and armed it with battle lasers. However, the Primus we see on screen doesn't use these lasers it apparently possesses, and instead fires some sort of pulse weapon. One powerful enough to blow a chunk off Babylon 5 with only a few hits. What it is isn't stated in that episode to my knowledge.

So, who's right? Didn't JMS declare the AoG books "canon" as far as he was concerned? Surely if that's true, the lasers are official for the Centauri?

The whole 'Centaruri laser' debate goes back to the early days of B5W. Essentially, one studio official confirmed that the Centauri 'used lasers' as their primary anti-ship weapon, and the Primus' stats were created on that basis.

Then it was pointed out that the Centauri never actually fire lasers on screen. In particular, the cruiser in the episode mentioned (Fall of Night?), and one other in a fight with a Narn cruiser, where both ships are lost, only use pulse or particle weapons. To explain ths, the Heavy Array, and the Secundus that carries it, were designed.

To be fair, in B5W the Heavy Array is a much nastier weapon than it is in ACtA (think Double Damage, AP, Twin-Linked and lots of AD). I once disabled a Thentus with a single hit from one....

Yes but if you consider correct screen appearance, wed have stuff like F arced Laser cannons for Narn. When both the Primus and G'Quan due it out with a loss of both ships, Primus doesnt use any lasers at all, yet the G'Quan fires at a angle bigger than 45 degree to the side.

The Omega is able to fire downward as the turrets is really able to depress......

Nomad that is the Heavy array you mention with only a touch of AP added, which might be all the Secundus needs. But then again that might be too much.

It is interesting that unlike any of the game versions produced the only weapons on the Omega which actually have such restricted fire arcs are the aft lasers which are apparently fixed. All the others are on turrets...

Hell we see the Agamemnon shoot the Streib ship with its forward laser at nearly 90°...

Although nothing in the game suggests that weapons have no vertical movement in arcs, we have no 3D representation after all! Although that only works if all the ships are flying around in exactly the same orientation...

Nick

Back