Awesome

Mithras

Mongoose
I've played RQ2 and RQ3, and I am over the moon with the new MRQ. It is certainly different from the previous two incanations, but much more 3 than 2.

By far the best part of the new incarnation for me is hardback, and brevity. The combat rules look OK, but I often change a few things here and there as usual.

I LOVE the attributes as basic starting chances, emminently practical in my opinion. THe magic is so much cleaner than RQ3 as well. No-one dare play a shaman or sorcerer back in our old RQ3 campaigns!

I've been working on a bronze age Earth setting for years related to BRP, and I think this new MRQ is just the right system for it. I will have get on with it over the winter!

Congrats, Mongoose!

Cool to hear you're having fun. I also like the way skill bonuses are done. Very simple and effective.
And runecasting is cool.

I also like some of the changes to combat like the rolled initiative and the use of actions and reactions.

But, to be honest, many of the criticisms concerning the core combat mechanics are founded. Nothing you cannot houserule in a minute if you are an old RQ player, but nevertheless annoying.
I guess Mongoose will do 'RuneQuest the Godlearner's Edition' containing some fixes sooner or later.

I'm looking forward to Lankhmar and I hope it will be top quality.

Smiorgan

smiorgan said:
Cool to hear you're having fun. I also like the way skill bonuses are done. Very simple and effective.
And runecasting is cool.

I also like some of the changes to combat like the rolled initiative and the use of actions and reactions.

But, to be honest, many of the criticisms concerning the core combat mechanics are founded. Nothing you cannot houserule in a minute if you are an old RQ player, but nevertheless annoying.

Smiorgan

Good post, quite agree.

I have to ask...is your name a fictitious name that reads as it sounds, or is it one of those weird Irish spellings that's pronounced "Steve"? :D 8)

gamesmeister said:
[
I have to ask...is your name a fictitious name that reads as it sounds, or is it one of those weird Irish spellings that's pronounced "Steve"? :D 8)

It's a character from Moorcock's Elric books: Smiorgan Baldhead Count of Menii in the Isle of the Purple Towns, to be precise :D

smiorgan said:
gamesmeister said:
[

It's a character from Moorcock's Elric books: Smiorgan Baldhead Count of Menii in the Isle of the Purple Towns, to be precise :D

<slaps head> Of course it is! Haven't read those in a long time though... :D

I now hand you back to the purpose of this thread... 8)

Mithras said:
I've played RQ2 and RQ3, and I am over the moon with the new MRQ. It is certainly different from the previous two incanations, but much more 3 than 2.

By far the best part of the new incarnation for me is hardback, and brevity. The combat rules look OK, but I often change a few things here and there as usual.

I LOVE the attributes as basic starting chances, emminently practical in my opinion. THe magic is so much cleaner than RQ3 as well. No-one dare play a shaman or sorcerer back in our old RQ3 campaigns!

I've been working on a bronze age Earth setting for years related to BRP, and I think this new MRQ is just the right system for it. I will have get on with it over the winter!

Congrats, Mongoose!

How is the magic cleaner than RQ3?

90% of the MRQ magic systems just seem to be a cut and paste from the RQ3 rulebook, apart from the additions of runes and casting skills for Spirit magic, essentially nothing has changed except to change POW x 5 to Skill xx%.

That's one of the things that I find most disappointing about MRQ, it's very much, been there, done that. There is very little new and innovative about the new system.

I suspect if Mongoose had just licenced and reprinted RQ3 and promised to support it well, sales would probably be the same as they are now.

Vadrus

Vadrus said:
Mithras said:

Congrats, Mongoose!

How is the magic cleaner than RQ3?

90% of the MRQ magic systems just seem to be a cut and paste from the RQ3 rulebook, apart from the additions of runes and casting skills for Spirit magic, essentially nothing has changed except to change POW x 5 to Skill xx%.

That's one of the things that I find most disappointing about MRQ, it's very much, been there, done that. There is very little new and innovative about the new system.

I suspect if Mongoose had just licenced and reprinted RQ3 and promised to support it well, sales would probably be the same as they are now.

Vadrus

Dude, you're in Cheshire? I live in Liverpool. Any chance I know you already, maybe through a web of gamer networking?

Have you got a group right now?

No-one dare play a shaman or sorcerer back in our old RQ3 campaigns!

erm.... In RQ3 Sorcery was very near broken - Sorcerors got powerful pretty quick, Damage and spell resistance with huge durations ensured sound protection and multi-spells with a few large damage boostings... ahhhhh (we even had a guy playing a rules illegal Chaos-Elf Sorceror from Dorastor with 28 INT...power gaming at its worst; Unfortunately he never learnt to swim :) )

Shamans when they got hold of Enchantment spells went through the roof- their versions of Armouring and strengthening enchantments required no permanent pow loss to learn only to cast, and they had spirits on tap to help get their pow to stay high... I remember one Morokanth Shaman whose Total Body Hitpoints where 107.

Perhaps I've just got abusive players :?

Paul

For us the magic is cleaner because in chargen there is one magic skill, just pick your Rune. This makes choosing a magic-user so less intimidating from the off-set. In RQ3 you had to go through initiatian, bind a load of spirits, find out what spells they knew etc, or with the sorcerer dump lots of skill points into a bunch of Sorcery skills at low levels, THEN buy your spells. No-one in our group ever had the stomach for all that. WE like things simpler, and stuck to Spirit magic and Divine Magic - and stuck with the cults. Thats why I feel quite happy with the no-nonsense way chargen handles magic using characters. Your group is probably different, Vadrus.

Dead Blue Clown said:
smiorgan said:
I'm looking forward to Lankhmar and I hope it will be top quality.

What do you wanna know?

Hi DBC,

I'm already pleased by the snippets I've read on your blog. But I'd really like to know....

- about the flavour of sorcery (are there variants like Cold Magic, Quarmall style madness etc ?)
- about guilds, are they treated as RQ cults?
- stats for important NPCs
- about something cool I don't expect.

In general I will be happy if there are rules and crunchy bits that actually reflect the mood of the stories. The old 'City of Adventure' for AD&D,in its various incarnation, had a cool background (and a nice map), but the mechanics did not reflect the setting at all.

smiorgan said:
I'm already pleased by the snippets I've read on your blog. But I'd really like to know....

- about the flavour of sorcery (are there variants like Cold Magic, Quarmall style madness etc ?)
- about guilds, are they treated as RQ cults?
- stats for important NPCs
- about something cool I don't expect.

In general I will be happy if there are rules and crunchy bits that actually reflect the mood of the stories. The old 'City of Adventure' for AD&D,in its various incarnation, had a cool background (and a nice map), but the mechanics did not reflect the setting at all.

- Yeah. Cold Magic is pretty slow and minor, and mentioned in Nehwon. So is Quarmallian Necromancy - what little of it is mentioned in the source material, anyway.

- Yes, they are. They're not particularly important rules-wise, though they are a great way to get into various story hooks.

- Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are in there, as are most of the viable enemies they face. I was tough for word count, so while the Black Statue of the Devourers is in there for you to (try to) kill, stuff like Afreyt and Cif don't get mentioned with long stat blocks.

- I can't think of anything cool a fan of the books wouldn't expect. If it's in those damn stories, it's almost certainly in Lankhmar. One thing I'll say - climbing Stardock in a snowstorm is lethal. In my playtests for the Great Salt Marsh and Cold Waste enviromental modifiers (I always have to playtest that kinda stuff for fear of fucking it up) me and two other guys ran through a fight with a white worm after six hours of climbing. They, uh...they didn't make it.

Though, admittedly, they were starting characters and they forgot to use Hero Points, which Lankhmar characters tend to have a few more of.

Dead Blue Clown said:
- Yeah. Cold Magic is pretty slow and minor, and mentioned in Nehwon. So is Quarmallian Necromancy - what little of it is mentioned in the source material, anyway.

- Yes, they are. They're not particularly important rules-wise, though they are a great way to get into various story hooks.

- Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are in there, as are most of the viable enemies they face. I was tough for word count, so while the Black Statue of the Devourers is in there for you to (try to) kill, stuff like Afreyt and Cif don't get mentioned with long stat blocks.

- I can't think of anything cool a fan of the books wouldn't expect. If it's in those damn stories, it's almost certainly in Lankhmar. One thing I'll say - climbing Stardock in a snowstorm is lethal. In my playtests for the Great Salt Marsh and Cold Waste enviromental modifiers (I always have to playtest that kinda stuff for fear of fucking it up) me and two other guys ran through a fight with a white worm after six hours of climbing. They, uh...they didn't make it.

Though, admittedly, they were starting characters and they forgot to use Hero Points, which Lankhmar characters tend to have a few more of.

Thanks DBC,

So I guess there is much to like for me in Lankhmar and Nehwhon. It seems from your posts in the other thread that there is a lot of background on the world beyond the city. I won't particularly miss the two ladies from Rime Island, since those stories are not my favourite among Leiber's.

Smiorgan

107 HP? Perhaps your player should change to D&D or Exalted?
Its only example of what an abusive Morocanth Shaman could do with 32 POW and strengthening enchantment over the course of a five year campaign.
To be fare the Morokanth was a Heroquestor, suffered from a couple of geas and had managed to attain some thumbs :)

Its just an example to show RQ3 can be every bit as Munchkinny as any other system.

RQ3 could certainly be munchy. We added quite a few house rules to limit things. Simple things like not allowing more than double HP from Strengthening Enchantment or double AP from Armoring Enchantment. Spirit spells where limited to 4 points common, up to 8 rare, and up to 10 hero level. Divine was limited to 4 points. Sorcery was only limited by your Free Int plus matrix. While it could be powerful it never overshadowed the other magics.

Dead Blue Clown said:
And probably every other Leiber fan out there.

While I'm not a Leiber fan (I find myself not a fan of his writing style; I may get over it, though, after a few more reads as I was initially not a fan of Tolkien's writing style either, but I've come around) I am certainly looking forward to Lankhmar. More so than ANY of the other proposed MRQ settings.

Er, well, except, maybe, my own Gatecrasher 2371. But of the Mongoose settings, Lankhmar is the one I'm salivating for the most.

Lord Twig said:
RQ3 could certainly be munchy. We added quite a few house rules to limit things. Simple things like not allowing more than double HP from Strengthening Enchantment or double AP from Armoring Enchantment. Spirit spells where limited to 4 points common, up to 8 rare, and up to 10 hero level. Divine was limited to 4 points. Sorcery was only limited by your Free Int plus matrix. While it could be powerful it never overshadowed the other magics.

Hah! I was reading your post and thinking "Hey! That's pretty much exactly how we played!". Then I looked over and saw who posted...

Yeah. I'm a dork. :p

Back