Artificial Worlds

Rick said:
Begs the question though - if you're living on the inside of a hollow earth, you'll still need to find a way to add heat, but would you still need a magnetic field?
Not really if you live on the inside. Kilometers of rock blocks radiation quite well in fact!

Reynard said:
Search for what our magnetic field does for us. From there, imagine the field is used for damage protection both against physical and energy other than just background cosmic radiation, 'force field'.
Its not like we don't know how to create a magnetic field with an electric current.

Reynard said:
Search for what our magnetic field does for us. From there, imagine the field is used for damage protection both against physical and energy other than just background cosmic radiation, 'force field'.
Yes, but my point is that we are discussing living on the inside of a hollow earth - so such protection could be built into the planets surface, providing all the protection we should need right under our feet. If it is thick enough it should protect against all but the biggest asteroid impacts, as well as particle and energy shielding.

Very, very true and I do agree. I was postulating the builders using every opportunity to use all its know how for reasons unto themselves. One reason could be to fake a field to hide the missing core from low tech snoopers.

Reynard said:
Very, very true and I do agree. I was postulating the builders using every opportunity to use all its know how for reasons unto themselves. One reason could be to fake a field to hide the missing core from low tech snoopers.
Can't hide the missing mass, even with gravity generators, they don't suspend the law of enertia. A planet would have an effect on the Sun, the doppler shift on the Sun as the planet orbits would not be as great for a hollow planet.

OH MY GOD!! You mean someone may finally discover SOMETHING is very odd here and investigate? I think my postulations took these things into consideration as I spontaneously created this all as I typed. I somehow didn't do a thesis on the subject in minute detail, just a 'what if' on the subject of artificial worlds and a hollow world in Traveller is an artificial world.

Back