[Art]Kinunir

middenface

Cosmic Mongoose
kinunir-rises-ii-web.jpg

Probably, and I'm just guessing, it's the two blister turrets at the rear. They may not be strong enough to withstand reentry.
But I do see your point.

CT High Guard p51 "It's (Kinunir's) 1250-ton hull is of the cone configuration (actually slightly flattened, with a central fin mounted dorsally); it is streamlined and capable of atmospheric work (hull cost, including 10% surcharge for cone configuration.)"

The new 2022 High Guard described hull configurations as follows:
Standard: Boxy, cylindrical, series of joined boxes, possibly with rounded edges. Examples: yacht, subsidised liner.
Streamlined: Needle, wedge, disc, lifting body, lozenge, boxy with rounded nose. Examples: pinnace, shuttle, scout/courier, free trader.
A flatted cone seems closer to a streamlined wedge than a boxy or cylindrical design.

I'm wondering if the current classification for the ship's hull as a Standard Hull is correct. Given the historic description of the hull as streamlined and capable of atmospheric work, it seems like the current classification may be wrong, possibly lost in conversions between generations of the game. If the current Standard Hull is correct and intended design, I was hoping the authors or game designers could offer their take on this to help explain why Standard is better classification than Streamlined for the ship and perhaps why the drift from Classic Traveller.

To my eye, the Kinunir looks streamlined. It is among the most iconic Traveller ships.

1672094854058.png

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Kinunir_class_Vanguard_Cruiser

Last edited:
I wouldn't call Kinunir 'iconic' [at least not as iconic as the Beowulf or Broadsword], but yes, it's one of Top Ten ships for sure.
And I DO see your point. It definitely meets the criteria for streamlined and I'm inclined to IMTU that to be the case.

I was hoping the authors or game designers could offer their take on this to help explain why Standard is better classification than Streamlined for the ship
Yes, I’d be interested that as well. I’m not necessarily opposed to the structures as they are presented but it would be nice to hear the reasoning behind the choices.

Standard is cheaper and the ship has a pinnace for planetary landing purposes. You can keep your Kinunir in orbit for defensive or other reasons while transferring personnel, etc. You also incur a smaller armor-volume percentage with standard-config hulls.

Back