ART HELP! Zhodani artwork

ottarrus

Emperor Mongoose
I'm hoping someone can help me with some artwork issues I'm having.

Two ships from the MgT 1st ed Aliens Module 4 Zhodani book are central to a game I'm starting. I want to show the exterior views of the vessels without deck plans and use them as handouts in an R20 game.

Specifically, I want the exterior line drawings and 'in flight' views of the Yetsatl-class Courier and Dazhia-class Consular Cruiser on pages 95 and 101 respectively. In addition, I want to make a couple of slight modifications to the deck plans for when they become relevant in play.

I've purchased a pdf copy of the book, but I can't seem to edit the images to trim off what I don't want in the hand out or edit what I want to add to deckplan for later.

To be clear, I'm not looking to profit in any way from these images or otherwise violating the IP. I'm using them as handouts in a game, which is what they're designed for.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can accomplish these goals?

Unless I misunderstand your question, if you're using Windows 10, you can use Snip and Sketch to cut a portion of the image as it's being viewed by a PDF viewer, then either manipulate it in that program (not recommended) or save it of as a .png or something for import into something better. I'm sure a Mac or a tablet has something similar available.

Yes on Mac you can do shift+apple(command)+4 to bring up a crosshairs cursor that allows for dragging to screen grab a certain area of the screen. It then saves as a .png on the desktop and you then edit it in your app of choice.

Whatever system you’re on use the screen grab - once you learn it it’s really quick and easy and the files are lightweight and fairly robust.

And, on Linux,

Ctrl + PrtSc – Copy the screenshot of the entire screen to the clipboard.
Shift + Ctrl + PrtSc – Copy the screenshot of a specific region to the clipboard.

See this for even more options:-
https://itsfoss.com/take-screenshot-linux/

There's the transformative clause in copyright law.

Though I'd consult a solicitor who specializes in that.

How far cropping and let's say, recolouring the sketches would be considered transformative, I couldn't tell you.

I'd say if the new sketches don't get posted to the internet, you'll probably escape the scrutiny of the Imperial Inquisition.

A sincere THANK YOU to everyone who replied. Your advice and tips helped me get started on the project.
Then my wife, who used to be a typesetter for a book company, took a look at my work and your advice and it currently doing a much better job at it :D

Back