Art: feedback/critique requested.

wbnc

Cosmic Mongoose
Working on Action shots to put together and show around...If anyone has any suggestions or feedback I would be very grateful....I just need a fresh set of eyes.

Also is this the sort of art you would like to see, rather than static or 3-view static shots.

ffs__2240_tws_dahteste__attack_run_by_wbyrd-da4gxwr.png

topedoes_away_by_wbyrd-da4hir8.png

destroyer_in_combat_by_wbyrd-da4nvz3.png

I like this art, nice style to the ships. The blurred background gives the impression of speed/movement and the weapons fire adds drama to the image. My only criticism is the top ship side weapons look too long barrelled, the weapon depictions on the other two ships look better and more 'realistic'.

Action shots are great. Military ships should be rendered in their element.

Nothing shows action as much as being shot at. A small hit with outgassing and debris could look spectacular. You might even see laser beams flashing through the gasses.

Physics follows, I am sure you have heard it all before.

Lasers, Particles, and Mesons should not be visible in space. Plasma and Fusion should show like white-hot (or hotter) highly focussed flamethrowers.

Reaction drives, when used, should show as a giant, umm, rocket flare dwarfing the visual signature of the ship. (Sorry, I know I just said a rocket looks like a rocket.)

Mongoose specifies that visual and thermal sensors are the most effective sensors at long range. Basic camouflage would mean not showing a visual signature against the black background of space. I guess military ships would basically be matte black without gleaming detail. I think you did a ship in black on black space a while back, I liked it.

The eye has limited dynamic range. While looking at something in direct sunlight, the stars should be few, washed out, lacking colour. While looking at something in shadow the stars should be many, bright, and colourful, nebulae showing.

Old timer said:
I like this art, nice style to the ships. The blurred background gives the impression of speed/movement and the weapons fire adds drama to the image. My only criticism is the top ship side weapons look too long barrelled, the weapon depictions on the other two ships look better and more 'realistic'.

Thanks for the feedback.... I will try a couple of rebuilds on the guns of the Strike frigate... and see if any strike my fancy....

AnotherDilbert said:
Action shots are great. Military ships should be rendered in their element.

Nothing shows action as much as being shot at. A small hit with outgassing and debris could look spectacular. You might even see laser beams flashing through the gasses.

Physics follows, I am sure you have heard it all before.

Lasers, Particles, and Mesons should not be visible in space. Plasma and Fusion should show like white-hot (or hotter) highly focussed flamethrowers.

Reaction drives, when used, should show as a giant, umm, rocket flare dwarfing the visual signature of the ship. (Sorry, I know I just said a rocket looks like a rocket.)

Mongoose specifies that visual and thermal sensors are the most effective sensors at long range. Basic camouflage would mean not showing a visual signature against the black background of space. I guess military ships would basically be matte black without gleaming detail. I think you did a ship in black on black space a while back, I liked it.

The eye has limited dynamic range. While looking at something in direct sunlight, the stars should be few, washed out, lacking colour. While looking at something in shadow the stars should be many, bright, and colourful, nebulae showing.
Appreciate the comments.

Trying to find the balance between artistic impact and realism is proving to be a real pain in the Kiester....Sadly most starship combat would look rather bland compared to the cinematic version..occasionally a missile will detonate or a bit of scatter in dust or debris would be seen but using high-frequency lasers and would not be much to look at...

I'm working n exhaust trails but to get things right is tricky...the process is enough to drive a man to drink ...and that's just from watching the tutorials....

Added a bit of incoming fire to the image....the explosion animations are a bit...well you decide...
destroyer_incomng_by_wbyrd-da4q8ja.png

working with the limits of Blenders basic render system is tricky...lighting is a bit wonky. For some reason, it throws shadows off of objects in strange ways.......I get better results experimenting with its improved Cycles Render system but it is MUCH more complex....and that experiment was eaten by a gremlin before I remembered to save it....the program is crashing more and more as I work up to more complex images..may need to switch it over to my desktop for more processing power..my laptop is hating me right now.

wbnc said:
Appreciate the comments.

Trying to find the balance between artistic impact and realism is proving to be a real pain in the Kiester....Sadly most starship combat would look rather bland compared to the cinematic version..occasionally a missile will detonate or a bit of scatter in dust or debris would be seen but using high-frequency lasers and would not be much to look at...
Don't overthink the realism. Good art is much better than unfinished perfection... A little realism goes a long way.

You are doing good work.

In theory, you might find a convenient balance between “realistic” and “demonstrative” by having the laser reflect off of particles of dust in the laser’s color, much like how you would see dust through a window’s light in the afternoon; enough dust to show that the laser is firing, but not so much as to seem blatantly unrealistic. But that’s a matter of artistic license.

I like them.

The second (wedge) one is also a good Travellerization of the FFG Star Wars XWing model of the Imperial Raider.
I'd love to see stats for all of them (even if I disagree with the application; remember, they're your ships!)! Keep up the good work!

Jame Rowe said:
I like them.

The second (wedge) one is also a good Travellerization of the FFG Star Wars XWing model of the Imperial Raider.
I'd love to see stats for all of them (even if I disagree with the application; remember, they're your ships!)! Keep up the good work!

I plan on statting them out properly when I get my hands on the New High Guard...right now all I have are my rough draft notes...Also Iam pretty busy trying to work out how to re-stat ship I created for MgT1.0 for a book i plan on releasing.

I know a lot of people have widely varying tastes so I know not everyone will like every style I create.

I try a lot of different looks when I am practicing wth blender. Different shapes and different styles require using different techniques. I have created a ot of very different hull types as I do my practice models...Since each style of sci-fi has very different looks I felt I should work on as many styles as possible.

nighttime_delivery_by_wbyrd-da557sp.png

spin_hab_final_by_wbyrd-da564zj.png

I've often wondered what Space Stations or Star Docks look like in Traveller.

Or how a sector fleet might look like to the player's spacecraft if they somehow got mixed up in one.

IanBruntlett said:
I've often wondered what Space Stations or Star Docks look like in Traveller.

Or how a sector fleet might look like to the player's spacecraft if they somehow got mixed up in one.

I can't do a sector fleet...my computer would hire a hitman.....But here's a Scout Squadron doing a fly by...sorry for the short clip but had to keep the file size down to a minimum...

fleet_flythrough_by_wbyrd-da58pyz.gif

Back