Armageddon: WOW

Not to mention the UK tourney blokes who will have a nice PDF in about 2 weeks, I`m actually considering registring for the tourney JUST to get the PDF, even though I will still buy the book... I have 4 copies in pre order anyways at Dancing Dryad for urrrrm, to long now to be still healthy... neeeeed boook.... neeed shiny stufffffff....

Mongoose Acolyte said:
Entirely my fault, LDtD. He has the good fortune to go to the same local wargaming club as I and takes full advantage whenever I bring something new to look over, such as my copy of the Armageddon book.

He spent a considerable time scouring the book, looking at the shiney new rules and ships, working out what he liked and disliked (and making the occassional very odd noise..... :shock: :D ).

and they are very shiny :) i was like a kid ina candy store with unlimited funds, or like one of us at mongoose in fact with same :lol:

If fighters are being worried on as broken from people just observing the book, combine that with the new patrol level breakdown structure, and the waves upon waves of fighters at Battle (6 flights per priority point) and War priorities (12 flights per point) WILL come back. I'm very disappointed.

Ok. I'm not sure this is offensive at all. You had me worried, katadder.

This change means that figher ranges become big deals. The limit to the amount of damage huge fighter swarms can do is limited by the number of bases you can crowd around a ship. This is typically a ring about stands deep, one for each inch from the target ship. That's about 18 stands, which is a lot, but not over the top. Right? Let's check out a fighter of average quality that can suddenly leap into range from nowhere and mug, the Thorun.

18 stands: 18 dice, twin-linked, DD. Versus hull 5 -> 55.56% hits for 10.08 hits and a net of about 18 damage on the strike. Those 18 stands used to cost .... 6 patrol points, or about 2 Raid. So, I'd be short a couple of Targrath, or a Tikrit.

Doesn't feel wrong at all. Then, of course, the dyin' would start.

Note: CAP air and dogfighting become the only initial strike defenses against fighter strikes. I actually like this!

Don't scare me like that!

We'll talk about the patrol point ratios in another thread....

At least this time they're not precise.

Maybe Mongoose is thinking this will make dogfighting that much more ciritical? Hence the need to have fighters to counter fighters?

Making the anti fighter guns as good as useless again...

all we gonna do is going back... back into time

As someone who has been using the rules for some time, DO NOT WORRY...the fighter change gave them back their teeth...but I have yet to see a fighter-heavy force do pre-SFOS damage.

I am a Raider player when I want to have fun (and likely lose), and I bring LOTS of Ds, D2s, and DblVs...and although they tend to do a decent amount of damage against smaller ships - they slowly get wiped out afterwards by all that anti-fighter firepower.

I assure you, Armageddon does NOT make all-fighter forces viable. In fact, several Scenarios would automatically disqualify you when you lost your last ship. As Aux Craft ARE NOT SHIPS, several scenarios are lost when your last viable SHIP leaves the table...

So, although I am glad to see that fighters now pack a little more punch without having a zillion adjusted statlines, I would ask that you do not fear the waves of fighters that we saw pre-SfoS.

Okay, back to work for me...
Bry

I realy like the change, it can become really nasty with fighters like the shadow fighter or the vorlon but they still easily.

did i already mention shadows come with fighters for free now in their dispersal tubes? but vorlons have an anti fighter defense if you get too close, doesnt work on shadow or vorlon fighters tho

Anti fighter guns useless? I hardly think so, it just means that fighters will get the chance to at least do SOME damage before they're all blown clean out of the sky. I think some people are far too quick to panic and scream broken at anything that has the potential to be at all effective.

We are talking about military fighter craft and warships and yet people still whine just because they are capable (gasp!!) of actually doing some damage to the enemy!!!

Also consider this: When was the last time that you lost anything tougher than a patrol or skirmish level ship to fighters (soley, I mean, if a war ship loses all but 2 dmg points to neutron lasers and then gets finished off by a couple of Nial flights thats hardly the same :p). Consider this too, why is the Nial about the only truly good fighter in the game? Simple, because it can actually survive being looked at funny for long enough to actually get a shot or two off.

I must admit I was still kind of hoping for fighters to pack a tiny bit more of a punch but this change is a good start at least imho.

Now to wait and see if theyve fixed stealth enough...

katadder said:
did i already mention shadows come with fighters for free now in their dispersal tubes? but vorlons have an anti fighter defense if you get too close, doesnt work on shadow or vorlon fighters tho

oh that sounds great free fighters for my shadows :) its good new the vorlons have an antifighter defense (supose its a special rule not a weapon, maybe some kind of discharge field)

the stealth is already been mentioned:

-1 at short

0 at medium

+1 at long

Definitely solves the Drakh-scout too combat-worthy issue.

Makes scouts work for it to not use special actions, yet stay within 24- 20 inch ranges. Unfortunately, the nastiest / worst offending scout out there, the Vaarl, doesn't have to worry about that with SM. Durn. Just another reason why it's better.

Back