Arachnid modelling questions

Mr Benn

Mongoose
Hi folks,
I've just started painting my bug horde and am looking for advice.

1) Warriors: How do you distinguish warrior units? Do you use subtle details (such as a small coloured dot), larger details (such as carapace and head colourings), completely different colour schemes or just rely on a good memory?

2) Blister/Blasters bugs: Are you purists and only use blisters as blisters and blasters as blasters; or do you use the same models to represent either (assuming you're not fielding both types)

I would saymake warrior bugs more 'dangerous' looking. Give them more markings.
And with blister/blasters, I don't mind, I'd give extra brownie points for someone being truthful to the colour schemes.

I try to make different carapace markings on Warrior swarms, although I stick to the same colour. It's not that hard, and even with the carapace layout varying only a little from brood to brood, it's easy to distinguish the units.

I believe he's talking about warriors and workers.

But yeah for swarms, I suggest the carapace. I normally just try to remember, as I have huge units sometimes, and other times small ones like. So I paint them all the same. Except tiger bugs.

Rob_alderman said:

It doesn't really matter in the case of Warriors and Workers, as all the models in a Force have to be either Warriors or Workers.

All warrior bug units in the army may be turned into worker & warrior units, reducing each bug’s target characteristic to 4+ at a cost of –5 points per model. If taken, this option must be applied to the entire army and cannot be given to individual units.

Rob_alderman said:

Hmmm...In workers&warriors ALL warriors must be upgraded to this and ALL warriors have target 4+. There's no need to distinguish workers or warriors because rules have been abstracted so that it's just point reduction for your warriors for worser target value.

tneva82 said:
Rob_alderman said:

Hmmm...In workers&warriors ALL warriors must be upgraded to this and ALL warriors have target 4+. There's no need to distinguish workers or warriors because rules have been abstracted so that it's just point reduction for your warriors for worser target value.

LMAO!

Great Minds . . . . . .

Rob_alderman said:

No, I meant different units of warriors (sorry if that was unclear).

I've just finished the first batch in yellow and black on the legs and claws with red/orange carapace markings. I was considering doing the second batch the same yellow and black but with green carapace markings.

I thought I'd ask for advice before I had to repaint the whole second batch if they didn't work out.

I am painting each full swarm in radically diferent patterns and am going to use major color schemes for further identification.

First twenty were just to get practice with assembly and try some clear acrylic with inkcoloring added as washes. Works great

First group of twenty yellow pattern markings over black with transparent red wash over all.

Next fifteen will be blue, then green, then orange yellow Tigers, then Blue white Tigers etc., I feel it will add to the psychological pressure against my opponents, plus a potential confusion factor for them. Not to mention having large swarms of very basic colors should add a great deal of visual drama and appeal to the game table.

Just my attempt to justify painting such radically different colored units.

Long live the Queen!!!!! (Queen Bug that is) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good memory or a dot underneath is easiest, that way you can paint them all the same for uniformity (same as in no distinct pattern for units) the dot can be any color since its underneath

Back