Appeal of Savage Worlds

VincentDarlage said:
Well, celmive... I guess not everyone is a fan, or even mildly appreciative of the effort I give.

I guess I could defend myself with the 15 published books I wrote by myself, and the handful I collaborated on with others, as well as the unpublished output, but what would be the point? After all, as a "part-time artist" without any amazing output, what on Earth could I possibly say that would have merit?

I've never claimed to be amazing, but honestly I have never been slammed because I wasn't amazing. I've been slammed for some pretty valid reasons on these boards - those critiques just make me want to do better for everyone the next time around, but to be slammed for not being amazing? How on Earth does that even help me? Do you really expect people to be amazing at everything they do? And then, if they aren't amazing, immediately dismiss anything they offer? Can't you find value in something less than amazing? Curious standard you hold.

Have a nice day, celmive. You've certainly pissed in my Cheerios for no particular reason and given a rather sour note to my day, but still... have a nice day.

~Vincent the part-time artist without any amazing output.

Ehi Vincent, remember that critics do what they do, because they cannot do anything else. Or, as Woody Allen put it: "who knows, does; who doesn't know, teaches physical education" :)

celmive said:
Vincent - do not be like that... I find it strange that I have been quite a fan of the genre since the 70's and you are off the radar other than a few pics I have seen in a long forgotten fanzine and a series of d20 books.

I have pics in a long-forgotten fanzine? Wow. I don't even know how that is possible. I have only sold one picture in my life, a succubus drawing of my wife which was used in Morrigan Press' Atlantis: The Second Edition.

Be neat to find this fanzine. I certainly don't remember doing any fanzine art.

One of my most treasured memories is sitting on the balcony of a hotel in Luxor overlooking the Nile and reading Stygia: Serpent of the South. The location may have helped, but the atmosphere of the book really fit the crumbling tombs and temples.

I was also impressed by the research. I especially remember wondering why Mr Darlarge had bothered with a full cult and mysteries list for Seshat, a goddess of whom I had never heard, and who seemed to be a sort of female Thoth. Then we went on tours of Luxor and Karnak, and by Crom there she was, all over the walls of both of them. And the minor temples too. Turns out she was really important.

Well, I was impressed!

VincentDarlage said:
celmive said:
Vincent - do not be like that... I find it strange that I have been quite a fan of the genre since the 70's and you are off the radar other than a few pics I have seen in a long forgotten fanzine and a series of d20 books.

I have pics in a long-forgotten fanzine? Wow. I don't even know how that is possible. I have only sold one picture in my life, a succubus drawing of my wife which was used in Morrigan Press' Atlantis: The Second Edition.

Be neat to find this fanzine. I certainly don't remember doing any fanzine art.

Well it was attributed to a V Darlage... I remember that much. Think it was Etchings & Odysseys but it was some time ago - But if that wasn't you then you are even further below the radar than I first thought. That said you obviously have your fandom base which is great and I wish you all the luck for the future and hope your atlases and sourcebooks that you have worked on see the light of day.

celmive said:
Well it was attributed to a V Darlage... I remember that much. Think it was Etchings & Odysseys but it was some time ago - But if that wasn't you then you are even further below the radar than I first thought.

Interesting. I did a search on that title. Issue one was in 1973... I would have been three years old. Looks like the last issue was in 1987 (I would have been 17 years old). Hmmm.... a mystery.

Getting a bit off topic but I am a bit shocked you were not aware of one of what was the best small press fanzines of the genre but c'est la vie.

Okay I have read a couple of your writings & yes they are very readable. I would quite like to see a book of your tales. They were not what I expected but credit where credit is due.

Regards

Checked a bit Savage world this week-end, made some test. I found killing 4 Orcs at the same time was not easy even with lot of combat edge (tough sweep helped a lot)

what seemed to suck a bit is that if you don't have d12 in Figthing well you're in deep sh$%@#. So I think right from start if you plan to play a character somewhat a decent figther, you just spend the points and put d12 in figthing. but that also mean character start quite powerful. Unless you give the city guard a d12 too...

Or you give the city guard reach weapons and make sure there are plenty of them, which nicely counters a high fighting skill and gives them huge ganging up bonuses.

Also, we've been playing a long, tough campaign and I've never increased fighting past D10, and playing tactically that's proved more than enough.

Having played and GM'ed SW a lot and written a few conversions for it myself. My main issue, at least in fantasy, is that characters tend to become too similar.
All fighter types have more or less the same stats, edges and skills, and the same goes for magic using characters.
System-wise it plays fast and I like both the shaken rules as well as wounded characters having penalties to their skills. D20 is more rules heavy and fights tend to take longer, specially at higher levels. To me that's no problem since my players love the fights.

superc0ntra said:
Having played and GM'ed SW a lot and written a few conversions for it myself. My main issue, at least in fantasy, is that characters tend to become too similar.
All fighter types have more or less the same stats, edges and skills, and the same goes for magic using characters.
System-wise it plays fast and I like both the shaken rules as well as wounded characters having penalties to their skills. D20 is more rules heavy and fights tend to take longer, specially at higher levels. To me that's no problem since my players love the fights.

Totally agree

superc0ntra said:

Yeah, that was my impression too. Basicly most adventurer will want to max Figthing and take the good combat edge. Then they'll take 2-3 favlour edge. Can quickly become boring.

On a side note, one of the best gaming system i've tried so far is A Song of ice and fire (for Game of throne RPG). I'm sure a Conan version of this would be really nice.

superc0ntra said:

I disagree with this statement because I think this is not so much an issue with the rules, but rather an issue with the players and the campaign itself. As a GM, if you run a combat heavy campaign your players will begin to gravitate towards the combat skills and edges because that will make them more effective. If a GM doesn't challenge the players with social situations, intrigue, or investigation adventures, there really isn't a need for characters to take those skills. Also, if you players rely on stats and rules to determine how they player their character, Savage Worlds may not be for them. D&D has rules for alignment for instance, which determines how your character perceives the world around him and how he interacts with other aligned characters. Some players like this, others do not.

I ran a Conan game with 2 players using Savage Worlds, one was an Aquilonian soldier, the other a Kothian soldier. They both had very distinct skill and edge selections, and both had very different progressions planned out. They were both proficient in combat as one used a shield and heavy armor while the other had a higher Fighting skill, was two-fisted and stuck with just a leather jerkin. They ended up using a variety of weapons like swords, bows, and spears, as most of the time these were scavenged from dead enemies rather than purchased.

The campaign challenged them with mass combat, scouting missions, chase scenes on horseback, slavery onboard a pirate ship, personal combat with the captain of said pirate ship, command of the pirate crew after winning said personal combat, and various other types of encounters. I think the only skills NOT used were Repair, Driving, Piloting and Investigation. They didn't touch the arcane stuff either, as it was Conan after all and they feared magic.

Those 2 players still talk about it and consider it one of the best games they every played in. They also both stated they would never return to d20-based games as they really enjoyed the freedom to create the character they wanted to play.

Back