Anyone have a list of currencies used by B5 governments?

Kizarvexis

Mongoose
I know the EA uses credits, the Centauri use ducats, but what about the rest? Does anyone know what the other races use?

Kizarvexis

Well I can't think of any other currencies being mentioned off the top of my head. ANd I'm not sure if the ducat is the Centauri unit of currency, or the name of a coin.

LBH

as far as I remember atleast in the show. they only talked about two units of currency. the Centauri use the Ducat. and Earth uses Credits. I dont belive they mention the others and as far as I remember they dont realy mention it in the RPG books ither.

In "In the Begining", G'Kar talks about human currency having lost it's value. That suggests that humans have their own currency. I see three possibilities.

1) The "credit" is the human currency. We saw it a lot on the show because B5 was run by EA. Each race has it's own currency we just never heard of them.

2) The human currency, whatever it was, dissapeared after the Minbari war and the humans adopted the "credit" which is an inter-racial currency (like the Euro but on a galactic scale). Some rich races still have their own currency (like the Centauri) but most use only the credit particularly for inter-racial trade.

3) A mix of the two. The "credit" is the human currency but it regained it's value after the war and became the inter-racial currency described in option 2. But that seems kind of a stretch.

I think option two makes a lot of sense. The Narn economy, was destroyed at least twice so it would make sense that they don't have their own currency. Minbari don't seem to do much trade internally so just using galactic currency would suit them fine. And the League, being a group of small nations would use it for the same reasons Erope uses the Euro.

You'll find the answer to this topic in Merchants, Raiders and Traders.

I wanted to go into alot more detail on some of the other currencies...but it gets a boxed-text section in the beginning instead.

You can thank the Markab for the credit...sort of... :)

Bry

Mongoose Steele said:

I wanted to go into alot more detail on some of the other currencies...but it gets a boxed-text section in the beginning instead.

Bry

I thought MRT might have what I'm looking for. I'll have to get it now, whenever it comes out. ;)

Kizarvexis

Glad to hear that. It is an important topic. Thank you for bringing it up Kizarvexis! And now we know where the answer will be.

Mongoose Steele said:

Bry

I was hoping for more, but what I found was enough. The rest of the book looks real interesting.

Yeah, I had more written for it...like a table of wheres and whats with exchange rates, but I cut it out because it was just too big and math-heavy to be on-the-spot useful.

Perhaps it will get a new lease on life in Signs and Portents.

We'll see how busy I am and whether or not I have the time.

Bry

Mongoose Steele said:
Yeah, I had more written for it...like a table of wheres and whats with exchange rates, but I cut it out because it was just too big and math-heavy to be on-the-spot useful.

Perhaps it will get a new lease on life in Signs and Portents.

We'll see how busy I am and whether or not I have the time.

Bry

Cool!

Back