Any Word on Conan Quest?

The guys at the rumour mill have been working overtime on this. All the RQ combat amputations DO suit Conan though, don't they. :wink:

DD

Does anyone here have the player's book for conan and would it be a necessary buy if I tried a conversion?

I want a d20 to MRQ conversion or a RQ Conan core book before I buy any of the Conan books.

Then I'll probably get the lot...

IF and only IF they do Conan books for RQ, I HOPE they put in a D20/OGL section, I'd LIKE to not have all the gamebooks I bought from them to be invalidated because they have a spiffy new system for everything.

I'm a BIG supporter of multi-stat books. It's be cool to see a conversion PDF of some sort for books already released, and multi stat books for new ones.

Mac V said:
I'm a BIG supporter of multi-stat books. It's be cool to see a conversion PDF of some sort for books already released, and multi stat books for new ones.

Oh, that's a good idea. I'm with you on hoping for that, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Durand Durand said:
The guys at the rumour mill have been working overtime on this. All the RQ combat amputations DO suit Conan though, don't they. :wink:

DD

They do sound absolutely like conan. At the moment I am reading several conan stories from REH again and every some minutes I think...thats RuneQuest! :)

Mac V said:
Does anyone here have the player's book for conan and would it be a necessary buy if I tried a conversion?

If you like to do some home work, its a good idea. Using the RQ system for combat and other skills is not difficult. More difficult is the spell conversion. For this I would use the Call of Cthulhu method of casting spells (of course negating the sanity loss) using the spells in the conan basic book.

Or wait until next year. Mongoose matt wrote somewhere that Conan material will appear for Runequest (but not Conan 2nd edition).

I'll probably wait. I want to either do Glorantha or Conan with RQ. I don't have much free time at the moment. That should give me time to check out both worlds and see wich my group would prefer.

I just read this at rpg.net

That will take you a long time - we have no intention of stopping the current version of Conan. . .

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

It seems there will not be a MRQ Conan. Disappointing.

"Hyborian Adventures" is listed on the Mongoose site as coming on the 7th May 2007 (stick "Runequest" into the Search box on Mongoose's site and it somes up with all sorts of interesting stuff with probable - but unlikely? - release dates.)

Yeah, I can see a conversion book, but I can't see them stopping the whole line to convert to RQ. Dual stat books would be cool in the future though.

Mac V said:
Yeah, I can see a conversion book, but I can't see them stopping the whole line to convert to RQ. Dual stat books would be cool in the future though.

In the future I see 4.0. and maybe a pullback of the d20 OGL. So the decision to further cater the d20 fans could be a bad one in the long run. D&D could be a proprietary rule system again next year.

Whatever.

And to Dual stat? Meh.

Enpeze said:
D&D could be a proprietary rule system again next year.

So?

They can't close what's already been opened, so the 3.0/3.5 ruleset is here to stay. All the 3rd party publishers aren't going to close up shop just because D&D 4.0 isn't open. And think of derivatives like C&C and True20; they won't just go away if D&D 4.0 goes closed.

It'll split the market, most likely, with die-hard D&D people following the 4.0 track and d20 System fans following the OGL track. But I'm not worried about D&D 4.0 upsetting what's good in the market right now.

What's more likely is the d20 logo being pulled, which would effectively cut off new publishers from being able to establish a brand. I have mixed feelings about "third party" d20 logos without an established brand to attach them to.

I heard a foul rumour that the d20 OGL is at an end, the 4th edition of d20 isn't open but dedicated - not sure if that means the end of OGL, or if they can continue to support the 3rd ed.

Exubae said:
I heard a foul rumour that the d20 OGL is at an end, the 4th edition of d20 isn't open but dedicated - not sure if that means the end of OGL, or if they can continue to support the 3rd ed.

Legally they can't pull "d20 3.5" from the OGL. Whether it's the end of d20 OGL is up to everyone but Wizards/Hasbro. If people still buy d20 (non-logoed) OGL supplements and people keep producing them, it'll live on. I doubt the "generic" d20 stuff will survive - nobody is going to want to buy dungeon adventures that don't work under D&D 4th ed (yes I'm exaggerating - some people will want to, but not enough). Full d20-derived games such as Spycraft, Conan, World of Warcraft, B5, etc can probably survive well enough on their own without needing to use D&D as a crutch.

It'll probably be the end of the "generic d20" stuff that Mongoose used to produce (obviously they had the foresight to stop relying on that long ago) and a lot of publishers still do. It'll take a while to die out, but without a set of core rules to support it'll still die eventually. The diehard 3.5 fans will keep it going for a while, but eventually there will be less and less of those.

If someone used the d20 SRD to create a decent set of generic fantasy rules (effectively a 3.5 PHB/DMG replacement), maybe that would do the trick - but it would have to have something really special for RPG newbies to want to buy it rather than D&D v4 - the newbie market tends to lead sales, as they are the people who will buy maybe 60-70% of the next five years worth of releases (I believe the estimated "lifespan" of an RPG customer is about four to five years before they go do something else with their life. Those of us that have been at this for fifteen years plus are something of a rarity)

Also bear in mind that there's more than just d20 in OGL... If D&D v4 doesn't have an OGL version, all the third-party publishers are likely to look for a new line to support, and will look for other OGLed systems... such as RuneQuest (once again Mongoose appear to be ahead of the game and have something on the market ready to leap into the hole left if D&D vacates it).

It's also worth remembering that - as far as I'm aware - Mongoose doesn't actually own the Conan universe, just currently has a [presumably time-limited] licence to produce a product based on the work. If Hasbro drive a dump-truck full of money into the Conan owners back yard, a D&D 4 CONAN is likely. :cry:

Then lets hope they throw together the MRQ version long before the license goes up for grabs.
Should be cool.

Paul

Back