Android as Player Character

Varulv

Banded Mongoose
One of my players would like to play an android character, e.g. like in Bladerunner.

Are there any rules somewhere for that? In MGT2 or other sources? I have no problem handwaving this but rules for creation and how to handle e.g combat damage would be helpful.

There is a robot book to be released later this year, until then you could just treat it as a different identifier to a standard human. Maybe issues are medical recovery of damage is a no go, but maybe a specific recovery at a robotics institute can occur, subject to a lot of act in costs.

You can home brew your own rules, as it’s your game and if you and your player are happy with the situation go for it!

A thing to remember is that true sentient level AI is above TL 15.
You'll need to fiat your way around that.

easy!

the androids in bladerunner were actually genetically engineered vat-grown human stock.

so just make him a human with perhaps some bonuses to specific attributes based upon his models intended use (military, worker or "entertainment")

then give him some relevant skills (but NOTHING irrelevant) and a life span of @ 8 years and set him free in your universe!

his genetically engineered body would act just like a standard human excepting any modifications for purpose.

easy!

Thank you all for your input.

I found a short chapter on synthetic sophonts in T5, but directions to other rules are more than welcome.

I can't speak to actual release timing (I can just point you to the listed release schedule and you can consider that a no-sooner-than date) but there will be some guidance on robots as Travellers in the upcoming Robot Handbook. With referee approval and understanding that true sentience isn't available at TL15, they can be created using the normal generation process, but they won't have prior education or background skills and might be considered property. Also look at the limitations on Expert/x software. Really complex tasks will beyond them.

You can also check out the MT1 version of the Robots book, or Book 8 Robots from the original. Both are on DTRPG.

I recommend waiting for the upcoming MgT2 Robot Handbook if you can. I was an editor on it, and if I can say so without making its author blush (here's looking at you, Geir), it is excellent. Far superior to all previous treatments of robots in the game in my opinion.

They did release a Cybernetics book for 1st Edition mongoose Traveller. Worth a look.

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/supplement-8-cybernetics-ebook.html

:mrgreen:

FYI, the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep they were Androids. In the movie Bladerunner they were Biroids.

We are starting the new campaign this weekend so unfortunately I cannot wait for the upcoming Robot Handbook (but I’m looking forward to it nonetheless).

I have the CT Book 8 but it feels a bit outdated, but the Cybernetics book for MgT1 might be what I need.

Thank you all for your input!

The Bladerunner 'androids' are actually clones, vat grown human flesh from a genetic template, so they're not mechanical at all.
The Traveller's Digest was a magazine that ran for years and each issue featured the same 4 characters, one of which is a highly advanced android robot that can pass as a human. Many adventures deal with 'Aybee' [from his designation AB 101] trying to understand humanity... a sort of 'Pinocchio' or 'Cmdr. Data' subplot. So I can see why your player would like to try that out. However, AB 101 was very late TL 15, maybe early TL16 technology. And there was only one person who could repair him in case of damage, his creator [Dr. Krenstein, who was also a PC].

All that said, I might suggest that your player try a clone instead.

Spoiler (well, not really, it's more of an FYI): I put clones in the robots book too... yeah not a robot, but still a constructed being, especially if quick-grown.
"Let me tell you about my mother."

Geir said:
Spoiler (well, not really, it's more of an FYI): I put clones in the robots book too... yeah not a robot, but still a constructed being, especially if quick-grown.
"Let me tell you about my mother."

PLEASE tell me they have a 'nipple' at the base of their skull like 'Space: Above and Beyond'... :p [the force-bred clones of S:AB had a biological tube of some form attached to the base of their skulls in their artificial womb tanks, and the general public called them 'nipple-necks']
While that was a truly awful series from a military standpoint, it had some VERY interesting subplots that I would have liked to see explored more... the clones and 'synths' [androids] for just two of them.
Also, 'Chiggy von Richtofen' was an AWESOME nickname.

Back