Ancients Nit pick.

Judge Walker

Mongoose
I flipped through this book today at my LGS, very well done I have to say. I do have 2 quibbles, however.

1) I was dismayed at the exclusion of Athena as one of the patron deities...uhm Athens anyone?

2) And what happened to the Thessalians? First, there is that whole deffering to their women, I know of very few ancient cultures that did this, especially a Greek-like one. Also, the Thessalians had some the best cavalry in the ancient world why wasn't this factored in? I would think giving them a Ride bonus and maybe the mounted combat feat for free would be in order.

Note, I didn't have the funds to actually pick the book up so I admit I may have missed something, but these really caught my eye.

Besides the above, I was really impressed with it. I may even plan a "Ranks of Bronze" game in the near future. :D

Judge Walker said:
I flipped through this book today at my LGS, very well done I have to say. I do have 2 quibbles, however.

1) I was dismayed at the exclusion of Athena as one of the patron deities...uhm Athens anyone?

She wasn't excluded. Check page 203. Athena takes up nearly half of it. :)

Judge Walker said:
2) And what happened to the Thessalians? First, there is that whole deffering to their women, I know of very few ancient cultures that did this, especially a Greek-like one.

The Thessalian background is really a very mythic one, designed to incorporate the idea that Thessaly was full of witches. Your suggestion would make perfect sense in a more historical campaign. As it was, the Thessaly of the book really defaults to the mythic rather than the literal.

Mongoose Ade notloggedin said:
Judge Walker said:

She wasn't excluded. Check page 203. Athena takes up nearly half of it. :)

Judge Walker said:
2) And what happened to the Thessalians? First, there is that whole deffering to their women, I know of very few ancient cultures that did this, especially a Greek-like one.

The Thessalian background is really a very mythic one, designed to incorporate the idea that Thessaly was full of witches. Your suggestion would make perfect sense in a more historical campaign. As it was, the Thessaly of the book really defaults to the mythic rather than the literal.

1) Thanks. As I said I only had the chance to flip through it briefly and probably missed a bit.

2) Ok, I can see that , but what about the idea of Thessalian horsemanship?

Back