I am not running OGL Ancients

Utgardloki

Mongoose
But I think I remember seeing a post here about that system, and I have plans to run a new 4E D&D campaign inspired by the movie _300_, so I thought this might be a good place to go for ideas.

What I am trying to think of is:

1) How to get PCs together if they come from different city-states? Why would a Spartan-type character, an Athens-type character, and an elf, and a dragonborn character come together into an adventuring group?

2) What would be good ideas for adventures and side adventures in a setting somewhat like ancient Greece?

The PCs will be starting out at low level, which may limit what they might be able to do. I also plan to have evil trees involved.

Aren't you the one that elsewhere said the 4th edition rules were a mess? Which way did you change your mind, for or against?

I had posted this when I first bought the 4E rules and decided to give them a try.

Unfortunately, in trying to define the campaign, I kept running up against limitations of the 4E system, so decided to scrap it and work on something else instead.

So, unfortunately, this particular project no longer applies to anything. I might run the campaign some time in the future, probably with a different game system, but for now my setting of "Oriyexa" joins a long list of campaign worlds that I once thought of and might think of again.

For what it's worth, here is what I determined with regard to the original question of getting the PCs together:

The PCs could meet at something like the Olympic games. This would give them a chance to compete against NPCs and each other, and potentially impress patrons.

During the festival, they come to the attention of the daughter of a prominent politician, who is known to have been studying magical artifacts. She asks them to recover some artifact for her.

I don't know if I'll get any farther on this, but I put it here in case it helps some other GM who wants to do an ancient Greece or ancient Greek-themed campaign

Back