American wants to know about amazon.com.uk

A

Anonymous

Hey, all! I'm american and I want desperately to acquire the two volumes of the collected Conan stories that are offered on amazon.com.uk, since I can't get them here in the US to my knowledge.

My question is: does the uk amazon deliver to the US, and if so, are there a bunch of hurdles I have to jump through to have books sent to the US? I suppose I could just try to buy them and see what happens but I was hoping someone has already tried and had a good experience. Also, I'm not sure what the exchange rate is between the pound and dollar, so any help there would be appreciated. Thanks...

Flashman said:
Hey, all! I'm american and I want desperately to acquire the two volumes of the collected Conan stories that are offered on amazon.com.uk, since I can't get them here in the US to my knowledge.

My question is: does the uk amazon deliver to the US, and if so, are there a bunch of hurdles I have to jump through to have books sent to the US? I suppose I could just try to buy them and see what happens but I was hoping someone has already tried and had a good experience. Also, I'm not sure what the exchange rate is between the pound and dollar, so any help there would be appreciated. Thanks...

I don't know the pound exchange rate, but I ordered these books a couple of years ago from amazon.uk, and had no troubles. They arrived relatively quickly (1-2 weeks), and the price wasn't overmuch. I think it was around $35 for the two volumes, including shipping, but that was a couple of years ago.

At the moment, the US dollar is almost at an all time low compared to Pound Sterling - Almost 2 dollars to every pound.

Can't tell you about UK to US delivery, but it's actually .co.uk, not .com.uk

Thanks, guys! You were a big help. I am a Conan freak and it's killing me that I can't get the books here in the States.

flashman said:
Thanks, guys! You were a big help. I am a Conan freak and it's killing me that I can't get the books here in the States.

The price has definitely gone up because of the weak dollar. When I got these a year ago from Amazon.co.uk I think my credit card statement read something around $40 including shipping.

Oh, and it was worth it! :D

Yuan-Ti said:
flashman said:

The price has definitely gone up because of the weak dollar. When I got these a year ago from Amazon.co.uk I think my credit card statement read something around $40 including shipping.

Oh, and it was worth it! :D

I just ordered the two books about an hour ago with no problems whatsoever. It came out to about 22 pounds with shipping, so if Mayhem is right it should come out under $44. A bit steep unless you are REH's bitch, which I definitely am. :D

You shouldn't need to go to a British source for the book. I'm also across the pond, and I ordered from our Amazon (if I remember correctly). For that matter, mine was considerably cheaper than list – with free shipping, I paid US $36 for my copy.

InsomNY said:
You shouldn't need to go to a British source for the book. I'm also across the pond, and I ordered from our Amazon (if I remember correctly). For that matter, mine was considerably cheaper than list – with free shipping, I paid US $36 for my copy.

I could swear I didn't find the books on the american Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com, although I may have quit too soon. Are you talking about the "Chronicles of Conan" graphic novels? The books I've been trying to get are the similarly named "Chronicles of Conan", but are a collection of all of REH's stories. There's two volumes and they are by a british publisher.

Anonymous said:
InsomNY said:

I could swear I didn't find the books on the american Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com, although I may have quit too soon. Are you talking about the "Chronicles of Conan" graphic novels? The books I've been trying to get are the similarly named "Chronicles of Conan", but are a collection of all of REH's stories. There's two volumes and they are by a british publisher.

Uhhh ... just ignore me. I completely misread your initial post and my response has nothing to do with reality. :oops:

I bought the first book off the US Amazon when it first came out, waited for awhile and ended up having to buy the second volume off of alibris.com.

InsomNY said:
Uhhh ... just ignore me. I completely misread your initial post and my response has nothing to do with reality. :oops:

I suspected that - you thought we meant the rulebook, didn't you? :D

Situation with the UK books is Gollancz/Milleneum only have the rights fot the UK and the Commonwealth with their Fantasy Maseterworks series . However speciality bookshops in the US may be able to order specially , or you may find through Canadian sources . Both may be cheaper P&P wise but the books may be more expensive than from Amazon.

Might be worth looking at though.

Terry

Mayhem said:
InsomNY said:

I suspected that - you thought we meant the rulebook, didn't you? :D

I decline to answer. Fortunately for me, we Americans have this little thing called the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution, which protects us against self-incrimination. :wink:

I just picked up The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian at Borders last night- the fist of the two collected REH Conan books published by DelRey.

It Kicks All Kinds Of Ass.

It is illustrated by Mark Schultz- an artist who IMO really captures REH's vision of Conan without the years of muscle fetish art dictating how it should look...

For 15 buck, it struck me as a fantastic buy... I'd snag Vol 2 as soon as I saw it.

-B

Holy Crap! I just got my order from amazon.co.uk! I ordered it Sunday, right after I started this thread, and it was on my desk in my office when I came in this morning, which is Friday. Four days?! I don't get service that fast from barnesandnoble.com here in the states.

I take back any reservations I had about ordering across the Pond.

P.S. Bailywolf; I ordered the "Coming of the Cimmerian" a month ago. Ironically, it arrived on REH's birthday. It's awesome, and Schultz's illustrations are very good.

This is sort off the subject but I have the Conan series printed by Ace Science Ficrion and Bantam. Is it worth my money to buy these new compilations.

Solomon Kane said:
This is sort off the subject but I have the Conan series printed by Ace Science Ficrion and Bantam. Is it worth my money to buy these new compilations.

If you're fine with the massive alterations made to the stories by L Sprague de Camp, and the addition of stories by Lin Carter and Bjorn Nyberg as canon, then you don't need them.

However, if you'd like to read REH's words in as pure a form as possible, you should give the new books a try.

I couldn't get them off of B&M or Amazon either. I just order from AmazonUK instead. Note, by the way, that this little Fantasy Masterpieces line has some really cool titles in it. I order the two Fritz Leiber volumes as well as the two Conan volumes.

I believe that the unavailability of these Conan Chronicles has something to do with the Conan Chronicles being released here in the states that are collections of Robert Jordan stories. Bastards.

Back