Aliens of Charted Space: Volume 4: errata

CordwainerFish

Emperor Mongoose
* The Gurvin homeworld does not have a chapter. Is this intentional?
* p.1, table of contents: the second entry for High Guard of the Gurvin should refer instead to the Tezcat

p. 27 : 'flowers of bear fruit' huh? was it supposed to say 'flowers or bear fruit'?
but I got this image of floral gummy bears hanging from trees....

p. 40: 'By -9750, the Suerrat had established eight lunar colonies, five of which were mining settlements causing the lunar population had exceeded 10,000.' Hmm, How about: By -9750, the Suerrat had established eight lunar colonies, five of which were mining settlements, and the lunar population had exceeded 10,000,
p. 42: 'In -5470, the Suerrat sued for peace.' It should be, as noted on the timeline, -5370. Not even (insert inappropriate Simpsons reference to milk curd-consuming surrender primates') would surrender 80 years before the war started.
p. 42: 'Bernard system' Barnard system
p. 42: 'More conflicts took place over the next 2,000 years' 200
p. 45: 'When it did, in response to a demand for unconditional surrender in 435, the Imperium destroyed...' Yeah, I get the intent, but the way it reads the Imperium was responding to a demand for unconditional surrender, not issuing such a demand and getting a less than enthusiastic response. And then 'mandated the evacuation' - which implies that some surrender had already occurred and the fact that the evacuation happened indicates the Suerrat where complying with Imperial authority. Not tracking with me. Unless there was also a 'Snake Island moment' followed by a decapitation strike on the government, followed by the evacuation of the now cowed populace. But that piece is missing and it doesn't make a lot of sense as written.

but that's as far as I can read today.

Copying from the main book thread for ease:
- p.199: Aum-rhar system box missing T'chaia, nearest planetary neighbour
- p.220: Should say the Tezcat controlled 7 worlds in year 700.
- p.156: Says do not possess megacorps, but later talks ab. megacorps.
- T.O.C: High Guard of Tezcat says Gurvin
- p.228 Soulhunter Mustering says Dr not Cr
- Intro, Gurvin 2nd species discovered by Hivers
- Fix wording p. 46 - 736 or 737 (threat year)

Right! I've finished the Suerrat section of the book, so I thought I'd make a first post collecting my notes as of yet. Overall, before I start, I just want to extend my sincerest compliments to Darren Bulmer because the worldbuilding on this is just [Chef's Kiss], and I KNOW for a fact that most of what is in this section didn't exist before, so really, outstanding work!

I'll break this feedback post into four segments: overall typos/simple errors, followed by chronology/timeline errors (I would know...), and finally High Guard errors. After that, I have a brief section where I exert my capacity as an astronomer in training to point out some mild inconsistencies in the first part of the 'The Suerrat Homeworld' chapter. As usual, if I'm not fully sure something is a mistake, the entry will have a [?] beside it.

• [?] Page 6, 'Diet', 3rd paragraph: 'Simple broth is usually served next to cleanse the pallet, with a final course of sweets following the main meal.' - Surely 'palate' instead of 'pallet'?
  • Page 27, 'Native Lifeforms', 3rd paragraph: 'Plants on Ilelish do not produce flowers of bear fruit.' - Probably 'or' instead of 'of'. - Already solved (thanks, Geir!)
  • Page 32, 'Places and Events', Ne'aa'alu: 'Located deep in the Tete’imaser temporal forest, Ne’aa’alu became (...)' - based on the rest of the material, 99% sure this should be 'temperate forest', not 'temporal'.
  • Page 40, 2nd paragraph: 'By -9700, the Suerrat reached TL6.' - considering just across the page it states 'By -9700 the Suerrat had achieved TL8.', this date (-9700) is patently wrong, and TL6 is not high enough to allow for the solar panels they talk of. Based on the timeline on Page 46, this should read -9800.
  • Page 40, 'The Space Age', 1st paragraph: 'By -9750, the Suerrat had established eight lunar colonies, five of which were mining settlements causing the lunar population had exceeded 10,000.' - I'm pretty sure 'causing the lunar population had exceeded 10,000' isn't a grammatically correct sentence :p - Geir caught this one too.
  • [?] Page 41, 'To The Stars', 1st paragraph: 'The first two colonies, called ‘slowboats’ were already constructed and five more were in various stages of completion.' - surely 'The first two colony ships' instead of merely 'colonies'?
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The long series of wars collectively known as the Interstellar Wars began in -2404 when a Vilani trade convoy in the Bernard system was fired upon by Terrans for ignoring traffic control signals.' - The system is called 'Barnard', not Bernard - Geir strikes again...!
  • Page 61, 'RCPO Courier', ship description: 'Based on the tried and proven design of the Sulieman class scout/courier, (...)' - This is a propagating a typo made on High Guard 2022 forward into new materials; In the entirety of The Third Imperium (by Chris Griffen) the design is referred to as Suleiman, multiple times, whereas in High Guard 2022 (by Chris Griffen!) the name 'Sulieman' only appears once and is clearly a typo. Either way, the conundrum can be solved by simply asking Chris.

CHRONOLOGY
  • Page 42, 1st paragraph: 'In -5470, the Suerrat sued for peace and the Vilani demanded the dissolution of the federation and their absorption into the Vilani empire as a condition.' - Considering the conflict started in -5390, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have surrendered before it even begun. - Another one already caught by Geir!
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The long series of wars collectively known as the Interstellar Wars began in -2404 when a Vilani trade convoy in the Bernard system was fired upon by Terrans for ignoring traffic control signals.' - The incident at Barnard happened on -2408, not -2404 (See Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2, page 12; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3, pages 112 & 116; Solomani Front page 119).
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The resulting war was a small affair limited to only a few systems and ended in -2396 but the Terrans formed a unified government during this period.' - The Terran Confederation formed on -2398 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 page 12; Solomani Front pages 109 & 119; Trailing Frontier page 8)
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 3rd paragraph: 'More conflicts took place over the next 2,000 years as the Terrans chafed at the perception of being pinned down by the Vilani.' - 200 years, not 2000. - Geir is going to run me out of a job... :p
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 4th paragraph: 'In -2262 the Terrans defeated the Ziru Sirka soundly using advanced technology.' - The 9th Interstellar War ended in -2266 (see Solomani Front page 120) and the Nth Interstellar War(s) wouldn't begin until -2235 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2page 15), so this date makes no sense.
    • A good substitute date would be -2276, as in that year transpired the "Destruction of the Vilani Core Fleet. After having its supply lines cut by J-3 raiders, the Vilani Core Fleet is devastatingly defeated by the meson weapon-equipped, but numerically much smaller, Terran main fleet." (GURPS Traveller Rim of Fire, SJG, 2000, p. 49). As a rule I don't like quoting from non-Mongoose materials for Mongoose books, but this one is just a suggestion, so I think it's okay.
  • Page 43, 2nd paragraph: 'In -2215, the Ziru Sirka were no longer able to resist the continuous confrontations with the Terran Confederation and her allies and declared their surrender.' - The Vilani surrendered on -2219 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 Pg.15; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3 Pgs.116 & 241; Pirates of Drinax: The Trojan Reach Pg. 212)
  • Page 44, 1st paragraph: 'Unknown to the Suerrat, two sectors away in the Core, Cleon I founded the Third Imperium and took the Iridium Throne. With strong leadership the Imperium grew rapidly and in -70, first contact was made with the Suerrat Republic. The representatives of the Third Imperium came bearing gifts and promising more if the Suerrat would join them.' - How can the Imperium make contact with the Suerrat *before* it was founded? In any case, from the text and timeline tables, this should read '70'.
  • [Actually just pedantry and not really a note per see] Page 44, 'The Third Imperium', 2nd paragraph: - 'In 81, the Third Imperium founded the Ilelish Domain and launched a pacification campaign to bring the Republic into its fold.' - Technically, the correct terminology would be "Domain of Ilelish".
  • Pages 46 & 47, 'Timeline':There are a series of inconsistencies between the timeline and the text itself, with mismatching dates for events. I've done my best to try and catch them all, but I might have missed some and an actual double-check might be in order:
    • -259500: 'Migukas domesticated' - From the text, page 38: 'By -260000, some aginkam adapt to the presence of the Suerrat (...). Over the next 5,000 years, the aginkam which live alongside the Suerrat diverge from their wild ancestors into the domesticated migukas.' -260000 + 5000 = -255000, therefore inconsistent.
    • -24000: 'Agriculture is developed' - This is in direct and explicit contradiction to page 38, which states: 'Agriculture develops around -28000. Agriculture is first restricted to simply collecting the seeds (...)'.
    • [?] -15000: 'Settled farming began' - There is no inconsistency here per see, but considering that (page 38) 'Around -18000 the Suerrat learn to mill seeds and spores to create flours, from which bread could be made.', the invention of flour before settled agriculture gave me pause. It might be entirely possible, I genuinely do not know, but I'm bringing it up because better safe than sorry.
    • -9590: 'Second slowboat launched towards Dilipuu.' - Not only is this entry in the past with the entries before it, the text on page 41 implies that both of the slowboats to Dilipuu and Eritlep were launched at the same time.
    • -4015: 'Consolidation Wars end.' - The Consolidation Wars ended on -4045, not -4015 (see Aliens of Charted Space, Vol. 3 page 241)
    • -2404: 'The Interstellar Wars era begins' - As previously pointed out, the Interstellar Wars begin on -2048 (See Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2, page 12; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3, pages 112 & 116; Solomani Front page 119).
    • -2273: 'Ninth Interstellar War begins' - While I cannot point to a Mongoose source with the start date of the Ninth Interstellar War, both GURPS Rim of Fire and Interstellar Wars agree that it started on -2277.

HIGH GUARD

It seems like the ships featured in this book were built with the original High Guard, not High Guard 2022 Update. Thankfully, for all but the Burden Container Ship, fixes are relatively easy and straight-forward.
  • RCPO Courier:
    • Armour: Armour should be 6 tons and and cost MCr1.2 as per the revised armour rules in High Guard 2022. (The standard 5 tons, multiplied by 1.2 due to the Aerodynamic-type hull; MCr0.2 per ton of armour.)
    • M-Drive: The M-Drive should cost MCr10, not 6; The base cost of an M-Drive is MCr2 per ton, but due to being Very Advanced (2x Size Reduction), the base price is increased by +25%. Please note following paragraph from Page 71 of High Guard 2022: 'Make sure to only recalculate per the description. For example, when an Advantage or Disadvantage increases or decreases the size of a component, calculate the modified price based on the original size of the item, not the modified size.'
    • Bridge: The price of the Bridge should be MCr0.625, not 0.63 (yes, I will penny-pinch and you cannot stop me)
    • Craft: Docking Space (4 tons) should be 5 tons, not 4.4 (HG2022, Pg.61: 'Docking space consumes an amount of tonnage equal to that of the largest ship to be docked, plus 10% (round up to the nearest ton).') and therefore cost MCr1.25.
    • Systems: 2 tons of Fuel Scoops should cost MCr0.1, not 1 (HG2022, Pg.49: MCr0.05 per ton)
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, final cargo capacity is 0.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr59.375; consequently, Purchase Cost is also MCr59.375 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr4453/month
    • Power Requirements: Basic Ship Systems should consumed 20 power, not 40.
  • SRSF Customs Cutter:
    • Armour: Armour should be 36 tons and MCr7.2, for the same reasons outlined for the RCPO Courier.
    • Fuel Tanks: Fuel should be 66 tons; 60 for the jump drive (300*0.2=60) and the power plant '(...) require fuel tankage equal to 10% of their size (rounding up, minimum 1 ton) per month of operation. This provides enough fuel for the power plant for a month (four weeks). This can be extended further by increasing the fuel tankage for the power plant (so, doubling it will provides twice the number of weeks and so on)." and therefore we first calculate the base fuel amount 21 * 0.1 = 2.1; rounded up to 3 and then multiply by 2, yielding 6 tons of fuel.
    • Bridge: Bridge should cost MCr1.875, not 1.88.
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 28 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr142.625; consequently, the Purchase Cost is also MCr142.625 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr11885/month
    • Crew: As a military ship, the crew should formally be Captain x1, Pilots x3, Astrogator x1, Engineer x1, Gunner x6, Maintenance x1, Officer x1, and the 5 specified Ship's Troops. Gunners can be ommitted by claiming other crewmembers take up those positions during fights, so the final readup should be: 'Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineer, Officer, Marines x5'.
  • SRSF Patrol Corvette:
    • Armour: Armour should be 38.4 tons and MCr19.2, for the same reasons outlined for the RCPO Courier.
    • J-Drive: J-Drive should be 42.5 tons, not 42. J-3 drive takes up Hull Tonnage * 0.075 + 5, so for this ship 37.5 + 5.
    • Bridge: Bridge should cost MCr3.125, not 3.13.
    • Ammunition: The Missile Storage should not cost anything; the price of the ammunition does not add to the price of the ship, according to the convention established by High Guard 2022. Also, for the love of god, make it a clean multiple of 12, I beg you... why does it come up to 8.33333333... tons lord, the pain-
    • Craft: Docking Space should cost MCr5.5, not 5. A Gig costs MCr6.88, not MCr15.9. (Incidentally, the Purchase Price for the Gig on Pg. 219 of the Core Rulebook Update (Jun23) is incorrect.
    • Systems:
      • Brig: The Brig should cost MCr0.25, not 0.5
      • Deep Penetration Suite: This entry should read 'Deep Penetration Scanners (200 tons/hr)' following the new High Guard 2022 convention.
      • Fuel Processor: The processor should cost MCr0.8, not 8.
    • Staterooms: The Staterooms should cost MCr0.75, not 0.8
    • Software: Jump Control/2 should actually be Jump Control/3 and cost MCr0.3
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 31.8
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr306.855; consequently, the Purchase Cost is also MCr306.855 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr25571/month
    • Crew: As a military ship, the crew should formally be Captain x1, Pilots x3, Astrogator x1, Engineers x2, Maintenance x1, Gunners x10, Gig Pilot x1, Officer x1. The final readup should be: 'Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineers x2, Maintenance, Gunners x10, Gig Pilot, Officer'.
    • Power Requirements: Sensors should take up 18 power, not 9. (Advanced Sensors consume 6 + 1 per ton of Deep Penetration Scanner + 2 from Enhanced Signal Processing = 18 Power)
    • Deckplans: For the same reason outlined above in "Systems", entry '13. Deep Penetration Suite' needs to be renamed to '13. Deep Penetration Scanner'.
  • Burden Container Ship:
    • M-Drive: To be able to pull the ship plus modules (1240 + 2100 = 3340 tons) at Thrust 1, the ship requires 33.4 tons of Manoeuvre Drives, not 31.8;
    • J-Drive: To be able to achieve J-2 with the ship plus modules (1240 + 2100 = 3340 tons), the ship requires 3340 * 0.05 + 5 = 172 tons of Jump Drive, not 164.
    • Fuel Tanks: For the reasons already mentioned in the SRSF Customs Cutter fuel tank section, the fuel for this ship should come up to 682 tons.
    • Craft: Docking Space should take up 110 tons, not 117.7
    • ILLEGAL DESIGN: All of the above already makes it impossible to fit everything within the hull (we come up to -28.4 tons). This ship needs some mild redesigning.

ASTRONOMY SHENNANIGANS:

Because the orbital period and orbital radius for Ilelish's moon Komboko are given on page 24, it is possible to calculate Ilelish's mass as Primary Mass = (4 * π² * radius³)/(Gravitational Constant * Orbital Period²). Ilelish's mass comes up to ~0.44874535137026788645 M⨁.
As we also know its diameter from the same page (9172 km) and therefore its radius (4586 km), we can calculate its surface gravity using the formula Gravitational Acceleration = (Gravitational Constant * Primary Mass)/(Radius²) which yields a value of 8.505 m/s² ≃ 0.866 G.
Therefore, the line 'The iron ore also lends considerable density to the planet, Ilelish has a gravity of 0.75G.' on Page 24, 'Geography and Topography', 1st paragraph should be changed to 'The iron core also lends considerable density to the planet, Ilelish has a gravity of 0.866G.' (There's also the typo where "ore" should actually be core).

With all that done, again let me reiterate that I've found this book to be nothing short of phenomenal so far, and that the above don't detract from that in any way!
As I keep progressing through the other species in the book, I'll be posting similar updates to this, as is now tradition.

Last edited:
Right! I've finished the Suerrat section of the book, so I thought I'd make a first post collecting my notes as of yet. Overall, before I start, I just want to extend my sincerest compliments to Darren Bulmer because the worldbuilding on this is just [Chef's Kiss], and I KNOW for a fact that most of what is in this section didn't exist before, so really, outstanding work!

I'll break this feedback post into four segments: overall typos/simple errors, followed by chronology/timeline errors (I would know...), and finally High Guard errors. After that, I have a brief section where I exert my capacity as an astronomer in training to point out some mild inconsistencies in the first part of the 'The Suerrat Homeworld' chapter. As usual, if I'm not fully sure something is a mistake, the entry will have a [?] beside it.

• [?] Page 6, 'Diet', 3rd paragraph: 'Simple broth is usually served next to cleanse the pallet, with a final course of sweets following the main meal.' - Surely 'palate' instead of 'pallet'?
  • Page 27, 'Native Lifeforms', 3rd paragraph: 'Plants on Ilelish do not produce flowers of bear fruit.' - Probably 'or' instead of 'of'. - Already solved (thanks, Geir!)
  • Page 32, 'Places and Events', Ne'aa'alu: 'Located deep in the Tete’imaser temporal forest, Ne’aa’alu became (...)' - based on the rest of the material, 99% sure this should be 'temperate forest', not 'temporal'.
  • Page 40, 2nd paragraph: 'By -9700, the Suerrat reached TL6.' - considering just across the page it states 'By -9700 the Suerrat had achieved TL8.', this date (-9700) is patently wrong, and TL6 is not high enough to allow for the solar panels they talk of. Based on the timeline on Page 46, this should read -9800.
  • Page 40, 'The Space Age', 1st paragraph: 'By -9750, the Suerrat had established eight lunar colonies, five of which were mining settlements causing the lunar population had exceeded 10,000.' - I'm pretty sure 'causing the lunar population had exceeded 10,000' isn't a grammatically correct sentence :p - Geir caught this one too.
  • [?] Page 41, 'To The Stars', 1st paragraph: 'The first two colonies, called ‘slowboats’ were already constructed and five more were in various stages of completion.' - surely 'The first two colony ships' instead of merely 'colonies'?
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The long series of wars collectively known as the Interstellar Wars began in -2404 when a Vilani trade convoy in the Bernard system was fired upon by Terrans for ignoring traffic control signals.' - The system is called 'Barnard', not Bernard - Geir strikes again...!
  • Page 61, 'RCPO Courier', ship description: 'Based on the tried and proven design of the Sulieman class scout/courier, (...)' - This is a propagating a typo made on High Guard 2022 forward into new materials; In the entirety of The Third Imperium (by Chris Griffen) the design is referred to as Suleiman, multiple times, whereas in High Guard 2022 (by Chris Griffen!) the name 'Sulieman' only appears once and is clearly a typo. Either way, the conundrum can be solved by simply asking Chris.

CHRONOLOGY
  • Page 42, 1st paragraph: 'In -5470, the Suerrat sued for peace and the Vilani demanded the dissolution of the federation and their absorption into the Vilani empire as a condition.' - Considering the conflict started in -5390, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have surrendered before it even begun. - Another one already caught by Geir!
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The long series of wars collectively known as the Interstellar Wars began in -2404 when a Vilani trade convoy in the Bernard system was fired upon by Terrans for ignoring traffic control signals.' - The incident at Barnard happened on -2408, not -2404 (See Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2, page 12; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3, pages 112 & 116; Solomani Front page 119).
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 1st paragraph: 'The resulting war was a small affair limited to only a few systems and ended in -2396 but the Terrans formed a unified government during this period.' - The Terran Confederation formed on -2398 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 page 12; Solomani Front pages 109 & 119; Trailing Frontier page 8)
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 3rd paragraph: 'More conflicts took place over the next 2,000 years as the Terrans chafed at the perception of being pinned down by the Vilani.' - 200 years, not 2000. - Geir is going to run me out of a job... :p
  • Page 42, 'The Interstellar Wars', 4th paragraph: 'In -2262 the Terrans defeated the Ziru Sirka soundly using advanced technology.' - The 9th Interstellar War ended in -2266 (see Solomani Front page 120) and the Nth Interstellar War(s) wouldn't begin until -2235 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2page 15), so this date makes no sense.
    • A good substitute date would be -2276, as in that year transpired the "Destruction of the Vilani Core Fleet. After having its supply lines cut by J-3 raiders, the Vilani Core Fleet is devastatingly defeated by the meson weapon-equipped, but numerically much smaller, Terran main fleet." (GURPS Traveller Rim of Fire, SJG, 2000, p. 49). As a rule I don't like quoting from non-Mongoose materials for Mongoose books, but this one is just a suggestion, so I think it's okay.
  • Page 43, 2nd paragraph: 'In -2215, the Ziru Sirka were no longer able to resist the continuous confrontations with the Terran Confederation and her allies and declared their surrender.' - The Vilani surrendered on -2219 (see Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 Pg.15; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3 Pgs.116 & 241; Pirates of Drinax: The Trojan Reach Pg. 212)
  • Page 44, 1st paragraph: 'Unknown to the Suerrat, two sectors away in the Core, Cleon I founded the Third Imperium and took the Iridium Throne. With strong leadership the Imperium grew rapidly and in -70, first contact was made with the Suerrat Republic. The representatives of the Third Imperium came bearing gifts and promising more if the Suerrat would join them.' - How can the Imperium make contact with the Suerrat *before* it was founded? In any case, from the text and timeline tables, this should read '70'.
  • [Actually just pedantry and not really a note per see] Page 44, 'The Third Imperium', 2nd paragraph: - 'In 81, the Third Imperium founded the Ilelish Domain and launched a pacification campaign to bring the Republic into its fold.' - Technically, the correct terminology would be "Domain of Ilelish".
  • Pages 46 & 47, 'Timeline':There are a series of inconsistencies between the timeline and the text itself, with mismatching dates for events. I've done my best to try and catch them all, but I might have missed some and an actual double-check might be in order:
    • -259500: 'Migukas domesticated' - From the text, page 38: 'By -260000, some aginkam adapt to the presence of the Suerrat (...). Over the next 5,000 years, the aginkam which live alongside the Suerrat diverge from their wild ancestors into the domesticated migukas.' -260000 + 5000 = -255000, therefore inconsistent.
    • -24000: 'Agriculture is developed' - This is in direct and explicit contradiction to page 38, which states: 'Agriculture develops around -28000. Agriculture is first restricted to simply collecting the seeds (...)'.
    • [?] -15000: 'Settled farming began' - There is no inconsistency here per see, but considering that (page 38) 'Around -18000 the Suerrat learn to mill seeds and spores to create flours, from which bread could be made.', the invention of flour before settled agriculture gave me pause. It might be entirely possible, I genuinely do not know, but I'm bringing it up because better safe than sorry.
    • -9590: 'Second slowboat launched towards Dilipuu.' - Not only is this entry in the past with the entries before it, the text on page 41 implies that both of the slowboats to Dilipuu and Eritlep were launched at the same time.
    • -4015: 'Consolidation Wars end.' - The Consolidation Wars ended on -4045, not -4015 (see Aliens of Charted Space, Vol. 3 page 241)
    • -2404: 'The Interstellar Wars era begins' - As previously pointed out, the Interstellar Wars begin on -2048 (See Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2, page 12; Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 3, pages 112 & 116; Solomani Front page 119).
    • -2273: 'Ninth Interstellar War begins' - While I cannot point to a Mongoose source with the start date of the Ninth Interstellar War, both GURPS Rim of Fire and Interstellar Wars agree that it started on -2277.

HIGH GUARD

It seems like the ships featured in this book were built with the original High Guard, not High Guard 2022 Update. Thankfully, for all but the Burden Container Ship, fixes are relatively easy and straight-forward.
  • RCPO Courier:
    • Armour: Armour should be 6 tons and and cost MCr1.2 as per the revised armour rules in High Guard 2022. (The standard 5 tons, multiplied by 1.2 due to the Aerodynamic-type hull; MCr0.2 per ton of armour.)
    • M-Drive: The M-Drive should cost MCr10, not 6; The base cost of an M-Drive is MCr2 per ton, but due to being Very Advanced (2x Size Reduction), the base price is increased by +25%. Please note following paragraph from Page 71 of High Guard 2022: 'Make sure to only recalculate per the description. For example, when an Advantage or Disadvantage increases or decreases the size of a component, calculate the modified price based on the original size of the item, not the modified size.'
    • Bridge: The price of the Bridge should be MCr0.625, not 0.63 (yes, I will penny-pinch and you cannot stop me)
    • Craft: Docking Space (4 tons) should be 5 tons, not 4.4 (HG2022, Pg.61: 'Docking space consumes an amount of tonnage equal to that of the largest ship to be docked, plus 10% (round up to the nearest ton).') and therefore cost MCr1.25.
    • Systems: 2 tons of Fuel Scoops should cost MCr0.1, not 1 (HG2022, Pg.49: MCr0.05 per ton)
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, final cargo capacity is 0.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr59.375; consequently, Purchase Cost is also MCr59.375 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr4453/month
    • Power Requirements: Basic Ship Systems should consumed 20 power, not 40.
  • SRSF Customs Cutter:
    • Armour: Armour should be 36 tons and MCr7.2, for the same reasons outlined for the RCPO Courier.
    • Fuel Tanks: Fuel should be 66 tons; 60 for the jump drive (300*0.2=60) and the power plant '(...) require fuel tankage equal to 10% of their size (rounding up, minimum 1 ton) per month of operation. This provides enough fuel for the power plant for a month (four weeks). This can be extended further by increasing the fuel tankage for the power plant (so, doubling it will provides twice the number of weeks and so on)." and therefore we first calculate the base fuel amount 21 * 0.1 = 2.1; rounded up to 3 and then multiply by 2, yielding 6 tons of fuel.
    • Bridge: Bridge should cost MCr1.875, not 1.88.
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 28 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr142.625; consequently, the Purchase Cost is also MCr142.625 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr11885/month
    • Crew: As a military ship, the crew should formally be Captain x1, Pilots x3, Astrogator x1, Engineer x1, Gunner x6, Maintenance x1, Officer x1, and the 5 specified Ship's Troops. Gunners can be ommitted by claiming other crewmembers take up those positions during fights, so the final readup should be: 'Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineer, Officer, Marines x5'.
  • SRSF Patrol Corvette:
    • Armour: Armour should be 38.4 tons and MCr19.2, for the same reasons outlined for the RCPO Courier.
    • J-Drive: J-Drive should be 42.5 tons, not 42. J-3 drive takes up Hull Tonnage * 0.075 + 5, so for this ship 37.5 + 5.
    • Bridge: Bridge should cost MCr3.125, not 3.13.
    • Ammunition: The Missile Storage should not cost anything; the price of the ammunition does not add to the price of the ship, according to the convention established by High Guard 2022. Also, for the love of god, make it a clean multiple of 12, I beg you... why does it come up to 8.33333333... tons lord, the pain-
    • Craft: Docking Space should cost MCr5.5, not 5. A Gig costs MCr6.88, not MCr15.9. (Incidentally, the Purchase Price for the Gig on Pg. 219 of the Core Rulebook Update (Jun23) is incorrect.
    • Systems:
      • Brig: The Brig should cost MCr0.25, not 0.5
      • Deep Penetration Suite: This entry should read 'Deep Penetration Scanners (200 tons/hr)' following the new High Guard 2022 convention.
      • Fuel Processor: The processor should cost MCr0.8, not 8.
    • Staterooms: The Staterooms should cost MCr0.75, not 0.8
    • Software: Jump Control/2 should actually be Jump Control/3 and cost MCr0.3
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 31.8
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, the ship's total price is MCr306.855; consequently, the Purchase Cost is also MCr306.855 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr25571/month
    • Crew: As a military ship, the crew should formally be Captain x1, Pilots x3, Astrogator x1, Engineers x2, Maintenance x1, Gunners x10, Gig Pilot x1, Officer x1. The final readup should be: 'Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineers x2, Maintenance, Gunners x10, Gig Pilot, Officer'.
    • Power Requirements: Sensors should take up 18 power, not 9. (Advanced Sensors consume 6 + 1 per ton of Deep Penetration Scanner + 2 from Enhanced Signal Processing = 18 Power)
    • Deckplans: For the same reason outlined above in "Systems", entry '13. Deep Penetration Suite' needs to be renamed to '13. Deep Penetration Scanner'.
  • Burden Container Ship:
    • M-Drive: To be able to pull the ship plus modules (1240 + 2100 = 3340 tons) at Thrust 1, the ship requires 33.4 tons of Manoeuvre Drives, not 31.8;
    • J-Drive: To be able to achieve J-2 with the ship plus modules (1240 + 2100 = 3340 tons), the ship requires 3340 * 0.05 + 5 = 172 tons of Jump Drive, not 164.
    • Fuel Tanks: For the reasons already mentioned in the SRSF Customs Cutter fuel tank section, the fuel for this ship should come up to 682 tons.
    • Craft: Docking Space should take up 110 tons, not 117.7
    • ILLEGAL DESIGN: All of the above already makes it impossible to fit everything within the hull (we come up to -28.4 tons). This ship needs some mild redesigning.

ASTRONOMY SHENNANIGANS:

Because the orbital period and orbital radius for Ilelish's moon Komboko are given on page 24, it is possible to calculate Ilelish's mass as Primary Mass = (4 * π² * radius³)/(Gravitational Constant * Orbital Period²). Ilelish's mass comes up to ~0.44874535137026788645 M⨁.
As we also know its diameter from the same page (9172 km) and therefore its radius (4586 km), we can calculate its surface gravity using the formula Gravitational Acceleration = (Gravitational Constant * Primary Mass)/(Radius²) which yields a value of 8.505 m/s² ≃ 0.866 G.
Therefore, the line 'The iron ore also lends considerable density to the planet, Ilelish has a gravity of 0.75G.' on Page 24, 'Geography and Topography', 1st paragraph should be changed to 'The iron core also lends considerable density to the planet, Ilelish has a gravity of 0.866G.' (There's also the typo where "ore" should actually be core).

With all that done, again let me reiterate that I've found this book to be nothing short of phenomenal so far, and that the above don't detract from that in any way!
As I keep progressing through the other species in the book, I'll be posting similar updates to this, as is now tradition.
We appreciate you :) I'll pass these along tomorrow

Only done a quick flick through so far

P116 & 117 no damage dice for any of the Kaath weapons and grenades just Stun trait and Blast for grenades
This has been a head scratcher. Is it a typo or just a weird ill explained mechanic? With how mongoose 2e works, there no straightforward means to use none damaging weapons. To me it means that its a one hit ko.
But then its been brought up, how does it interact with armor.

This has been a head scratcher. Is it a typo or just a weird ill explained mechanic? With how mongoose 2e works, there no straightforward means to use none damaging weapons. To me it means that its a one hit ko.
But then its been brought up, how does it interact with armor.
I've added stats to them :)

This has been a head scratcher. Is it a typo or just a weird ill explained mechanic? With how mongoose 2e works, there no straightforward means to use none damaging weapons.
You can have weapons with the stun trait (Weapon Traits, CRB 2016, p75) also there are rules for hand to hand combat (Grappling, p74-75). Not sure how to knock someone out using hand to hand combat. According to (Damage, p74) if you reduce your opponents END to 0 and either STR or DEX to 0, the opponent becomes unconscious. In (Melee Weapons, p116) there is the stunstick weapon.

Are the old population numbers upheld? The Suerrat have previously been stated to be more than half of the sector population.

Took me a bit long, but I've gone through the Za'tachk chapters of the book now. As with the last time, I'll break down the feedback in different segments: overall typos/simple errors, the High Guard section, and finally Astronomical stuff.

As usual, if I'm not sure an entry is a mistake or not, it will have a [?] beside it.

• Page 71, 1st paragraph: "highly beneficial train when the Z'tachk (...)" - a highly beneficial trait, not train.
  • Page 77, 'Pacifism', 3rd paragraph: "(...) Za'tachk will use whatever means necessary to illuminate the source of danger (...)" - Eliminate, not illuminate.
  • Page 77, 'Beliefs', 3rd paragraph: "To raise the ritual with Za'tachk is in poor taste but deeply offensive." - Surely 'and' instead of 'but', or perhaps it should say 'is not only in poor taste'?
  • Page 78, 7th paragraph: "The are the Za'tachk that aliens most often interact with the most." - This sentence brought to you by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy :p
  • Page 83, 'Language', 2nd paragraph: "Midinomen are comprised of two syllables of three letters each, such as Dyblos, Vaton and Toroce." - The name 'Vaton' does not obey the very rules it is meant to exemplify.
  • Page 83, 'Language', 2nd paragraph: "The praenomen and the midinomen are always separated by a comma, (...)" - if you look at the actual names (E.g.: Col’Sanrut-Pahablan) you'll see the praenomen and midinomen are separated by an apostrophe, not a comma.
  • [?] Page 84, 'Geography and Topography', 4th paragraph: "A large desert exists where the sun is directly overhead and is not survivable without consideration of protection." - Surely 'without considerable protection'...?
  • Page 84, 'Geography and Topography', 4th paragraph: "The hot winds from the dayside cool and release their moister, filling rivers, streams and oceans, allowing free-flowing water." - surely 'moisture' and not 'moister'?
  • [?] Page 85, 'Native Lifeforms', 2nd paragraph: "Offspring brought about through the mating of all three genders are longer lived and less resistant to disease than those resulting from only two parents." - Is this really correct? Less resistant, not more? The way this sentence is structured it seems like it would state so.
  • Page 88, 1st paragraph: "Above the cone are two thick rings, one inside the other, attacked to the cone by a central cylinder and four heavy struts, where spaceship dock." - Attached, not 'attacked'.
  • Page 88, 1st paragraph: "Each dock has linkage apparatus for passengers and crew to depart of alight on the ship." - Probably 'arrive'? I'm not certain, but certainly not 'alight on the ship', that's for sure.
  • Page 92, 'Droosen', 3rd paragraph: "Their teeth are very small and produce a little bite." - This is in direct contradiction with the rest of the text, which states explicitly that 'Several anatomical developments have not occurred in the vertebrates on Loza’tch. Teeth have not developed; instead, bony plates resembling a beak are found in the mouth.' (Page 87).
  • Page 96, 'The Great Plague', 3rd paragraph: "Unfortunately, the civilisation of Sazkchlarctck collapsed in -104100." - The timeline on page 99 gives this as -31900, which, considering the aforementioned plagued begun on -34100, seems to make a wee bit more sense.
  • Page 96, 'First Contact', 2nd paragraph: "Further examinations of the natives revealed had no cities or other centres of civilisation." - bit of a weird phrase, 'revealed had no cities'.
  • Page 100, 1st paragraph: "The majority of the population within the Alignment is Za'tachk, although people of all the major Hive Federations live and work there as well.' - this sentence should probably state something along the lines of 'all the major Hive Federation species live and work there as well', considering there is just the one Hiver Federation.
  • Page 102, 'Army Organisation', 2nd paragraph: "Promotion and candidate exams can be sat as manyt times as an individual desires but no more frequently than once a term." - that 'many' seems to have an extraneous 't' in it.
  • Page 106, 'Titles', 1st paragraph: "Za'tachk do not have a system of heredity nobility but certain honorifics exist (...)" - Hereditary nobility, not heredity nobility.
  • Page 107, 'Za'tachk Life Events': "The life events of the Za'tachk are simar to those of humans." - Similar, not 'simar'.
  • Page 113, 'Robots', 2nd paragraph: "Robots often have four limbs they can walk on or use to manipulate objects interchangeably, with sensors and vodars located collectively at the front." - Voders (from "Voice Encoder"), with an e, not 'vodar'.
  • Page 114, 'Anaroth Heavy Infantry Drone': "The heavy infantry drone is named after another native animal form from Ilelish – a heavy, short-tempered herbivore." - woops, wrong planet guys; not Ilelish, but Loza'tch.

ROBOT SECTION

I decided to try and double-check to see if the Robot designs are valid/legal, but given I've only recently acquired the Robot Handbook, I don't feel like I have enough familiarity with the procedure to try and do it myself.
If some other member of the community more familiarised with those rules than I could double-check them instead, I would be grateful.

HIGH GUARD

This section suffer from the same basic issues as the Suerrat section; Mr. Bulmer seems to still be using the old High Guard rules when making ships. I strongly recommend Mongoose give the man at least a PDF copy of the High Guard 2022 Update going into the future - or really, give a copy of the PDF to anyone who's supposed to be writing a sourcebook with a High Guard section in it.

With that out of the way, I need to talk about the small craft designs in the High Guard of the Za'tachk chapter.
I like to believe the I am thoroughly familiarised with the ship construction rules, but even then it took me a fair amount of effort to figure out what was going on with these designs, in particular their usage of an 'Advanced Control Interface' and 'Actuation System'. I searched HG2022 up and down for it and failed to find any mention of it. I searched the old High Guard, and failed to find any mention of it.
I then decided to check the Robot Handbook (thank Strephon I'd bought it recently) and finally found a mention of the Advanced Control Interface - which, I feel the need to add, is mis-priced in Aliens Vol.4, it should cost MCr0.004 (Robot Handbook, Pg. 79), not 0.05 - and even then, I'm not sure how applicable they are here because, quoth the Robot Handbook: "Vehicle-sized drones do not require a drone interface but in addition to a transceiver, the vehicle requires an actuation system as described on pages 67–68 of the Vehicle Handbook. The actuation system requires one Space for every 20 Spaces of the vehicle (but none for vehicles smaller than 20 Spaces) and costs Cr1000 per Space of the system."
So by having an Actuation System, then it probably doesn't need to have the Advanced Control Interface in the first place.

Furthermore, while the application of a Vehicle component to a starship is... unorthodox, but creative and commendable usage of the rules, I find it less commendable that at no point in the preceding text section of High Guard of the Za'tachk is there an explanation of what the Actuation System even is or why it is there or how it works, which, considering someone who is as familiar with the ship rules is was thrown for a loop...
I'm not sure if the page can have its layout changed by now, but at least a brief text box saying "you can find more about the Actuation System on the Vehicle Handbook" would already go a long way to addressing this oversight.

Now, big rambly text wall aside (I don't like writing them because they come across as a bit negative, and I don't like doing that :(), onto the rest of High Guard; I have only as of yet revised the non-drone designs that did not have the Actuation System funkiness, because I was unsure of what that was or how it worked at the time:
  • Uft Lifeboat:
    • Hull: Radiation shielding should cost MCr0.125, not MCr0.13.
    • Armour: The armour in this design should take up 0.3 tons, not 0.4; Crystaliron takes up 1.25% of the ship's tonnage per point, which due to being an Aerodynamic hull, is multiplied by 1.2. As a 5 ton design, the lifeboat has a further x4 armour tonnage multiplier (HG2022 Pg.13), for a total of 5 * 0.0125 1.2 * 4 = 0.3 tons. The price of MCr0.06 is correct.
    • M-Drive: The manoeuvre drive should take up 0.05 tons, not 0.1. A Manoeuvre 1 drive takes up 1% of total hull volume; 5* 0.01 = 0.05 tons. The price of MCr0.1 is correct.
    • Computer: The computer should cost MCr0.045, not MCr0.05.
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 0.3 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr1.76; Consequently, Purchase Cost is also MCr1.76 and maintenance cost is now Cr146.666... (round up to Cr146.7/month).
  • Nootrook Mechant:
    • Hull: The hull reinforcement should cost MCr30, not 90.
    • Armour: Armour should take up 180 tons, not 150, and cost MCr36, not 150.
    • Weapons: The 2 double turrets (beam lasers) should cost MCr3, not 2.
    • Craft: The Docking Space should take up 6 tons, not 5.5, and cost MCr1.5; The Lifeboat, assuming it is an Uft Lifeboat, should cost MCr1.76, as seen above.
    • Systems:
      • The Medical Bay should have a tonnage of 4 tons, not 1, and cost MCr2, not 4.
      • The Cargo Crane should have a tonnage of 3.5 tons, not 6, and cost MCr3.5, not 6.
  • Cargo:Due to the above corrections, cargo should be 320.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr415.7933; Consequently, Purchase Cost is also MCr415.7933 and maintenance cost is now Cr34649/month.
    • Crew: Due to a total of 168 tons of drive+powerplant, the design need four Engineers, not three. Similarly, due to totalling 1000 tons, the design needs one Mechanic, for a total crew complement of: Pilot, Astrogator, Engineers x4, Maintenance, Gunners x2.
  • Blodra Patrol Corvette:
    • Armour: Armour should take up 180 tons, not 150, and cost MCr36, not 150.
    • J-Drive: Jump Drive should cost MCr82.5, not 82.
    • Backup Power Plant: The plant should cost MCr32, not 30.
    • Fuel Tanks: The fuel tanks for the power plant should take up 16 tons, not 15, for a total tankage of (J2 + Power Plant) 216 tons.
    • Computer: A TL12 vessel cannot have a Computer/30 (a TL14 component). Considering the Backup is a /15, the main Computer should probably be a Computer/20fib for a price of MCr7.5
    • Weapons: The type of Point Defence (laser vs gauss) is not specified. Furthermore, Type III point defence is only available for TL14 or above; Therefore this should be Point Defence Laser Batteries (Type II) x5, for 100 tons and MCr50. The ship's description on Page 133 will also require altering to reflect the change from Type III to Type II.
    • Craft: The entries in the sections should be as follows:
      • Docking Spaces (5 tons) x318 tonsMCr4.5
        Uft Lifeboats x3MCr5.28
        Docking Space (40 tons)44 tonsMCr11
        Agupon Pinnace DroneMCr20.808*
      • *(Obs.: Because I haven't double-checked the design of the Drones, this might need further alteration down the line)
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 20.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr642.5299; Consequently, Purchase Cost is also MCr642.5299 and maintenance cost is now Cr53544/month.
    • Crew: Taking into account the Za'tachk unique requirement for three Captains and the complement of 6 STOG drone jockeys, the crew complement should be Captains x3, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineers x7, Maintenance x2, Gunners x10, Administrator, Sensops x3, Officers x2, STOG x6 for a total crew of 38.
    • Power Requirements:
      • Manoeuvre Drive requires 500 power (Thrust 5, not 3)
      • Weapons require 105 power, not 155 (5 from the missile racks, 100 from the Type II PD)
  • Blarwir-Class Destroyer:
    • Armour: Armour should take up 672 tons, not 560, and cost MCr336, not 560.
    • M-Drive: M-Drive should take up 250 tons, not 200, and cost MCr500, not 400.
    • Fuel Tanks: The Power Plant would require 38 tons of fuel per 4 week period, so 76 for 8 weeks; total fuel tankage should be 1578 tons.
    • Weapons: The Triple Turrets (beam lasers, high yield, intense focus) should total to MCr32.5, not 32.
    • Ammunition: Neither of the entries should have an associated cost; Torpedo Storage (60 torpedoes) should take up 20 tons, not 19.8.
    • Craft:
      • Docking Space (5.5 tons) should be Docking Space (5 tons) x13 78 tons MCr19.5
      • Life Boats should be Uft Lifeboats x13 for a total cost of MCr22.88
    • Accomodation: The price for 66 Staterooms should be MCr33, not 330.
    • Cargo: Due to the above corrections, cargo should be -13.66666666666... tons, therefore making this design as it currently is illegal.
  • Loza'tch-Class Carrier:
    • This design, too, has issues, but due to relying heavily on the parasite drone-craft that I didn't check, I decided not to go through the design in order to expedite this post going out.

ASTRONOMICAL STUFF:

From Page 84, where both the orbital radius and orbital period of Loza'tch are given, we can calculate the mass of its primary... which comes to nearly 7 Solar Masses. This is patently, incongruently wrong; a K2V star has a mass of no more than 0.9 Solar Masses.
The orbitral radius of 0.55 AU is congruent for a star of that class (about 0.3 solar luminosities), therefore the orbital period requires changing. Using generic numbers (star mass of 0.82 Solar Masses), we find an Orbital Period of about 164.5 days, but given this might be influenced by authorial intent, the best course of action would probably be to ask Darren Bulmer for their input on this.

Finally, but not least, I want to apologise for A) how long this took and B) if I sounded too negative with this post, I wrote most of it yesterday night while I was tired and cranky.
Despite all the recurrent High Guard issues with the book, my previous statement about it overall quality holds! It's an excellent book and I can't wait to finish it. :)

Alright, Gurvin section done. Relatively light on errata, with only a typos section, and the usual High Guard section.

As always, if I'm not sure something is a mistake, it will have a [?] beside it.

• Page 143, 10th paragraph: "Instead, the olfactory nerve is located in an organ in the pallet of the mouth." - Palate, not 'pallet'.
  • Page 144, 'Lifespan', 2nd paragraph: "(...) male Gurvin routinely killed young they had not sired to force the female into eustress." - While 'eustress' is an actual word, the word here should be 'oestrus'.
  • Page 152, 'Dress, Art and Architecture', 2nd paragraph: "Gurvin loves nothing more than a prominent display of wealth through jewellery and finery." - This should either be 'Gurvin love nothing more (...)' or 'A Gruvin loves nothing more (...)'.
  • Page 156, 'Moteton Mining': "In a few short decades, Moteton Mining had extended its reach beyond Folgore sector and then to the surrounding subsectors than a century later." - This sentence is either missing a 'less' between 'subsectors' and 'than a century', or has a 'than' where they shouldn't be one.
  • [?] Page 158, 2nd paragraph: "By -500000, Gurvin began to use fire for heat and cooking." - Considering the previous paragraph stated that 'Anatomically modern Gurvin arose in approximately -400000', surely the figure of -500000 is wrong?
  • Page 161, 3rd paragraph: "Laws were enacted to prevent the rise like Oo Giphlan Dia again – the only laws of their kind." - Surely 'a rise like Oo Giphlan Dia'?
  • [?] Page 162, 1st paragraph: "To address the issue, a symposium." - While technically not wrong in any way whatsoever, it feels/reads like this sentence was cut short. Is this the case, or is it intentional?
  • Page 167, 'Extra Limbs': "When using used as legs, Gurvin movement increases to eight metres." - An extra 'using'.
  • Page 178, Deck Plans: There is one misplaced ⑥ near the docking space on Deck 4; it should be near the turret at the very front.

HIGH GUARD

Given all these designs were incredibly straightforward, the only real corrections needed are to the armour volume/costs that are common throughout the book, and a few corrections to cargo crane tonnage and price, plus a few punctual corrections.

• Nawryne Trade Scout:
    • J-Drive: The tonnage should be 14.625 tons, and the price MCr26.8125
    • Systems: The Docking Bay and associated Air/Raft should be in a 'Craft' section like on the other ships; the docking bay specifics also need tweaking, see next entry.
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Space (4 tons), occupy 5 tons, and cost MCr1.25.
    • Accommodation: The tonnage of the four standard staterooms should be 16 tons, not 16.4
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 39.575 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr55.6525; Purchase Cost is also MCr55.6525 and maintenance cost is now Cr4638/month.
  • Luaxwraua Family Trader:
    • Hull: The hull price should be MCr18, not 9.
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 2 tons of fuel per 4 weeks, for a total tankage of 64 tons, not 63.3
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Space (4 tons), occupy 5 tons, and cost MCr1.25.
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 125 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr85.32; Purchase Cost is also MCr85.32 and maintenance cost is now Cr7110/month.
  • Etruskauae Merchantman:
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 3 tons of fuel per 4 weeks, for a total tankage of 123, not 125.6.
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Spaces (4 tons) x2, occupy a combined 10 tons, and cost MCr2.5.
    • Systems: Cargo Crane should take up 3.5 tons, not 6, and cost MCr3.5, not 6.
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 266.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr165.76; Purchase Cost is also MCr165.76 and maintenance cost is now Cr13813/month
    • Crew: There is actually no requirement for a Maintenance for this ship; keeping it is entirely optional.
    • Power: Missing a Low Berth entry (2 power points) and a Medical Bay entry (1 power point).
  • Noau Small Freighter:
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 13 tons of fuel per 4 2eeks, for a total tankage of 913 tons, not 915.
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Spaces (40 tons) x2, occupy a combined 88 tons, and cost MCr22. The total cost of the two Slow Pinnaces should be MCr13.26
    • Systems: Cargo Crane should take up 7.5 tons, not 30, and cost MCr7.5, not 30.
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 1428.9 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above correction, total price should be MCr878.2; Purchase Cost is also MCr878.2 and maintenance cost is now Cr73183/month.
    • Crew: The minimum required crew for this ship should be Pilot, Astrogator, Engineers x11, Maintenance x3, Administrator, Officer.
    • Power: Jump Drive should consume 900 Power Points, not 600.

That's all the errata for the Gurvin. I'll try to get the Tezcat errata out before friday, but no promises!

Alright, Gurvin section done. Relatively light on errata, with only a typos section, and the usual High Guard section.

As always, if I'm not sure something is a mistake, it will have a [?] beside it.

• Page 143, 10th paragraph: "Instead, the olfactory nerve is located in an organ in the pallet of the mouth." - Palate, not 'pallet'.
  • Page 144, 'Lifespan', 2nd paragraph: "(...) male Gurvin routinely killed young they had not sired to force the female into eustress." - While 'eustress' is an actual word, the word here should be 'oestrus'.
  • Page 152, 'Dress, Art and Architecture', 2nd paragraph: "Gurvin loves nothing more than a prominent display of wealth through jewellery and finery." - This should either be 'Gurvin love nothing more (...)' or 'A Gruvin loves nothing more (...)'.
  • Page 156, 'Moteton Mining': "In a few short decades, Moteton Mining had extended its reach beyond Folgore sector and then to the surrounding subsectors than a century later." - This sentence is either missing a 'less' between 'subsectors' and 'than a century', or has a 'than' where they shouldn't be one.
  • [?] Page 158, 2nd paragraph: "By -500000, Gurvin began to use fire for heat and cooking." - Considering the previous paragraph stated that 'Anatomically modern Gurvin arose in approximately -400000', surely the figure of -500000 is wrong?
  • Page 161, 3rd paragraph: "Laws were enacted to prevent the rise like Oo Giphlan Dia again – the only laws of their kind." - Surely 'a rise like Oo Giphlan Dia'?
  • [?] Page 162, 1st paragraph: "To address the issue, a symposium." - While technically not wrong in any way whatsoever, it feels/reads like this sentence was cut short. Is this the case, or is it intentional?
  • Page 167, 'Extra Limbs': "When using used as legs, Gurvin movement increases to eight metres." - An extra 'using'.
  • Page 178, Deck Plans: There is one misplaced ⑥ near the docking space on Deck 4; it should be near the turret at the very front.

HIGH GUARD

Given all these designs were incredibly straightforward, the only real corrections needed are to the armour volume/costs that are common throughout the book, and a few corrections to cargo crane tonnage and price, plus a few punctual corrections.

• Nawryne Trade Scout:
    • J-Drive: The tonnage should be 14.625 tons, and the price MCr26.8125
    • Systems: The Docking Bay and associated Air/Raft should be in a 'Craft' section like on the other ships; the docking bay specifics also need tweaking, see next entry.
    • Accommodation: The tonnage of the four standard staterooms should be 16 tons, not 16.4
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 39.575 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr55.6525; Purchase Cost is also MCr55.6525 and maintenance cost is now Cr4638/month.
  • Luaxwraua Family Trader:
    • Hull: The hull price should be MCr18, not 9.
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 2 tons of fuel per 4 weeks, for a total tankage of 64 tons, not 63.3
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 125 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr85.32; Purchase Cost is also MCr85.32 and maintenance cost is now Cr7110/month.
  • Etruskauae Merchantman:
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 3 tons of fuel per 4 weeks, for a total tankage of 123, not 125.6.
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Spaces (4 tons) x2, occupy a combined 10 tons, and cost MCr2.5.
    • Systems: Cargo Crane should take up 3.5 tons, not 6, and cost MCr3.5, not 6.
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 266.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, total price should be MCr165.76; Purchase Cost is also MCr165.76 and maintenance cost is now Cr13813/month
    • Crew: There is actually no requirement for a Maintenance for this ship; keeping it is entirely optional.
    • Power: Missing a Low Berth entry (2 power points) and a Medical Bay entry (1 power point).
  • Noau Small Freighter:
    • Fuel Tanks: The power plant consumes 13 tons of fuel per 4 2eeks, for a total tankage of 913 tons, not 915.
    • Craft: The docking space entry should read Docking Spaces (40 tons) x2, occupy a combined 88 tons, and cost MCr22. The total cost of the two Slow Pinnaces should be MCr13.26
    • Systems: Cargo Crane should take up 7.5 tons, not 30, and cost MCr7.5, not 30.
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 1428.9 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above correction, total price should be MCr878.2; Purchase Cost is also MCr878.2 and maintenance cost is now Cr73183/month.
    • Crew: The minimum required crew for this ship should be Pilot, Astrogator, Engineers x11, Maintenance x3, Administrator, Officer.
    • Power: Jump Drive should consume 900 Power Points, not 600.

That's all the errata for the Gurvin. I'll try to get the Tezcat errata out before friday, but no promises!
I have passed these along :)

The final stretch! I've gone over the entire Tesco-Cat™ chapter but the High Guard section, which I've begun but not yet finished.
Instead of waiting until that's done before writing the full notes, I'll break my usual modus operandi and make two separate posts instead.
As always, entries where I'm unsure if there's actually a mistake will have a [?] prefacing them.

• [?] Pg.: 179, 'Physiology', 2nd paragraph: "Females have six small breasts in two rows, starting somewhat lower and further apart on the ribcage than human females and continuing down to the belly." - Shouldn't it be two columns, not rows?
  • Pg.: 180, 2nd paragraph: "Tezcat possess clavicle analogies but unlike many humanoids, (...)" - Shouldn't it be analogues (see 'Noun' entry) instead of analogies?
  • Pg.: 181, 7th paragraph: "The glands connect the teeth, and the venom is delivered through a bite." - A 'to' might be missing between 'connect' and 'the'.
  • Pg.: 182, 4th paragraph: "Mating is performed externally by entwining the pseudo-phalluses together while the male excretes gametes are absorbed by the female pseudo-phallus through the skin." - 'while the male-excreted gametes', surely?
  • Pg.: 183, 'Diet', 3rd paragraph: "Their food preparation is simple and uncomplicated, geared towards a bland pallet." - Ah, the 'pallet' in place of 'palate', my age-old enemy.
  • Pg.: 186, 'Xenophobia', 3rd paragraph: "Sophonts such as Droyne, Sydite, Bwap or Nixxine, (...)" - I have no registry of a species called 'Nixxine'. Did you mean, instead, the geneered human species Nexxies of Nexine (Spin 3030)?
  • [?] Pg.: 186, 'Xenophobia', 7th paragraph: "Less Tezcat-like sophonts will likely have their intelligence and capabilities drastically overestimated and those most different to Tezcat will have their intelligence and capabilities underestimated." - Is this phrase correct?
  • Pg.: 190, 'The Solar Hegemony', 1st paragraph: "The Lemente Ezva Har’Tez – Solar Hegemony of the Sacred People– is the interstellar union which joins together the worlds controlled by Tezcat." - Missing space between 'people' and the '–'.
  • Pg.: 195, 'Navy Operations', 1st paragraph: "Spacecraft are capable of jump-2 or jump-3 and are equipped with extra, collapsible or drop tankage to allow for multiple jumps through empty space with the need to refuel." - Surely 'without the need to refuel'?
  • [?] Pg.: 198, 1st paragraph: "The world is the second of 10 planets in orbit around a K9 V orange main sequence star locally known as Lemente." - Travellermap lists the system as having 14 worlds in total; this is not the end of the world (no pun intended), it is possible to just ask the curators to change it. I'll probably ask them myself, even.
  • Pg.: 198, 2nd paragraph: "Aum-rhar has a diameter of 14,200 kilometres and an axial tilt of 0 degrees." - Aum-rhar's size code is 8, and therefore, as per the World Builders Handbook, its maximum diameter cannot exceed 13599 Km. Could this possibly be a typo of 13200 Km?
  • Pg.: 198, 3rd paragraph: "Aum-rhar possesses a thin atmosphere at approximately 0.5 at sea level." - At 0.5 what, exactly? The default unit of pressure in World Builders Handbook is the Bar, but this could be in Atm as well.
  • Pg.: 198, 4th paragraph: "Orbiting at 90,272 kilometres is Aum-rhar’s only satellite, Ilynd, which completes an orbit every 21 days and 45 minutes." - If this is true, then a planet bigger than the Earth has a mass just 2.2% that of Earth, or in other words, a rocky planet about as dense as liquid hydrogen.
  • Pg.: 212, 3rd paragraph: "The invention of the printing press in -30 and ocean fairing sailing ships in -1020 ushered in TL2 for the Varuku." - Considering that 'By -920, the printing press could be found accross civilised Aum-rhar', I'm 97.2% sure it wasn't invented in -30.
  • Pg.: 212, 3rd paragraph: "The invention of the printing press in -30 and ocean fairing sailing ships in -1020 ushered in TL2 for the Varuku." - Ocean faring, not 'fairing'.
  • Pg.: 213, 1st and 2nd paragraphs: "In -857, Vre’rhar was born to free Tezcat in Brog." & "In -887, Vre’rhar, now a young, charismatic advocate of the Shaper Cult, came to the fore in Brog city." - Vre'rhar migh have been a prophet, but she sure wasn't a time-traveller.
  • Pg.: 213, 2nd paragraph: "Across the civilised Varaku world, revolts sprung up as Vre’rhar’s impassioned words the Tezcat ears." - There seems to be a missing word in this sentence, possibly 'reached'.
  • Pg.: 214, 'The Wars of Extermination', 1st paragraph: "Tezcat used captured Varaku muskets and cannons were used against their creators in frontal assaults while Tezcat guerrillas waged a war of attrition from the flanks and rear." - A redundant 'were used'.
  • [?] Pg.: 215, 6th paragraph: "Losses on both sides of the war were vast as Fa-hrai was engulfed in the flames of war." - Technically not an errata, and therefore technically out-of-scope for this thread; I'd personally delete the 'of the war' from this sentence, as 'the flames of war' makes it largely redundant.
  • Pg.: 222, 'Timeline', entry for -857: The same time-travelling prophet issue Page 213.
  • Pg.: 231, 'Weapons', 1st paragraph: "During their history, Tezcat have invented and used of a bewildering number of weapons, (...)" - either have 'made use of', or cut the 'of' between 'used' and 'a bewildering'.

Now only the High Guard section remains. There are no glaring errors as far as I saw, but considering the sheer number of designs, it might take me a while to go through all of them.

Now only the High Guard section remains. There are no glaring errors as far as I saw, but considering the sheer number of designs, it might take me a while to go through all of them.
bdg-polygon.gif

It took considerably more than 'a while' to go through all of them, as it turns out. Not because of the designs, however; they were all straightforward, it's just that Life™ has a nasty tendency to get In The Way Of Things®.

• Hrisshtou Light Fighter
    • Hull: Aerofins should be 0.45 tons and cost MCr0.45
    • M-Drive: Should be 0.7875 and cost MCr7.56
    • Computer: Should cost MCr7.5
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 0.2625 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr30.055; Purchase Cost is also MCr30.055 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr2505/Month
    • Power: Weapons should consume 6 power, not 8.
  • Gshahk Gig
    • Power: Weapons should consume 3 power, not 4.
  • Kalahk Medium Fighter
    • Hull: Aerofins should be 1.75 tons and cost MCr1.75
    • Armour: Should be 18.9 tons and cost MCr0.945
    • Computer: It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for this computer to be a /bis model; should be Computer/20fib
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 2.05
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr33.58; Purchase Cost is also MCr33.58 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr2798/Month
  • Asjrou Stealth Fighter
    • Hull: Aerofins should be 1.75 tons and cost MCr1.75
    • Armour: Should be 18.9 tons and cost MCr0.945
    • Computer: Should be Computer/20fib, not bis
    • Cargo: Due to above changes, cargo should be 2.75
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr54.73; Purchase Cost is also MCr54.73 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr4561/Month
  • Rashkaaht Boarding Skiff
    • Armour: Should cost MCr0.5
    • M-Drive: For the listed tonnage and cost, the skiff should have Thrust 6, not 5.
    • Computer: Should be Computer/15fib, not bis.
    • Weapons: Single Turret (Beam Laser) should cost MCr0.7
    • Systems:
      • Airlock should cost MCr0.2
      • Acceleration Seats should cost MCr0.9
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 4.6 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr29.15; Purchase Cost is also MCr29.15 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr2429/Month
    • Power: Weapons should consume 4 power, not 5.
  • Yarlasth Heavy Fighter
    • Armour: Should be 37.8 tons and cost MCr1.89
    • Computer: Should be Computer/20fib, not bis.
    • Weapons:
      • The Beam Laser does not have a high enough TL to be Long Range and High Yield at the same time. If keeping the long range, it takes up 1 ton and costs MCr0.825.
      • Fixed Mount (Particle Beam) should take up no tonnage and cost MCr4.1
      • Fixed Mount (Missile Rack) should take up no tonnage and cost MCr0.85
    • Systems:
      • Armoured Bulkheads (Bridge) should take up 0.6 tons and cost MCr0.12
      • Armoured Bulkheads (manoeuvre drive) should take up 0.42 tons and cost MCr0.084
      • Armoured Bulkheads (power plant) should take up 0.5 tons and cost MCr0.1
      • Armoured Bulkheads (sensors) should take up 0.3 tons and cost MCr0.06
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 4.68 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr45.379; Purchase Cost is also MCr45.379 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr3782/month
    • Power: Weapons should consume 10 power, not 13.
  • Grathriss Gunboat
    • Armour: Should be 27 tons and cost MCr1.35
    • Systems:
      • Armoured Bulkhead (bridge) should be 1 ton and cost MCr0.2
      • Armoured Bulkhead (manoeuvre drive) should be 0.6 tons and cost MCr0.12
      • Armoured Bulkhead (power plant) should be 0.7 tons and cost MCr0.14
      • Armoured Bulkhead (sensors) should be 0.3 tons and cost MCr0.06
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 21.4 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr56.87; Purchase Cost is also MCr56.87 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr4739/Month
  • Vatha Torpedo Boat
    • Armour: Should be 27 tons and cost MCr1.35
    • Ammunition: Torpedo storage for 21 torpedoes should take up 7 tons.
    • Systems:
      • Armoured Bulkhead (bridge) should be 1 ton and cost MCr0.2
      • Armoured Bulkhead (manoeuvre drive) should be 0.6 tons and cost MCr0.12
      • Armoured Bulkhead (power plant) should be 0.6 tons and cost MCr0.12
      • Armoured Bulkhead (sensors) should be 0.3 tons and cost MCr0.06
    • Software: Fire Control/1 should cost MCr2
    • Cargo: Due to the above changes, cargo should be 15.5 tons.
    • Total: Due to the above corrections, Total Cost should be MCr48.85; Purchase Cost is also MCr48.85 and Maintenance Cost is now Cr4071/Month
  • Kilrashta Refuelling Shuttle
    • Fuel Tanks:
      • 1 week operation should take up 3 tons, not 1.4
      • Should include entry 'Additional Fuel' taking up 886 tons.
    • Cargo: Because of the above changes, cargo should be 0 tons.
    • Power: Instead of sensors, power entries should include 'Other' for 10 power (the UNREP system).
  • Ralamekh Guardship
    • Hull:
      • 5,000 tons, Close Structure should cost MCr200.
      • Reinforced Hull should cost MCr100
    • Armour: To make the design be legal, I had to reduce the armour rating down from 7 to 5; this makes the armour tonnage 937.5 and cost MCr46.875
    • M-Drive: Should take up 100 tons and cost MCr200
    • Fuel Tanks: J-3, 4 weeks of operation should take up 1534 tons.
    • Computer: should be Core/70fib, not bis.
    • Sensors: Improved Sensors should cost MCr4.3, not 3.3
    • Weapons: Small Missile Bays x6 should cost MCr72
    • Ammunition: Missile Storage (864 missiles) should take up 72 tons.
    • Screens: Nuclear Dampers x4 should take up 40 tons and cost MCr40.
    • Craft:
      • Docking Space (50 tons) should cost MCr13.75
      • Rashkaaht Boarding Skiff should cost MCr29.15 (see relevant entry above)
    • Systems:
      • Drop Tank Mount should read Drop Tank Mounts (J-3), take up 6 tons, and cost MCr3.
      • Shaper Shrines come in units of 6 tons costing MCr0.4 per unit; This means that as written, the shrine should take up 12 tons and cost MCr0.8. However, the rules on page 233 state: '(...) shrines are designed to hold the entire ship’s complement.", which means this ship (with a listed crew of 150, sans priest) would require 150/12 = 12.5 shrines, for a total tonnage of 75 tons and MCr5.
    • Staterooms: Due to its crew requirements (see below), assuming total double occupancy, this ship requires a minimum of 85 staterooms.
    • Cargo: This ship might require a redesign; see discussion at the end of the post.
    • Total: This ship might require a redesign; see discussion at the end of the post.
    • Crew: The crew compliment of this ship should be Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineers x23, Maintenance x10, Gunners x100, Administrators x5, Sensops x9, Medics x2, Officers x15 summing 169, plus one (1) Shaper Priest for a total of 170.
    • Power:
      • Manoeuver Drive should consume 1000, not 1500.
      • Weapons should consume 720, not 699.
      • Screens should consume 80, not 120.
  • Fralthaki Light Cruiser
    • Amour: Should cost MCr225
    • J-Drive: Should cost MCr2257.5
    • Fuel: J-3, 8 weeks of operation should take up 6250 tons.
    • Computer: Should take up no tonnage, and be Core/70fib, not bis.
    • Sensors: Ships larger than 7500 tons cannot have Sensor Stations (High Guard 2022 Update, page 52)
    • Ammunition: Torpedo Storage (100 torpedoes) should take up 33.333333... tons.
    • Craft:
      • Rashkaaht Boarding Skiffs x2 should cost MCr58.3 (see relevant entry above)
      • Gshahk Gig should cost MCr6.83 (see relevant entry)
    • Systems: Shaper Shrines come in units of 6 tons costing MCr0.4 per unit; This means that as written, the shrine should take up 24 tons and cost MCr1.6. However, the rules on page 233 state: '(...) shrines are designed to hold the entire ship’s complement.", which means this ship (with a listed crew of 220, sans priest) would require 220/12 = 18.333... shrines, for a total tonnage of 110 tons and MCr7.333...
    • Staterooms: Due to its crew requirements (see below), assuming total double occupancy, this ship requires a minimum of 155 staterooms.
    • Cargo: This ship might require a redesign; see discussion at the end of the post.
    • Total: This ship might require a redesign; see discussion at the end of the post.
    • Crew: The crew compliment of this ship should be Captain, Pilots x3, Astrogator, Engineers x65, Maintenance x27, Gunners x162, Administrators x14, Sensops x5, Medics x3, Officers x28 summing 309, plus one (1) Shaper Priest for a total of 310.
    • Power:
      • Weapons should consume 2045, not 2016.
      • Screens should consume 200, not 300.
  • Bhanthari Fleet Carrier
    • See discussion below
  • Snavrarh Broodship
    • See discussion below

Overall, all of the small craft are a-okay. The larger craft, however, have some deeper issues.
The most glaring, I think, is that the way they use Shaper Shrines directly contradicts the rules presented for them on Page 233. An executive decision by part of Mongoose needs to be made on what is the "correct" way to use them, as-written on page 233 (6 tons for MC0.4), or as-shown in the designs, which is indistinguishible from normal Common Areas (1 ton goes for MCr0.1). A decision also needs to be made on whether the shrines can have "fractional" values from their 6 ton nominal size-per-unit; if so, I'd recommend rewriting the rules to state that each ton holds 2 worshippers and that it costs MCr0.06666666666... ...uhm, the cost might need a re-evaluation if this is done.

I did not check the Fleet Carrier or the Broodship due to both a lack of wind after all those other ships, and a deflated motivation after the inconsistent rules. Once a decision on that is made I'll tackle them properly.

Not to necro an old post, but are there any news about the above errata? It seems like there hasn't yet been an update to the digital files, so I'm wondering if the errata above has also been incorporated, and that whole Shaper Shrine thing addressed?

Back