Aesir + sailor

Alien195

Mongoose
I've looking around the map but I didn't see any mean to the Aesir to reach the sea, neither I saw any river. How could them to be sailors ?

I noticed that too, but also seemed to remember the Aesir didnt attain any real nautical ability - unlike the Vikings, as much as I wish it werent so.

well it doesnt take much to cross those mountains and join with some vanir raiders. in the hyborian essay from howard doesnt he talk about the vanir raiding all along the pictish coast near the end of the age and taking zingara and eventually one tribe taking stygia. that to me seems like a good enough excuse to say they had developed some impressive seamanship by the end of the age. which is what the nordheimir are doing in my campaign which is set roughly 120yrs after the reign of king conan, plenty of nords are pirates down in the barachan isles and are bringing their new found knowledge home with them.

Krushnak said:
well it doesnt take much to cross those mountains and join with some vanir raiders.

Yeah, walking some 400 miles across tundra shouldn't take much effort at all, even with the Blue Mountains in the way. Shoot, we may as well give the Zamorians seamanship also - they are a bit closer to the Vilayet than most of the Aesir are to the Western Ocean. :)

Spectator said:
rather cheeky, but glad to see that you are still on the boards

That was just the kind of mood I was in last night. I just didn't get his logic of assigning a cultural background skill because a few individuals might walk 400 miles to water - that condition could apply to a lot of cultures.

it wasnt an excuse for giving aesir the background skill but merely an explanation for why some might have it, i hardly doubt the border between vanaheim and asgard is static. for the most part though it is a silly background skill which is why it's good you included the variant to give them intimidate instead.

There is also, of course, the issue of Vanir/Aesir relations. Aesir "Join Vanir raiders" in only one way...

I think Nordhiemer get Profession (Sailor) as a backgrond skill so coastal Vanir can have some seamanship, not so Asir can walk 500+ miles to the ocean. However, as long as Asir and Vanir are going to be treated as a single race, backgrund skills should be equally logical for both. Intimidate makes much more sense!
MP

Back