Adventureseed for Nordheim

Etepete

Mongoose
I thought I'd set a good example by publishing just a seed for an adventure I hope might be found useful.

Setting: Anywhere in Nordheim. The characters are visiting a bleak homestead in a landscape of bogs and birches for the wedding of a friend or contact. Let's call him Sigalf.

Plot: The wedding is held during a weeklong "blot [bloot]" or sacrifice ritual. One animal is offered to the ancestors on every first light in the morning. It's killed by strangling.

On the first morning, when the wedding was supposed to be held, the bride is discovered to be missing after the sacrifice. The sacrifices will continue out of cultic nessecity, but on every morning another local is missing. Of course, Sigalf is frantic to get his bride back, and eager to put a stup to the abductions.

What to do: Tracking will uncover tracks leading into the bogs. Research will tell the adventurers that those same bogs where once the site of the worship of the grim god Böl, king of death, who demanded human sacrifice. The degenerate decendants of his mad priest are thought to still be hidden among the Nordheimr commoners.

Two sidetracks: One is the jealous younger brother of Sigalf: Nidalf who will be under suspicion of bride-theft. The other are the Hyperborean/Cimmerian/Vanir invitees who will be thought to be seeking to destabilize the settlements. These later are actually planning cattle-theft, and might become violent.

The real perpetrator is an old servant and favorite of Sigalfs: Grim. He's the storyteller of the household, and most likely one of the PC:s sources of information. His ancestors where priests to Böl. When his wife died som years back (of old age) he couldn't bear the loss, and went into the Bog to renew his families alliegance to the old god. He thought he heard the divinity instruct him to lay down seven strangled victims in the bog during the week of sacrifice: and he has done so. The first animal sacrificed was a heifer, and that's why the old man picked the only young woman still virgin. Let the other animals and victims correspond likewise.

The End: All the victims lie dead in the bog under the carved image of Böl. Grim has the support of savage decendants of the priest of Böl who live like beasts in the woods, and will defend their relative with their bare hands. The theatrical GM will let an avatar of Böl rise out of the muddy swamp: a mix of gnarled root, bloody clutters and bleached bone. A more fatalistic GM might let the adventure end with the death of Grim and a sense of meaningless death. If all seven are sacrificed, it might be proper to let the haunted wraith of Grims wife (Hella) rise from the dead, kill of her husband for bringing her to haunted life again, and then haunt the area and the PC:s.

Wicked good idea for an adventure. For a Nordheimer adventure though, I would change the swamp location for a unexplored mountainous range of the Eiglophian Mountains that could incorporate the Verunians from Hyperborea or the cannibalistic apes that attack the Verunians.

The swamp angle may work better at the edge of the Varakiel Marshes in Nemedia. They could be Vanir/Asgardians that have settled in the Border Kingdoms perhaps.

Good idea and thanks for posting it.

Interesting seed.
However, PCs prefer warmer climes...someplace with waving palms, a cool drink with an umbrella in it, sandy beaches, and those mind-melting Zingaran thong bikinis. :shock: 8)

Yogah of Yag said:
Interesting seed.
However, PCs prefer warmer climes...someplace with waving palms, a cool drink with an umbrella in it, sandy beaches, and those mind-melting Zingaran thong bikinis. :shock: 8)

That's the thing though. After too close contacts with the daiquiri-sipping bikini-wench-haute coiffure they might need to get some time too.... cool off.

Looks good- I think I'll use this seed, with some tweaking, of course, since my group will be travelling north in the near future :D

I will probably use it too, although in tweaked form...

An evil sorceror has imprisoned the PCs and forced them to watch Fanny och Alexander until they scream for mercy. :twisted:

Yogah of Yag said:
I will probably use it too, although in tweaked form...

An evil sorceror has imprisoned the PCs and forced them to watch Fanny och Alexander until they scream for mercy. :twisted:

It's getting weirder and weirder...

My ideas for adventures in Nordheim are unfortunately stolen ones.

There is a great Cormac MacArt story, where an island fortress of Vikings is overrun by furious Caledonian picts. Substitute Vikings with Nordheimers and Caledonian Picts with, well, Picts and you can have a great adventure. PCs running in the dark trying to find the last unburnt longship, Pict shamen dragging Nordheimers to crude altars and so on. I know that in the Conan books, there were no drakar longships, but then again that never bothered me much.

I would also like to do a kinda Game of Thrones/Thirteenth Warrior story, where an unnameable horror from the ice comes to a Asgardian or Vanaheim village. The PCs are named by the village crone/priestess to be the saviours of legend and will have to travel in the land of the nevermelting ice to confront this ancient evil and defeat it. The Others in the Game of Thrones series would be great.

Anyways, these are two of my Nordheimer adventure ideas.

Both very good stuff, proper conan. I especially like the pict attack thing. And stealing never bothered me much. These are far more properly in the realm of High Adventure than my little pig-farming episode...

The story is "The Night of the Wolf". I highly recommend it. In fact most if not all the stories in the Baen Cormac McArt book are ready adventures. All you need is pretty much to draw a map or two and stat the NPCs. But the adventure seed, plot and flow are all there. I plan to, ahem, borrow heavily from there as well as stuff from the Song of Fire and Ice series (and the RPG that came out of it).

P.S. as the bogconcept might clash with how some visualize nordheim, it might be a thought to put it on the border to pictland. That's boggish enough a place. You can then surplant the Mad Sacrifice-Priests of yorn with supersticious primitives, and put som pict blood in the veins of Grim...

Back