ACTA SF

nothing says you cannot take Romulan ships and do Klingon things to them

I intend to repeatedly do klingon things to any romulan ship that turns up at our gaming group. This may not be exaclty the context you had in mind, though. :D

So can mongoose give us any other idea about what is going to happen with this game.Such as number of ships in the main book. If there will be a fleet book and a rule book? Is it going to be a priorty based, points based?I heard they are going to be resin?Are there going to be any fleet boxes at release.What fleets are going to be put out in the first month or two.
Any other info is there?

There's a proper preview coming in a few weeks. AFAIK it's points based, like Noble Armada, with resin 1/3125 models (25% bigger than the ADB models, scale may be subject to change) and Mongoose are going to mirror the current ADB Federation Commander fleet boxes, with Feds, Klinks and Roms out first.

Hopefully they'll do like FC and have individual ships available too - like NA. I don't want to buy loads of boxes just to get a destroyer or frigate squadron together.

This is not ment to be a slam. It may sound that way but it is not ment to be rude. Is this going to be released on time, before the year is out?

Still early days, I think - they have a working rules set that they're trying out, but nothing concrete from what we've heard on here...

There's supposed to be a big reveal when the Mongoose staff get back from GenCon, I think... so probably a case of wait until then and hopefully we'll find out.

AdrianH said:
And I got several FASA miniatures ages ago which will do nicely as proxies for various SFU ships, e.g. Excelsior as a Federation DN or CV, and Reliant as a Frigate. I also have something Klingon which is FASA's own design, I don't know what it's called because it doesn't appear in the Star Trek Combat Simulator fleet book, but it will probably proxy for something like a D-5.

I believe STIII was originally going to feature Romulans, so the Romulan Bird of Prey was built. Then the management wanted to use Klingons, so the Bird of Prey became Klingon. Nevertheless, if I use my model, it will be a proxy for something Romulan, as will FASA's own Winged Defender.
At least in SFC - II the reliant "model" was used there for the NCL (new light cruiser) ship. From what I read about the reliant that ship (from wikis so not game stats) is almost more heavily armed than a constitution cruiser

I heard a nice little story about the Reliant that probabley needs to be taken with a H U G E pinch of salt...

Alegdeadly when Khan was in production but before the design was finalised the Reliant had her engines above the saucer and the role bar below the design was mistakenly presented to Harve Bennet upside down...who then signed of on it...hence the design.

as i said, a huge pinch of salt, but funny if true

Ryueokami said:
At least in SFC - II the reliant "model" was used there for the NCL (new light cruiser) ship. From what I read about the reliant that ship (from wikis so not game stats) is almost more heavily armed than a constitution cruiser

NCL has slightly more firepower than an unrefitted CA (but less power and shields, though a lower movement cost largely balances out the power).

I'm guessing the SFC games were a whole new licence though, so can't be used.

I read a similar story.
During a story board session a picture of the ship was sitting upside down.
They decided it helped make it easier for non-die hard trek fans to tell the ships apart.

From IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084726/trivia?tr=tr0668427]IMDB:
The model of the USS Reliant was purposely designed so that the warp engines hung below the fuselage so that audiences would not accidentally confuse it with the Enterprise. As the fundamental components of both ships are the same (saucer, warp engines, etc) it was seen as being an effective way to visually differentiate the two vessels, particularly during action sequences when both ships are in the same scene.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084726/trivia?tr=tr0668014
It is revealed in the Director's Edition DVD, Special Features disk 2 "Designing Khan" feature that the USS Reliant design sketch was sent to Harve Bennett for review. He signed off on it while looking at it upside-down, and calls it the upside-down Enterprise. This was not corrected because it gave some distinction for both ships that already looked so much alike belonging to the same fleet.

Since the warp nacelles and markings are the right way round when the nacelles are hanging down, presumably either Harve Bennett saw the finished version but turned it upside down to put the warp nacelles in the "right" Federation position, or the nacelles and markings were corrected after the final decision to have the nacelles hanging down.

I wonder if after gen con they will make there big statment. Or if they are going to wait for another time.

Bear in mind that the map above, which is based on that used in Federation and Empire (as shown here and here), is of "our" corner of the galaxy.

(The "off-map" areas on the F&E map are represented by the blank sections of the galaxy in the Alpha through Delta sectors.)

Not long now - the benefit of waiting this extra time is that we wil have way more ships to show off!

Back