ACTA:SF Rev 2 After action

Reynard

Cosmic Mongoose
Saturday I ran the new version by myself with a ship an each to run through and get a feel for the rules then Sunday I had a friend get into a game. He too was pleasantly surprised. We went down the Turn Sequence list SLOWLY to understand each and every rule and unlearn the old rules.

We both love the new drone rules, there's a lot more tactical though when there are little drone minis on the table in front of your ship and you have no idea what they're going to do. The turning rules give a lot more flexibility especially for ships with higher turn scores. My friend like playing the Feds and they tended to maneuver like a garbage scow in the old game. Now, he was delighted to keep up with those Klingon jacklas. I was finding it harder to perform my lion's claw attack because he wasn't running the Feds like a herd.

We definitely want to run games more frequently when he can come over and try out all the races presented. I need to run Kzinti for better understanding of drone tactics and he wants those Gorns on the table again.

Got my next game going. Have to wait for my regular opponent when he can get into my area for two player games but I'm trying a solo run. It means playing each side in the present so I try not to know what will happen next. Not easy.

I want to delve deeper with the new drone rules and choose Kzinti vs. Tholians. Web generators make drones difficult so I get to really think how to use them with other weapons on board. So far, it's an interesting learning experience and yes, those drones get pesky compared to the old direct fire mechanic. Still, the Tholians are going to prove themselves too.

Back