[ACTA] Effect of Loss of SA on "All Stop"

From a previous post it was stated that when SA is lost it is immediate and what was in play is canceled.

What happens if a ship under "All Stop" suffers loss of SA?
Does it immediatly move?
Must it move next turn?

Thanks.

CCotD'

Cerebral Cortex of the Da said:
Does it immediatly move?
Must it move next turn?
Movement SA are over and done with by the time damage is done, so you don't move that Turn. However, you would be ineligable for the All Stop & Pivot! SA next Turn.

Wulf

EDIT: clarified

Wulf Corbett said:
Does it immediatly move?
Must it move next turn?
Movement SA are over and done with by the time damage is done, so you don't move that Turn. However, you would be ineligable for the All Stop & Pivot! SA next Turn. You could still do another All Stop! though.

Wulf

What is the difference between an All Stop and All Stop & Pivot? (just curious because All Stop is also an SA and I'm trying to head any questions the group will have.)

Thanks.

CCotD'

All stop means 0-half movement and no turns.

All stop and pivot can only be done after a turn of all stop. You get no movement, get to turn any way you want, and your not allowed to fire......

What is the difference between an All Stop and All Stop & Pivot? (just curious because All Stop is also an SA and I'm trying to head any questions the group will have.)
All Stop & Pivot! allows you to turn the ship to face any direction whatsoever without moving. It doesn't allow any firing, and has the prerequisite that you must have been under the SA All Stop! the previous Turn.

Wulf

Thanks for answering my question, I guess I asked it incorrectly.

Since both are SA's, why would one (All Stop) be able to be used over the other (All Stop and Pivot)?

Thanks.

CCotD'

Since both are SA's, why would one (All Stop) be able to be used over the other (All Stop and Pivot)?
You can ONLY use AS&P! on the Turn AFTER AS! (you'll get used to the abbreviations...). If your AS! was lost due to crits, it doesn't count, so you can't use AS&P! Otherwise, AS&P! is a great way for a sluggish ship with a poor turn rate to point in the right direction (although it effectively takes two Turns, with the AS! before it, and you can't fire on AS&P! - so it's not actually very popular, I've never seen it used).

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
You can ONLY use AS&P! on the Turn AFTER AS! (you'll get used to the abbreviations...). If your AS! was lost due to crits, it doesn't count, so you can't use AS&P! Otherwise, AS&P! is a great way for a sluggish ship with a poor turn rate to point in the right direction (although it effectively takes two Turns, with the AS! before it, and you can't fire on AS&P! - so it's not actually very popular, I've never seen it used).

Wulf

I get it now. Thanks.

I know the one question that the group will ask, is how can you use the SA of "All Stop" if the critical does not allow SA anymore.

Thanks again.

CCotD'

You cant take it.

Not until the crit is repaired. Or never if crits cannot be repaired anymore.

AS&P is pretty sucky. If youre really pointed that far away from soemthing, youll lose a turn on AS, and then a turn firing on AS&P. And then the game will prolly be decided. I rarely see a game last longer than turn4. With turn 5 mostly devoted to mop up. If it ever occurs.

Wulf meant, that if you did AS, gain a no SA crit, then you cannot do an AS&P SA afterwards. This might apply to ancients, who autorepair all crits at end of turn.

Basically if you could fire with AS&P or the prerequisite of AS would be dropped (one not both) it would actually be usable, but like this, its over until a ship has gotten to turn around.

Voronesh said:
Wulf meant, that if you did AS, gain a no SA crit, then you cannot do an AS&P SA afterwards. This might apply to ancients, who autorepair all crits at end of turn.
Yeah, sorry, I was thinking about after it was repaired, I've been reading up playtest notes on Ancients again!

Wulf

One possible use for AS&P could be if your playing a scenario with fixed map edges (leaving a map edge destroys the ship) and through a mix of crits or poor planning your too close to the map edge to avoid going off of it you could AS one turn and then AS&P the next. Sure the ship will be pretty much useless for 2 turns but thats better than being destroyed.

Methos5000 said:
One possible use for AS&P could be if your playing a scenario with fixed map edges
It could also be a good emergency measure to prevent a short excursion into an Asteroid field :shock:

Wulf

I know the one question that the group will ask, is how can you use the SA of "All Stop" if the critical does not allow SA anymore.

Thanks again.

CCotD'

You can also loose a Special Action when you are caught in the blast of a Narn Ionic Burst type Energy Mine.

Silvereye said:
You can also loose a Special Action when you are caught in the blast of a Narn Ionic Burst type Energy Mine.
Or the Abbai Comms Disruptor.

(During Playtesting a Sharlin got a 'No Weapons Fire' crit - I immediately set both Shyarie on him and he hasn't been able to do Damage Control since (game paused between weekends)!)

Wulf

So, All Stop! may not be performed if a ship has suffered a "No SA" critical? That makes no sense. I can adjust my ship's speed between half and full, but not between half and zero? Someone, please, explain this game mechanic to me.

In my humble opinion, all "Auto" SA's should be allowed, even if no other SA are allowed due to critical(s), crippling or skeletoning. Does the use of Flight Computer still allow SA's?

Remember, ACTA is a simple game with a lot of abstractions.

You could argue that the crit means that commanding officer is is temporarily incapacitated and so there is no-one giving special orders. Most of the special actions are named for orders given by the COs in the series.

A Flight Computer does allow you to perform Spaeial Actions when you are skeleton crewed (unless you have suffered a No Special Actions crit).

Back