ACTA at Battlecry 08 pictures.

Banichi

Cosmic Mongoose
Just in case there is anyone else lurking out there who is from the Auckland area.

This weekend myself and a friend are going to be demoing ACTA at the Battlecry 08 convention. Day one we will be running demo games, and trying to drum up interest for a tournament on day two. Everything is provided so just show up and play.

Hi Banichi,

May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best for your demo - Look forward to hearing how it went,

Kind Regards

Digger.

Well that was an interesting weekend. We had two tables going, and used demo fleets of 3pt raid, each containing 2 raid and 2 skirmish ships. I used fleets this size because it made for quick games, but still left a player with a decent number of ships to play with. Alot of people were taking part in tournaments, and this size game meant they could grab a game in between their other games. So it worked out quite nicely.
[/img]
DSC00223.jpg

DSC00222-1.jpg

In case you are wondering. I didn't have enough centurions for both tables, so the dargans I collected in 1e stood in for them. I even cut and pasted the dargans pic over the centurion's in the ship referance sheets I made. By keeping it to set fleets people could just get stuck in, and not spend ages trying to figure out a fleet from the book. (It also means I don't have that many ships to go over looking for chips :wink: )

There were some quite memorable games. Like when one bloke ran his centauri through an asteroid field to try and get the drop on the vree, only to get antimattered to death on the other side.

DSC00227.jpg

Or the 5pt raid game I had later in the second day were the EA third age fleet kind of managed to get scattered all over the table, before much shooting even took place.

[/img]
DSC00230.jpg

Not sure how his omega ended up facing the wrong way. but it was a good game, and it kind of made up for the hiding he gave me in day one.

All in all it went kind of well. We couldn't get the numbers for a tournament on day two as we had planned. But we did a decent number of demo games, and I think we made a few converts. A number of people played who had ships at home from B5 Wars, or fleet action, but didn't know about ACTA.

DSC00231.jpg

One of the Victory at Sea guy's (BigShowNZ) Italian fleet had a close encounter.[/img]

Looks like excellent work all round - nice planet and painted ships :)

does having the arcs on the ship bases work well - it looks simple and a useful technique?

:D

Lt.Derina said:
did you get into the demo team?

No, I didn't. I'm not sure I will be doing stuff like this often enough to warant it.

Da Boss said:
Looks like excellent work all round - nice planet and painted ships :)

Cheers :)

Da Boss said:
does having the arcs on the ship bases work well - it looks simple and a useful technique?

It sure does make things easy. It might not be as cool looking as having the base painted as a starscape, but in gameplay terms it is very good. All you have to do is sight along the stem and the point on the edge to see if something is in arc. And it makes working out turns very easy as well.

Congratulations - Glad to hear your day went well.

The miniatures look excellent by the way.

Kind Regards

Very cool pics, the moon/rocky planet really look great. care giving a tutorial about how you did it ? :)

:) He has me for organising that bit. Hi, I'm a new shiny MI and I was the organiser of the whole event of BattleCry. I registered our events through Ian, and will be using any credit I get to help with goodies for future BattleCry's. I'm also hoping to learn how to play ACTA but I'll have to be quick and get some minis before they all go... and defunct rpgs (my speciality) so, hi *waves*

Cool photo's Banichi. As soon as I have time I'll link the BattleCry site to them.

Lt.Derina said:

After seeing the games at Battlecry (and that saucer lurking above my battleship) I am keen to get into B5 as well.... of course Mongooses timing on the canning of the miniature range is a bit unfortunate :(

Chris

MissMenolly said:
:) He has me for organising that bit. Hi, I'm a new shiny MI and I was the organiser of the whole event of BattleCry. I registered our events through Ian, and will be using any credit I get to help with goodies for future BattleCry's. I'm also hoping to learn how to play ACTA but I'll have to be quick and get some minis before they all go... and defunct rpgs (my speciality) so, hi *waves*

Cool photo's Banichi. As soon as I have time I'll link the BattleCry site to them.

Lt.Derina said:

I have the 3 wars books

Romu said:
Very cool pics, the moon/rocky planet really look great. care giving a tutorial about how you did it ? :)

It was real easy. Just get a polystyrene (it's late, and the spelling part of my brain is tired :lol: ) ball and cut of enough so that it won't roll off the table mid battle. I tried to cut off the right amount so that my ships would be level with the equator when it is on the table, but you could cut it in half, so you have two. Then just bash, burn, kick the heck out of it until you have the surface texture you want. I used a lighter to burn out some of the larger pittings on the surface, because it gives it a grovey craggy look that is really good for drybrushing. Painting is just a even coat of dark gray, followed by a couple of progressively lighter coats drybrushed on.

Whilst it looks fantastic, the problem with the "3D" planet, is that you obviously can't put ships actually on it. I guess the solution would be to have a 2D template you can swap it for if and when someone wants to go over the planet.

Regards,

Dave

Foxmeister said:
Whilst it looks fantastic, the problem with the "3D" planet, is that you obviously can't put ships actually on it. I guess the solution would be to have a 2D template you can swap it for if and when someone wants to go over the planet.

Regards,

Dave

Good idea. I've been toying with the notion of making a flat world (Columbus who?) for planetary assults. I like the idea of been able to place ships or flights that are attacking, or dropping off troups, directly on the world.

Could you just make one world like you mentioned previously, and then chop a good part of the top off as well, so it left a flat top. Then you could have a raised flat area for placing the ships, and still have the rounded base to give the world/planet feel? And if you had one of each you could swap them if you need the flat surface for ships.

Banichi said:
Good idea. I've been toying with the notion of making a flat world (Columbus who?) for planetary assults. I like the idea of been able to place ships or flights that are attacking, or dropping off troups, directly on the world.

MissMenolly said:
Could you just make one world like you mentioned previously, and then chop a good part of the top off as well, so it left a flat top. Then you could have a raised flat area for placing the ships, and still have the rounded base to give the world/planet feel? And if you had one of each you could swap them if you need the flat surface for ships.

Hmmm. You could even keep the bit you cut off, and paint it up as usual, and just have it sitting on top. That way you can just take it off when someone is doing a flyover. A detachable hemisphere. :D

Back