A2089 - new concept

Götterfunke

Mongoose
Hi, Matthew!

As a Classic Battletech & Dark Age gamer I`m a strong supporter of this new miniatures game. With miniatures two things can be handled - first miniatures can be used in the current RPG - second a new game can be introduced.
Concerning this new miniatures game: Do you have some ideas.....(is it like MW: Dark Age - using a combat dial or is it like Classic Battletech)

You mentioned that you will concentrate on the warmeks to introduce some recognizable machines (like Warhammer) (that`s the best news I´ve ever heard :p , because I like your Warmek designs) - is there a plan to introduce them by publishing a technical readout (similiar to Classic Battletech or Dark Age; Book of Destruction ) I think this form of introducing them, would make them more recognizable and lovable (does this word exist in English - I`m sorry my English is so bad - I`m out of practice):
New machines, their introduction - years, their different versions and (this is very important to get a certain "relationship" to this new machine) their combat histories. Max Gondzalez or a another warmek tester can show their weaknesses.....(f.e. in the Classic Battletech universe: STR 1R1 Streitross : a big nasty thing, but too slow and under-armed TRO: 3025)

To seperate from the Classic Battletech universe and other miniatures games I would introduce four limbed warmeks and make them more stylish than the Hokumo multi legged....(there is no multi legged mech in the Dark Age universe and just 2,3,4 multilegged ones in the Classic Battletech like the Goliath or the Skorpion), to your designers: Missionforce Cyberstorm - an old computer game - could be a nice inspiration!!!

So....I wish you a nice evening and a happy new year (don`t drink too much! :p )

First off your English is very good, what you wanted to say came across very well Gotterfunke.

Second I agree with that, some flavor text for the machines would work along with some variant design ideas. In Battletech you only get humanoid and quad (LAMs got taken out of the storyline a while back due to a lawsuit from my understanding of things) so doing other forms would work as well. Arachno-meks could work along with the idea of meks with multiple arms. If nothing else another way to show these designs as unique and memorable.

Hi Lone Stranger!

Thank you for the compliment! :p (my former English teacher would be very proud of me)

Second - I like your idea of meks with multiple arms, I also enjoyed the idea of double seaters (pilot + weapon officer)

Third - according to the warmachine 2089 supplement Ipex produces the Starscreamer - orbital patrol mek for extra-atmospheric use. Please!!!! Don`t forget this idea for the future miniatures game....this will open new possibilities for you (mongoose) and for me (player).....great idea! :p

Fourth - Do you plan to introduce tanks, supertanks (there is just one supertank illustrated in the Armoured company sourcebook) , hovers and power armours in your miniatures game?

Have a nice evening! :p

I'd say leave the meks on the ground and let transatmospheric fighters handle the fight in the air and space. Other than that I'd like to see some of these ideas see the light of day.

Hi Lone Stranger!

I just want to explain one misunderstanding! :)
The orbital patrol mek, produced by Ipex, is not able to fly ( the name of this warmek is a little bit confusing!!!) This warmek fights, like every warmek, on the ground.....BUT on extraatmospheric ground (f.e. moon surface). So in my opinion it would increase the range of opportunities for A2089 - and it is a chance to seperate from Dark Age (I`ve never fought on less gravity surface)

So...have a nice day and a happy new year!!! :p

Ah ok, I hadn't seen that one. Doing some stuff for meks in space would be interesting but I think one of the ways the game can stay unique is to keep the game confined to earth and possibly the moon at most.

Hi, Lonestranger!

I agree with you - earth and moon should be the only locations of great warmek battles, in order to continue the realistic touch of A2089!

Have a nice day! :p

Dear Matthew Sprange!

According to your last post about the new miniatures game - you will draw your attention to the king of battlefield - the warmek. That`s great....!

Will there be some new factories,..... perhaps one, which is specialized in producing Arachno - meks?

At the moment, everything is up in the air with the A2089 miniatures game. It will not be the first miniatures game we do, not the second (a couple of thinsg I want to get out of the way first!). However, once we get the brainstorm going and get the right 'angle' for this game, there will be no stopping us!

Hi, Matthew!

What material will you use for your miniatures?

One of your last posts say that you will improve the style of future mek designs....in order to have some recognisable meks like Warhammer or Marauder. Perhaps the use of armour plates (a little bit a like a Triceratops - for assault warmeks) will give future warmeks an individual look. From animals we can learn something to create new warmeks - for example a mechanic scorpion tail or a trunk will be something new in the world of warmeks.... I think these things can be adapted without loosing the realistic touch of A2089.

These are just some ideas and images from a crazy mek fan :D

son of a preacherman said:
Hi, Matthew!
Perhaps the use of armour plates (a little bit a like a Triceratops - for assault warmeks) will give future warmeks an individual look. From animals we can learn something to create new warmeks - for example a mechanic scorpion tail or a trunk will be something new in the world of warmeks.... I think these things can be adapted without loosing the realistic touch of A2089.

Great idea, they could call it Zoids: 2089
and loose all credibility with customers over 15.

Oh come on Lane Shutt, that wasn't right.

Some people I know are in their 20's and 20's that like ZOIDS.

However the chance for copyright infringment would be there if that idea was done.

Hi, Matthew!

Today I´ve seen the new unit list of Mechwarrior Dark Age - Counter Assault - and I was pissed off! Why ? Because 2/3 of the units are units from the former expansion - packs,.....oh sorry Wizkids....they are not the same.....they are piloted by different mechwarriors and they show different stats....! And some of the new mechs look like figures from their HeroClix product line.....Last but not least I`m sure that I will draw those booster packs, which will contain old known mechs....so I `ve little motivation to buy some new ones!

Of course you will think: "This is the Mongoose website! Why does this crazy Gotterfunke write this post into Mongoose forum!"
Because I just want to show you some mistakes of other miniatures games....and at the moment Wizkids seems to say: "Give me your money - crazy Gotterfunke and then......go home! We just want your moooooooooooooonnnnnneyyyyy....your damned eeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurrrrrrrroooooooosssssssss!" And this is not the right attitude.

So for a miniatures game I expect many new, interesting miniatures and not the old ones..... every expansion should introduce exciting new ones. This would be a great motivation to buy and buy and buy etc.

Götterfunke said:
Hi, Matthew!

So for a miniatures game I expect many new, interesting miniatures and not the old ones..... every expansion should introduce exciting new ones. This would be a great motivation to buy and buy and buy etc.

There in lies one of the major issues people have with the random packs of figures. People like to be able to choose what to spend their money on. Sure, it can be fun at times to pick one up and see what you get, the smae with buying boosters for CCGs, but its not something you want to do that often.

Well people can justify CCG boosters more readily since they cost anywhere from half to a third of the typical pack of figures.

Although generally it depends on how many people play the specific game and how often they play.

Of course in the end it all boils down to personal preferences naturally.

Hi, Matthew!

In order to revive the discussion about your planned miniatures game - I want to put some questions in the net. Perhaps one can give an answer to one of the following questions.

1.) What material will you use for your miniatures?

2.) Will they be prepainted (I prefer prepainted ones, because I'm lacking the time to paint them).

3.) You `ve written in your last post that you will concentrate on the warmeks ....because you are not completly satisfied with the current designs. Do you want to redesign the old ones or will there be new ones in order to show the technical progress.

4.) What do you think about the technical readout. - describing new machines, testing them and writing about their famous battles (+ a rendered image) Such a TRO will be useful for players to get some more informations about their warmeks. Perhaps it will be easier to identify with them.

5.) Do you have some plans to expand the A2089 universe to the Moon and Mars....I like the idea of low gravity warmeks and fights.

Have a nice day!

1. Primarily metal, though it looks like most ranges will also have plastic.

2. Sorry, we are strictly Old School wargamers - you'll have to paintthem yourself!

3. A little of both, I imagine.

4. A TRO is a given for a new game, I think.

5. Oh yes :)

If I can just comment on the answers to the questions real quick...

1. alright that'll work.

2. dang, howsabout helping out fans that can't paint as well as the ones that don't have the time?

3. yeah there are one or two designs that don't look like they can walk at all, a couple of leg redesigns would be a good idea.

4. that would be nice to see

5. I'd like to see information on the Moon but I'm not sure about Mars. One thing I'd like to see is have two separate colonies on Mars, one US and one European, and have those going against each other. It's a though if nothing else.

Overall glad to hear about the plans for the line.

LoneStranger said:
2. dang, howsabout helping out fans that can't paint as well as the ones that don't have the time?

well... if you can't paint.. now's a great time to learn. you don't just pick up a brush and put out stuff like Jen Haley's... if you don't have time... well... I'll get sued for gimmick infringement if I make any comments about "being in the wrong hobby".. but there are plenty of people that will paint your models for a modest fee. some of those people are even quite good...

Back