A very radical departure

AKAramis said:
That would, however, violate their agreement with Kenzer and Co...

HackMaster is based directly upon AD&D 1 & 2...

Yeah, but the agreement probably runs out sometime. It was really more of a comment about how as D&D 3+ has been around for a half dozen years, and the average adge of a starting gamer isn't very old, there is probably a lot of "it's new to me"possibilities for old RPGs.

Closer to home: TO a good chunk of the MRQ crowd, MRQ is the only version of RQ they have seen. So if someone were to pull out something like Cults of Prax or Pavis, it might be seen as new.

andakitty:

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. Next con you're planning on going to, RUN something non-D20/WW. MAKE SOME CONVERTS. Run the best Durned game you can, and have a 1-page synopsis of how the engine works for the players along with the character sheets.

I have given it consideration. A lot. But it's expensive, and I have a number of players who tend to come a'running when I GM a game at home (even though they usually play/run 3.5 or NWoD or Exalted). So it's more a condition of life here in Seattle than a big problem for me personally. Thank goodness. :) ...but I really don't know of any formal RQ groups...CoC, yes, now that I think about it.

Also, C&C may prove more palatable to all those 3.5 players, and then down the road I can introduce them to a BRP style game. Stealth attack. There's more than one way to not be part of the problem... 8)

atgxtg, the most successful CoC group I had used explosives. There was an unfortunate incident early in the game which resulted in one of the players having a fear of guns, so he resorted to explosives (he started carrying hand grenades in his pockets instead of pistols, and dynamite for the big jobs). They did away with a number of Mythos beasties before the end. :roll:

andakitty said:
Also, C&C may prove more palatable to all those 3.5 players, and then down the road I can introduce them to a BRP style game. Stealth attack. There's more than one way to not be part of the problem... 8)

LOTR is a great hybrid in that respect. It uses a mechanic simialr to D&D (roll+stat mod+skill vs Ttarget numbeer). It has classes (that mean little0 and saving throws (that are not level based-nothing is). I ran it with D&Ders who caught on quick.

Rurik said:
atgxtg, the most successful CoC group I had used explosives. There was an unfortunate incident early in the game which resulted in one of the players having a fear of guns, so he resorted to explosives (he started carrying hand grenades in his pockets instead of pistols, and dynamite for the big jobs). They did away with a number of Mythos beasties before the end. :roll:

Always good when you can get them. Perhaps the measnest thing I ever did to someonein a CoC game: I was one of the first ones down the satars and saw the nasty Shoggoth. After seeing that my Thompshom SMG had no effect on it while it started munching on a fellow PC, I calmed went up the staris and asked the guy carrying the double barrelled shotgun to hold the staris while I warmed up the car. I felt bad about it, but he did die before I got the car started, so I didn't abadon him, technically. I was planning on it, and two or three other PCs knew it, but I was running a gangster.

It's hard to give a sincere apology when you'r trying not to luagh.

Back