A Sky Full of Stars

Cut

Mongoose
Hey there...

Is there any information available on this boxed set?
What will it contain? What will you need to play it and so on? Just curious having stumbled upon it whilst looking over the production schedule on this page!

Regards, Cut

Apparently (from has been revealed so far), it would be a self-contained space combat wargame. Non D20, you will still be able to blend it with the rest of Mongoose B5 RPG line. The box will contain everything you need, from rules to minis to measuring aide and dice (I think).

We'll have to wait to find out about other details. You might want to check out a couple of earlier threads where more details are given.

Thanks...

Sounds good to me. I'll take a look on the other threads you mentioned. And wait for the box to happen... 8)

The info on that project have been a rare sight indeed, but there was a discussion several months ago on what such a game should contain.
The announcement appeared in the "general" forum, in the thread named "Mongoose in 2004 - Long!" :

BABYLON 5
The hit selling Babylon 5 RPG continues to go from strength to strength in 2004. Expect to see advanced space combat rules, a galactic guide, Rangers, the Psi Corps and the completion of the season books. Speaking of advanced space combat, this will be a hefty box set, packed full of rules, counters and maps, making it _the_ definitive source for B5 spacecraft. The counters will be to scale with the old B5 Wars range, so you will be able to use your old miniatures. . .

Now that sounds interesting :D

I love box sets with RPGs. Can't wait to see the "Sky Full of Stars".

Apparently (from has been revealed so far), it would be a self-contained space combat wargame. Non D20, you will still be able to blend it with the rest of Mongoose B5 RPG line. The box will contain everything you need, from rules to minis to measuring aide and dice (I think).

This is not so good for me. I don't play wargames, or use minitures. I hope you are correct when you say that it will blend in with the rest of the B5 D20 line. I want rules, history, articles, and information not figures or pieces. While I understand that their are people who like this type of thing, I am not one of them.

(By the way, though this post might sound angry or argumentative it was not meant to be read as such. Its times like this that I realize how much we don't pick up from non-face to face conversations.)

@Mage Ash
You can still play space battles with the current system (in the core book) without minis, although it might need some tweaking, especially when size categories comes to mind. As I understand it, the box set is geared toward the tastes of those interested in an advanced set of rules for space combat, mainly the B5Wars players out there.

Although I don't own any B5Wars minis* and I've never really be interested in wargames myself, I am definitely interested in "A Sky Full of Stars", as I'm collecting the whole line anyway. I will wait until all the books and boxes are out before launching my campaign. It gives me time to plan it carefully, giving special attention to character development.

* I have the rules compendiums with the CD, though.

With "The Babylon Project", the first B5 RPG out there that I know of, the one thing completely missing was the space combat system. That was kind of bad luck for me, cause I've always liked the vessels in Sci-Fi series. Be it Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 or even BattleTech. Naturally I like all the supplements that deal mostly with ships. That's why I'm especialy anxious to see "Sky Full of Stars".
And the decision to make the new box compatible with Babylon 5 Wars (which I didn't know) and the new RPG line is in my eyes a pleasing one for all concerned. And the fact that one could even re-use the minis of B5 wars is a good one for the fans that collected/used them before.
It shows that Mongoose Publishing are keeping things up with their players, which is a very good thing indeed, I'd say.

Cut said:
With "The Babylon Project", the first B5 RPG out there that I know of, the one thing completely missing was the space combat system. That was kind of bad luck for me, cause I've always liked the vessels in Sci-Fi series. Be it Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 or even BattleTech. Naturally I like all the supplements that deal mostly with ships. That's why I'm especialy anxious to see "Sky Full of Stars"..

Actually, "The Babylon Project" did have a combat system. It was in the Eathforce Suppliment and used a modified set of Full Thrust rules. Subsequently, Jon Tuffley (creater of Full Thrust) used many of the rules in updating his full thrust system.

Cut said:
And the decision to make the new box compatible with Babylon 5 Wars (which I didn't know) and the new RPG line is in my eyes a pleasing one for all concerned. And the fact that one could even re-use the minis of B5 wars is a good one for the fans that collected/used them before.
It shows that Mongoose Publishing are keeping things up with their players, which is a very good thing indeed, I'd say.

Don't really think the new rules will be compatible with Babylon 5 Wars. I think it will simply be use ships (concepts like weapon system names, numbers of weapon, etc.) from B5Wars and be scaled such that the minatures made for that game can be used in this new game.

Even though this new system is coming out, give B5 Wars a try. A Sky Full of Stars is (I think) going to be aimed at task force engagements (12-20 ships on a side) while B5Wars was more of a small (1-4 ships) skirmish system. Though B5Wars has gone beyond the Rim, much of it is still available and at good prices.

ronbogard said:
My Dilgar fleet rises again to cover know space in chaos. HAHAHA!

Wouldn't count on the Dilgar being in the basic box set. Theres allot of ships to be done just among the big four (Centauri, Narn, EA and Minbari) besides the obvious League races (Drazi, Brakiri, Vree, Abbai, Pak'ma'ra, Gaim) and the not so obvious League races (Grome, Hurr, Lort, Hyach, Torata, Cascor, Ipsha, Kor-Lyan, Yolu) before we even get to the historical stuff like the Dilgar, Ch'Lon, Koulani, Balosian, Alacan, Corillani, Descari, Markab. And lets not forget the Raiders, Psi-Corp, Belt Alliance, Shadows, Vorlons, remaing First Ones, Strieb and the other various "seen once in the show" vessels. Oh yeah, theres the stuff from Crusade, the Drahk..........

Oh yeah...the Sky Full of Stars book will need to have rules for all this.

--- Rich

This will be good. I played a lot of B5W, and if you tried playing anything over 8,000 pts (more than a handful of capitol ships) it wasn't much fun and became really slow. It was still a great game, this might be better. Being able to play the massive engagements seen in the series will be a real plus.

But I think I had read on GamingReport that there would be some emphasis on fighter vs. fighter combat. Rules for single fighter combat and squadron-level as well?

If I've understood everything that I have read about Sky Full of Stars then it is geared towards the squadron/fleet engagement size battles, about 12-20 ships per side as stated by rbax. However, I think Mongoose was planning on setting the rules up so that you could just as easily make it a squadron of starfuries vs a squadron of sentries.

I believe the intent was to establish the rules as layers so you could put one on top of the other. Mostly to be able to handle larger engagements without adding a considerable amount of time to the game length.

Mind you this is all inferred from the different responses I have read online from Mongoose.

Cut said:

It's only scaled with the minis, not compatable with the rules

Dag'Nabbit said:
If I've understood everything that I have read about Sky Full of Stars then it is geared towards the squadron/fleet engagement size battles, about 12-20 ships per side as stated by rbax. However, I think Mongoose was planning on setting the rules up so that you could just as easily make it a squadron of starfuries vs a squadron of sentries.

I believe the intent was to establish the rules as layers so you could put one on top of the other. Mostly to be able to handle larger engagements without adding a considerable amount of time to the game length.

Mind you this is all inferred from the different responses I have read online from Mongoose.

Gotcha.

Well, since I have a ton of B5 Wars minis, I'm glad to see they're staying consistant with the B5 Wars scales. However, I hope they have a mapless system because one problem I've always found is that those big captial ships get real crowed on those hex maps.

Also, anyone know what ships will be included in this boxed set?

I was impressed with the sneak preview of the Victory Class Destroyer. I hope that means Mongoose can make ships that were seen in the movies and spin-off series as well. That was the reason AoG could not do a Victory, despite all the requests for one, because their license only covered the 5 seasons of the TV series.

I also agree with rbax, check out Babylon 5 Wars and Fleet Action, both games are still available and quite playable.

Well Matt mentioned a "measuring aid" will be included, so it hints to an hexless system. Don't know the exact composition and number of ships included, sorry. It's a little early, but maybe August or Matt can tell us soon, mmmh ? (with a Londo voice)

<laughs> No, no. If you want to use the Londo voice, do it like this:

"Ah, so you were going to tell us about Sky Full of Stars, yes? Of course you were, since we are paying customers and you - my good, dear August - are merely a silly little Earther with delusions of adequacy. So, why don't we sit down, open a bottle of Brevari, and you can ~regale~ us with your tidbits of information."

<grins>

-August

August,

That is both funny and scary, it's so close to the real thing, I think Mr Jurasik should be worried he'll be out of any possible future work.

Might explain why the Centauri Republic Fact Book was so good though!

Keep up the good work.

Peter a.k.a. lastbesthope

"I have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Back