A New Universe for ACTA's

godsgopher

Mongoose
ha ha....

Very Funny, but your suppose to save these things for April fools.

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/

On a more serious note who are you leasing the license from? The makers of Star Fleet Battles?

I found the following on the Star Fleet Battles Blog site.

The biggest news of the week was that Secret Contract U was signed on Saturday. Expect a press release on Wednesday the 15th telling you all about this joint venture deal to create three major new product lines in cooperation with a game company that is as big today as SFU was in 1983 (and will be in 2012).

Followed by this;

"Marketing Monday: Alert sent out. Mongoose leaked the news of the deal. (They thought they were clever and that no SFU person would figure out that it was us, not somebody else, they made a deal with, but Kirov was a giveaway.)"

Anyway, regardless if the cat got out of the bag before it was suppose to. ACTA's is defiantly up to the challenge of converting the Star Fleet Battles system. SFB is an exceptional game which unfortunately is more the realm of extreme hardcore gamers and Lawyers, not rule lawyers, but actual law students, I have the basic rule book on my shelf its 200+ pages of fine print rules and about 10 pages of fluff.

ACTA's is defiantly up to the challenge of converting things over though and making this exceptional game much faster to play, as well as bringing it to a much easier going gamer audience. I'm very excited about the prospect of playing a game in an hour rather than just getting one turn done involving only two ships.

It's not like SFB is the only Star Fleet Universe game out there; ADB has the more streamlined Federation Commander system (developed in-house), plus the setting has already been ported over into Starmada by Majestic 12 Games.

(I suspect the success of the Starmada project may have helped set a useful precedent for this new development; in showing how game engines without the energy allocation key to both SFB and FC can still work well with the wider setting.)

As a longtime (30 years) players of SFB and a playtester of both Federation Commander and Starmada... Let me be amongthe first to say, "I can't wait to get my hands on this one!" :D

Yes, it's true, and we look forward to working well with our British cousins.

Matthew and I have spent months negotiating this contract and we have become fast friends over that experience. For a very complex contract, this was about the easiest one to actually get signed I have ever seen.

Mongoose will replace all of my metal starships with new ones that are larger and better and nicer and have more details. (Part of the reason that I was willing to do this deal was that my old friend Rob Glass will be doing the 3d work on the ships. Nobody could do a better job. We have some of his images of the first ship on our website.)

My own team will be doing Prime Directive Traveller while Matthew and his team do ACTA:Star Fleet.

Please understand that the contract with Paramount is very firm on what can and cannot be done. You never saw a cardassian in SFB and you won't see one in ACTASF.

Welcome to the forums, Steve. This announcement has certainly made my week, as well as that, i'm sure , of many other people.

Wait bigger than the existing Spaceship models?!?!? Those are already decent size. however the idea of more detail is defiantly exciting.

godsgopher said:
Wait bigger than the existing Spaceship models?!?!? Those are already decent size. however the idea of more detail is defiantly exciting.

ADB's FB page has a picture of the 3D print in the miniature album.

New models = good, but please, please, please keep the same scale as the existing range!!!

I would tend to agree with DM, if for no other reason than to keep the price of the miniatures down. I really don't want to pay 20$ for one ship. If the prices are high I'll still buy, but not nearly as many ships as I would otherwise.

Well, I didn't go for Knobbly Armada, but as a long-time SFB and Federation Commander player I'm *very* interested in this.

That Rob Glass is involved with the new minis is very good news - his work on the old B5 range was outstanding.

If I had to guess I suspect they will try and have the book out Christmas. However I have no clue what Winter 2011 really means.

Ok this has all gotten to on a trip down memory lane. Star Fleet Battles Universe is an exceptional setting, and by that I mean its more than just a "Trek" game. SFBU in may ways is a complete history of warfare. Now I like the new Noble Armada, but let me say this. SFBU makes it look like a shallow puddle when compared to a swimming pool. Let me give you a handful of examples about just what we are looking at.

Ships:
In SFBU Starships are viewed as swiss-army knives. Rather than just moving and shooting and getting shot, in SFBU you can expect ships to engage in Science missions, launch probes, launch and recover shuttle craft, flood space with Electronic Warfare, transport marines away on special missions, and generally pull fun tricks out of a hat, on top of shooting a slew of weapons and your all important shield strengths. And all of this from every single ship, the specialty ships just do one or two jobs that much better! Of course in SFB's this meant the rules got pretty involved, something they tried to fix in Federation Commander.

History: SFBU is a history. The General War ranges over a thirty year period. During this time there are numerous major campaigns, upsets, defeats, advances in technology, Alien invasions, changes in tactics, and plenty of Drama! Most of this is played out through a very very large number of historic scenarios. Now were talking specific scenarios here not generic set up battles! All of this easily sucks you into this rich world.

Systems based in reality: SFBU is much more than just fluff. The weapons and systems used while fictional, are often based on current military technology being deployed today. Your fleet of ships is much more than just an assortment of individual ships, they enhance each other becoming more than the sum of there parts. For Example: The Drone missiles deal with many of the issues real missile systems do. You can expect to fire your Drones, have the enemy engage in evasive maneuvers, Use point defense weaponry, Electronic Jamming, Wild weasels, Tractor beams and even teleported mines to stop you from hitting him.

Fluff: SFBU doesn't lack for fluff ether, while its game system was originally an extremely hardcore game the designers none the less invested a great deal of time to giving detail to the game. Everything from Ships to famous captains and battlefleets often have there own unique fluff and flavoring in the game. I can think of few games that have developed there setting as much as the SFBU. Of course were talking 30 years of gaming here!

The bottom line is I think you are are going to be very pleased with this game.

Winter 2011??? (What Date?)

Dunno. Happy to leave it as 'Winter' and not be given a date then subsequently disappointed.

I would agree with the comment that they'd have to be certifiable not to want it in place for Christmas, though I'd doubt they'd want to release it that late if they can avoid it.

SFB was my first "table-top" game. ACTA: B5 was the first game I learned after moving to Germany and the first game I ever submitted something for. This is very exciting.

Back