A Lack o' Lakes

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
Having examined the Road of Kings in relative detail, does it not strike anyone as particularly odd that there are no lakes in the various regions of Hyboria? I feel this is worthy of notice.

Are there any other features which are curiously absent from the geography?

Any geographical/geological anomalies that are present?

I imagine there are a lot of lakes and smaller rivers. Howard's sketches only marked out major features of importance to his stories. The maps made from those early maps did not elaborate much, other than drawing in mountains (usually too many and too high - like the mountains so many maps (such as the one in the new Hyborian age books) insist on drawing around Khauran, even though Howard described that land VERY well, and there are no mountains).

There is a sizable lake in the woods behind my grandparents' house, but I don't recall ever seeing it on a map of America (or even a map of Indiana).

On a continent sized map, it is hard to show all the little lakes that must exist.

Thanks for the input, Sir.
The Road of Kings is a fine work--lakes or not.
I guess I will have to look harder if I want to go fishing in Hyboria. :D

Its not suprising that there are no lakes, if you look at a map of europe you'll see little in the way of rivers and lakes, its all about scale. In a US map the only lakes you see are the great lakes which are huge.

Tim Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 pm Post subject:
Its not suprising that there are no lakes, if you look at a map of europe you'll see little in the way of rivers and lakes, its all about scale. In a US map the only lakes you see are the great lakes which are huge.

HUGE! And beautiful... :)

Strom said:
Tim Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 pm Post subject:

HUGE! And beautiful... :)
Yes, yes they are.
Bregales, native of Oswego, on Lake Ontario, in the Empire State of New York at thuh bottum uv which d'is da Nyooo Yowk City.

(Making reference to Ontario makes me wanna break out me Gordon Lightfoot CD - ah let the depressing feel-good music begin! :lol: )

Back